Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2023, 06:40 PM   #1
fordor41

Default fordomatic

Anyone know if a 2 sp fordomatic from a 292 Y-block will fit a 352 FE engine?
I'm thinking the 2 are completely different bell housing bolt patterns.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 09:28 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: fordomatic

I don't have a clue but this article might help give you a better idea???

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/art...c-transmission
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 10:02 PM   #3
craig

A Ford or Merc Y block bellhousing bolt pattern is not the same as a 332-428 FE bellhousing bolt pattern. Why would you want to do it anyway?
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 11:17 AM   #4
rotorwrench

The FE family of engines had more torque & horsepower than the average Y-block. The dual range cruise-o-matic was developed to work with them. The 2-speed aluminum case transmission was for light duty applications.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 03:27 AM   #5
KULTULZ

Question Re: fordomatic

FORD used the F/M/2 with the FE from 1959 to 1962 as an option.

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 01:44 PM   #6
rotorwrench

The original small case Ford-O-Matic was discontiued in favor of a new 2-speed. Ford also needed an automatic to work with the new Falcon, Ranchero, and Comet cars introduced for the 1960 model year. The 144 six was the standard engine for these cars. Ford just used the new aluminum case 2-speed to fill the gap for folks that had a tight budget. It was used on the larger 223 & 262 six cylinder engines and light duty V8 engine applications like the basic 292 & 352 with 2V carburetor. The C4 transmission effectively replaced the 2-speed for the 1964 model year.

I imagine finding one that will fit an FE will take a while since they were only around from 1959 through 1963. The bell and case are integral on these.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-21-2023 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-21-2023, 10:44 PM   #7
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig View Post
A Ford or Merc Y block bellhousing bolt pattern is not the same as a 332-428 FE bellhousing bolt pattern. Why would you want to do it anyway?
Maybe I worded my post wrong. I have a 292 Y-block and am looking for a trans replacement for my damaged fordomatic 2 speed. I found a 2 speed but it is for a FE engine.
Old 04-22-2023, 04:56 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Quote:
I found a 2 speed but it is for a FE engine.
Now there is an odd one. Wonder how many are looking for one?
Old 04-22-2023, 05:21 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: fordomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

FORD used the F/M/2 with the FE from 1959 to 1962 as an option.
FORD also used the FM from 1958 to 1960 alongside the FX (intro 1958 model run).

The FM (2nd gear start) and F/M/2 was FORD's answer to the POWERGLIDE and other model GM 2S AT of the period.

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
Old 04-22-2023, 10:00 AM   #10
rotorwrench

Searching flea-pay and C-list is one way. Ask around about old salvage yards but they may be as rare as those transmissions in the midwest and northeast. Flat top Bob Owen's salvage yard up in the panhandle (Wellington, Tx) and a yard over in Seguin named John's Salvage would be worth a call but shipping to Elmira-Horseheads may be pretty high. I used to ship and receive a lot of helicopter stuff from the old Schweizer Aircraft Plant up there.

What parts are damaged on your 2-speed? The reason I ask is that there is a good chance that the only thing different about the two V8 transmissions is the main case. All the other parts are more than likely the same, The ones for the little 6-cylinder engines still had an air cooling feature for the torque converter but the V8 types were all liquid cooled set ups. I'm not sure if the early ones were vacuum modulated but all 1961 & later types were.

Other than having a front and rear pump, these units were pretty simple. There are even U-tube videos on them out there. Two bands, a clutch pack, and a simple planetary is what makes them shift & go. Even the valve body and regulator are relatively simple. I wished I'd learned on something that simple before tackling the Cruise-O-Matic in an old 64 T-bird I used to have.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-22-2023 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-22-2023, 04:25 PM   #11
craig

I couldn't find a a replacement for the aluminum 2 speed in my 352, '60 Galaxie, back in 1967. Changed it over to a Cruise-O-Matic.
I'd think if somebody had a good one today it might sell
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 10:21 PM   #12
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
Maybe I worded my post wrong. I have a 292 Y-block and am looking for a trans replacement for my damaged fordomatic 2 speed. I found a 2 speed but it is for a FE engine.

I must have been on speed! I found a 3 SPEED but was for a FE block. I was trying to find a 2 speed so it will be a "plug & play". I finally located a 3 speed for a Y-block. Reason why I'm changing the trans is it grenaded at 60 MPH and cracked the main case and tail shaft housings. Found tail shaft housing and internals but case is like finding hens teeth. Am going with the 3 speed and hoping it's not like reinventing the wheel! Thanks for the info.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:07 AM   #13
fiddy6

I think the fordomatic 2 speed thing confuses people.

most fordomatics were 3 speed. most started in 2nd and shifted to 3rd (1:1). 1st could be obtained from the column at a stop or low enough speed.

There was a genuine 2 speed fordomatic but was only really in 60's or later. I think it had an alloy case.

FE fordo's and cruiseo's have a a different bell housing to a y block one. The bell housings are interchangeble but be careful with the torque convertors. Mid 56 and previous were air cooled and had a two(main) piece bolt together converter that had a different pump engagement...

no warrentees expressed or implied on this information.

from a start, I shift my fordomatic (air cooled 56) like this, I pull low on the column and ring out 1st, push the level to D to catch 2nd... a few seconds later I pull it to low again to hold 2nd and then back to D to get 3rd. It goes without saying but you keep your foot flat in it the whole way...
fiddy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 11:26 AM   #14
rotorwrench

The way the TV is controlled by the throttle. A person could just start out in low and shift to D if the throttle was all the way down. That maxes the pressure out in the system and allow the governor to control the shift. I learned from experience that those old cast iron cases may not be able to do that too many times before they crack or the clutch packs give out. I've seen a lot of metal in the salvage yard take outs when looking for parts to make one good transmission.
Old 04-25-2023, 06:56 AM   #15
KULTULZ

Quote:
A person could just start out in low and shift to D if the throttle was all the way down. That maxes the pressure out in the system and allow the governor to control the shift.
I don't think I would do much of that.