Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2016, 05:47 AM   #1
mikebell

Default 302 in 1934 ford pickup, mikebell

What modern ford engine and trans , either auto or 5 speed will fit 1934 ford pickup without having to cut or mess with the x-member . Any input from you guys would be appreciated. Looking at ford 302s .
mikebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:06 AM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: 302 in 1934 ford pickup, mikebell

Mike, why not think about "modernizing" a Flathead Ford engine and a 3 speed top load early Ford transmission? This is what most of us here are about.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:27 AM   #3
Bored&Stroked

Hey Mike: Given the design of the stock 33/34 X-Member, I don't believe you can fit any modern 302 Ford style engine and transmission into the frame. It is very narrow in the X-Member area, so you'll need to either go "traditional" as John mentioned above (which is what the FordBarn is all about) - or you'll need some serious cutting/fabrication work to redo the center area as well as create the necessary motor mounts up front. Another thing to think about in using a SBF is that the overall engine length can be a bit much - unless you run the right combination of water pumps and belt-drive systems (so you don't have to cut your firewall). I'm not an expert in SBF parts combinations - you may want to check on the HAMB site to see what folks have used. You may want to check with Chassis Engineering as well . . . they make a few kits that might get you started:

http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/

In the end, most everybody on this site would love to see you put a nicely built flathead and 39 style transmission in it - and not see anything cut up!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
deuce lover

You can fit a 302 and C4 in a 33-34 Ford frame without altering the X member.The saddle for the trans mount will have to be trimmed or removed.I did it in 1973 for a 34 roadster I built.Look on EBAY, July 1974 Street Rodder.The car on the cover is that car.You will have to alter the firewall.Click on my user ID and send an email w/contact phone number if you want accurate details.

Last edited by deuce lover; 05-23-2016 at 10:32 AM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
mikebell

Thanks for your input. I have the original first gen engine in it and it runs fine. Since it is all original but for the paint I really am thinking about keeping it that way, just dont like the tunneled driveshaft and rear end.
mikebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
Ol' Ron

A 33/34 is a fairly light car and a 276 flathead properly built can be had at a reasonable price. Using the F150 3 plus OD would make this a very good p reformer. I'd op for an open drive to save money on broken axles.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #7
deuce lover

Mike, If you want to keep the flatty that is fine.I would opt for the T5 ,then you can change the rear and have open drive.The T5 will fit easily but you still will need to modify the saddle.I had a 36 5W that I kept the flatty but went with a T5 and 57 wagon 9". Them T5's IMO much better than the 39 type trans.Full synchro to.Ford trucks in mid 80's had a T170 which is a 4 sp.The 4th gear is an overdrive Plus its a top loader.Nice trans.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #8
2ndgeer

About 25 years ago I installed a 302 Ford with a C4 in my '34 pickup. The secret to installing it was to use the Snow-White Opel water pump conversion. I did not cut the firewall and I used a mechanical fan. The saddle was removed to fit the small C4 but the remainder of the frame was untouched. One of the reasons I now have a 59 AB flathead in the truck is because the AC condenser in front of the radiator made the hood fit poorly. Ironically, I don't have AC on the flathead because neither did Henry!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 302ACdriverside.jpg (76.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg '68 Ford 302" and C4 in '34 Ford chassis_2.jpg (58.3 KB, 115 views)
2ndgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:31 AM   #9
Bored&Stroked

If you go the T5 approach and modify the saddle - try to drill all the rivets out of it and remove the complete unit . . . that way you have it for the future if you ever want to put it back. Also, the T5 shifter is going to be further back towards the seat, so there will undoubtedly be some work in the floorpan area. (I'm not sure what a truck has in this area, so it may just be floor-boards??? - never built one).

The other thing that comes to mind with this package is the steering box - have no idea as to if the original will fit or not (might need a custom/modern setup) . . . something to think about. Then, there is the clutch/brake pedals and master cylinder setup (which the original chassis obviously didn't have) - so this will need to be sorted out as well. Then there is the exhaust system . . . then the radiator, then a trans cooler (if C4) - the list goes on!

What one finds is that once you start the modifications - the list will get longer and your desire to keep stuff as original as possible will be a challenge. Just research ALL The modifications and know what you're getting into before you start.

It is super simple to put a 39-48 truck style transmission (open drive - 3 speed) into this chassis - then you can change the rear-end to an open drive (your desire) - like a nice Ford 8" and make a clean setup with as few modifications as possible. It will take some fabrication work for rear control arms/rods/4-bars, etc - but not a big deal.

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 05-24-2016 at 06:40 AM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote