Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
fordfun

Default Camber Problem?

I'm continuing to work on the 1929 Sport Coupe I acquired last spring. The front passenger-side tire that accompanied the car is badly worn, and requires replacement. The wear pattern is uneven, showing excessive wear on the outer side. In looking at the car head-on from the front, the wheel appears to have excessive positive camber (the top of tire leans out away from the car). Before mounting the new tire on this side, I'd like to verify whether there is a camber problem. What is the best way to determine this?

I understand that a camber problem may be caused by a bent axle. How can I determine whether the car has that condition?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide here. - Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ft. Pass. tire.jpg (42.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Ft. Pass. wheel.jpg (44.3 KB, 66 views)
fordfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
lotuselan36

Default Re: Camber Problem?

Find a old school front end shop. Old alignment pits were equipted to bend axles. There may not be anyone that knows how to do it any more.
lotuselan36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Mikeinnj

Hackensack N.J. Auto Spring and Wheel Alignment has a pit and 50 years of experience.

www.hackensackspring.com
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
ford3

as was mentioned, take it to a front end shop, let your fingers do the walking, start calling all shops near you, bending a front axle is one jop that needs to be left to a person with experience in doing that and has the the proper tools
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
fordfun

I appreciate the suggestions about correcting a bent axle if I have one. However, I'm still back at the point where I'm trying to determine whether the car has camber and axle problems. How do I go about determining that?
fordfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

take it to any computerized wheel alignment place. stay away from those chain places (tire stores,pepboys,etc )as they are a bunch of idiots. find an independent repair facility with a modern rack such as hunter. you can even call hunter for a list of places, and see what the READINGS are. possibly just the toe is out as model A's do have a natural angle of the way yours is sitting. ck the front end first for play incld king pins before you go

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 04-15-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
ford3

as every one is telling you, take the car to a front end shop, you cant do that at home, you can screw around all day and get nothing done to correct it even if you find the adjustment is out, a front end shop will tell you in 5 mins, it takes an inclimeter the tool that bolts on the rim and tells you how much camber you have, and if you dont have that tool you will be out there all day with a tape trying to figure if the camber is wrong, quit being stuborn and take it where you can get an answer
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
PC/SR

An independent front end shop, or a truck shop, should be able to measure it. Specs from the engine/chassis manual reprinted from Dykes has toe in 1/16", + or - 1/32. Camber is 1 13/16, caster of 5 degrees. The local guy who did mine thought 1 13/16 was a little much, he recommended 1.5" and that has not been a problem for me.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
Kevin in NJ

Take the weight off the wheels and what kind of play do you have? Check top to bottom and front to rear. While one person rocks the wheel the checks for what is moving. How good is the spindle? I have seen some awful wear where the bearing ride on the bottoms of some spindles.

How about dropping a string next to each wheel and measure the difference at the top of the rim to the bottom of the rim. May not be conclusive, but it could give you a clue.

A little aside, from the picture your spring appears to have some rust color on the edges. Also the shackles seem to be pushed pretty far out. You might be in need for spring maintenance.

If you happen to take the front end apart here is how you check the axle:

Front axle straightening
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
Mike

I had a roadster pick up in my shop with the same issue, it was a bent spindle. Take the drums off both sides and inspect each spindle to see if it is bent.

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
bettlesr

Yup!
Mine turned out to ba a bent spindle. Replaced it with a good used one and it has been OK since. I put a square against the backing plate and the tip of the spindle was not parallel to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of DSC01307.jpg (62.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of DSC01313.jpg (43.0 KB, 60 views)