Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2021, 09:07 AM   #341
Darrell S

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

If I had a shop like yours all I would add is a microwave and a bed. Who would need a house?
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:40 AM   #342
sugarmaker

Folks, David,
Thanks on the wiper motor, and the shop! I seem to be going slightly over board even for my usually low expectations on the shop. But having fun and enjoying the build. During the concept stages a year and a half ago these were some of the details I imagined in the shop. I am trying not to think about all the things I need to do to provide some work areas and storage. We will just try to not think about that now. Kind of like the truck project. in a whole its too big. So try to take little steps. Need to talk to Snyder's and machine shop today too.
Today I am tuning up our Maple Syrup for our local Crawford County Fair. Wouldn't think that would take much, but to be competitive, its luck or paying attention to the details.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:42 AM   #343
DavidG

Chris,

It's more than luck, I'm sure, as the quality of Maple syrup varies all over the map. Something tells me yours is up there with the very best.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:10 PM   #344
sugarmaker

David, Folks,
I did get a glimpse of the 2021 Best of Show plaque for maple syrup at this years fair. It would look good on my sugarhouse wall!

I did get some information on getting my title corrected for "A" antique and also to use the nice Antique plate that was on the truck when I brought it home. I think they refer to them as vintage plates from the state.
Have to get the forms and take a picture of the plate.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-02-2021, 12:14 PM   #345
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell S View Post
If I had a shop like yours all I would add is a microwave and a bed. Who would need a house?
Darrell,
That could happen too if the little woman kicks me out!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-02-2021, 12:20 PM   #346
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Chris,

The windshield wiper motor is the original or one exactly like the original.

Your shop is beyond the pale. I am jealous.
David I had to google "beyond the pale" Noting in general it refers to being out of bounds or limits. Not sure if applies to my old shed?
Its primarily a place to set a spell, visit and keep beer from aging to much and going bad!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #347
DavidG

Chris,

Bad choice of dated expressions on my part; I should have used "above and beyond" as I meant it as a compliment. Sorry for the mistake.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:42 PM   #348
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Folks, David,
Thanks on the wiper motor, and the shop! I seem to be going slightly over board even for my usually low expectations on the shop. But having fun and enjoying the build. During the concept stages a year and a half ago these were some of the details I imagined in the shop. I am trying not to think about all the things I need to do to provide some work areas and storage. We will just try to not think about that now. Kind of like the truck project. in a whole its too big. So try to take little steps. Need to talk to Snyder's and machine shop today too.
Today I am tuning up our Maple Syrup for our local Crawford County Fair. Wouldn't think that would take much, but to be competitive, its luck or paying attention to the details.
Regards,
Chris

Have you noticed any affect on your syrup production with warmer winter temps? Here in SoCal my overnight chill hour totals seem to be decreasing and my harvest of stone fruit has dropped off in the last couple of years.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:08 PM   #349
sugarmaker

David,
No it was fine! I took it as a compliment, but did not say that. Sometimes we think one thing and it doesnt come across in text.
51504bat,
We are seeing earlier start dates, warmer weather, less rain, shorter seasons. Ok not always but seems to be trending that way. I have only been doing this syrup thing for 60 years so may not be a great judge of it lots of opinions out there on warming trends.
I was able to get the syrup ready for entry into the Fair. So I will report back in 2 weeks about the results. Here is the Golden Delicate syrup and test for light transmissibility. 100 is clear.

The 32, well not much happening other than using it as a place to store wood while drying.

Friend John K pulled in with his very nice 48 Ford and we solved almost all the worlds problems. It runs as good as it looks! Nice to have another Ford guy near by too!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-04-2021, 06:54 AM   #350
sugarmaker

Ford Folks,
So I have actually had to do work for the last few days and was not able to play with the 32. It rests, as the sun goes down last night.

There is always a short list on projects like the truck:
- Check on the seats. No rush on those, just eager to see how the Tuxedo Blue material looks in the faded Washington Blue truck!
- Go to Notary and get paper work for title and vintage plate.
- Visit machine shop and review specs for the B engine and get list of parts to order.
- Get bolts to mount the transmission to the engine stand.

(As the thread takes a right turn!)
The walls for the shop do seem to be progressing. I am not sure I have enough material to do the entire job. Seems we have had some shrinkage along the way. Or the guy doing the calculating did not do a very good job? (me)

Hoping to get away from that for a day and complete other needed tasks, like mowing lawn.

I was able to get wall covering on one room in the shop. (The bay for the daily driver Ford F250) Would like to complete the window trim before I move on. Some pictures:

Thanks for checking in on me! Hope things are good in Ford land!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-04-2021, 07:06 AM   #351
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
That's a nice truck Chris, and should be a fun project for you getting that back in drivable condition.
I bought one similar to that about 15 years ago. It was also a 131" wb, but had a stake bed rather than dump. Wound up selling it about 5 years ago. Had too many other projects going, and no time to work on that one. I could post some pics if you'd like to see your trucks brother

PS, will post pics when I can go back into my old computer and find them.
John,
Great looking truck you had! ( note the picture is in post #20 , bottom of page 1 ) Very solid looking body too! How did it run?
Was yours on the road? The general driving experience in these?? Any other pictures would be appreciated too!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-04-2021, 12:21 PM   #352
cmbrucew

Chris
Why no insulation?
Beautiful man cave.
Bruce
Old 08-04-2021, 09:00 PM   #353
sugarmaker

Bruce,
?? Insulation?? Yep we have some.
Thanks, it is going to be a nice place to hang out with old Fords and old Friends.

May go look at another truck tomorrow. Yea I know I have one now. This one is different! And needs a lot of attention. Falls in the same years as this section of the Ford Barn but might be better suited over on the HAMB. We will go look. Do I need another project NO! Does the wife want me to have another project? Bigger NO!!!.
But it is close by, and its a Ford and its old and it needs a home, and has been hacked up and, and it would suck up time and funds like its going out of style, and it has been on my bucket list for years!! You get the idea!

The twisted thread takes you into the world of wood. Trimmed out the first window in the shop. 8 more to go.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-04-2021, 10:11 PM   #354
Bored&Stroked

Awesome work! On everything! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:20 AM   #355
sugarmaker

Bored and Stroked, Folks
Thanks! Off to review the gory details of a 32, 4 cylinder "B" engine components and lay out a plan for the potential rebuild.
Should come away with the components that need to be purchased and a plan for the work.
May try to get some pictures along the way too.
This engine work does not really surprise me . 90 year old truck second engine, in service for 20 years and sat for 70 years.
Yea I could use a rebuild myself!

(still looking at other old Ford trucks too! Why you ask? Well my name is Chris and I have a problem! There said it, I feel better now!
We dont call this shop I built the "Ford" Rehab Center for nothing! It could be the "Ford Barn" but I think that is taken?

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-06-2021, 08:35 AM   #356
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Bored and Stroked, Folks
Thanks! Off to review the gory details of a 32, 4 cylinder "B" engine components and lay out a plan for the potential rebuild.
Should come away with the components that need to be purchased and a plan for the work.
May try to get some pictures along the way too.
This engine work does not really surprise me . 90 year old truck second engine, in service for 20 years and sat for 70 years.
Yea I could use a rebuild myself!

(still looking at other old Ford trucks too! Why you ask? Well my name is Chris and I have a problem! There said it, I feel better now!
We dont call this shop I built the "Ford" Rehab Center for nothing! It could be the "Ford Barn" but I think that is taken?

Regards,
Chris

And our response to " Well my name is Chris and I have a problem!" is "welcome Chris" since we are all addicts.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:28 PM   #357
sugarmaker

I understand!
Getting tractor cleaned up to crash a car show! Pictures coming!
Regards
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-06-2021, 03:59 PM   #358
DavidG

Chris,

Speaking of tractors crashing car shows, you'll be pleased to know that the V8 Club embraces 1932-53 Ford tractors as well as four-banger vehicles as we discussed. At any Club national meet east of the Mississippi, there will always be at least one participating.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:51 PM   #359
sugarmaker

Folks,
Got the dimensions of the crank and the journals for the rods, plus rechecked the cylinder bores. While there I decided it might be good to have a spare engine, so working on that in the near future also.

Ok I pulled a really dumb one today on the 32. I was cleaning things and decided to clean the 32 front windshield. Ok outside was fine. I never thought about the inside till i sprayed some glass cleaner on it in a random pattern. Took a couple swipes with a paper towel and realized I had begun to destroy the great 70 year old inspection sticker in the right lower corner! I stopped but damage had already been done to the top edge and the right side. I felt really bad about that. It is still about 90% there. So word of caution to everyone trying to save things like this. I should have known better!

The car show was awesome well attended with cars and visitors! Lots of Fords and folks to talk cars and tractors too! Giving me ideas on another potential Ford truck project too. Saw a great 31 Vicky, black all steel, but had a chevy engine. pictures tomorrow.

David,
Good to know about the Ford tractors too. My Jubilee would fit right in!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-07-2021, 06:33 AM   #360
sugarmaker

Ford Barn Folks,

Headed to the car show last night with one of my toys, Allis Chalmers, WD45, 1954 model.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets