Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2021, 01:26 PM   #1
Duganw

Default Transmission Case Question

I'm in the process of rebuilding the transmission on a '28 Tudor. I have two good cases, one with the shoulder for main bearing stops, and one with snap rings. The case that came out of this car is the one with the shoulder (prior Sept. '29), but one of the issues with this tranny was excessive oil leak through the rear into the u-joint housing. Upon disassembly I found the rear drive shaft bearing was the type without an outer seal which I've remedied, but I'm wondering whether anyone has any information on the pros/cons of each housing type? Is the newer snap ring case better overall?
Duganw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:01 PM   #2
Tom Endy

Default Re: Transmission Case Question

Either one works pretty much the same. However, be sure you have the correct oil baffles on the front and rear ball bearings for whatever housing you intend to use.

The ones with the cast bearings stops use baffles that are slightly smaller in diameter than those used with the snap rings. If you use the baffles designed for snap rings in the housing with the cast stops you will bind up both ends of the transmission. Also be sure to orient them correctly. They can easily be installed backwards and you will be grinding metal into the oil.

Suppliers sell only the snap ring style, so if you use the housing with the cast stops be sure you have the early, smaller diameter baffles.

When you overhaul a transmission it is prudent to install sealed ball bearings front and back. I always remove the inboard seal on both bearings to allow oil to reach the bearing elements. There are people who will disagree with this.

It is also prudent to install a cluster shaft and idler shaft that has been modified with O-rings. The un-modified shafts are notorious for leaking oil. Also make sure you have the correct notched washer on the end of the U-joint. This is a special washer that blocks oil from running past the splines on the output shaft and into the bell housing.

If the three roller bearings that you removed are of the original design and look to be in good condition I would re-use them. The new roller bearings sold by all the suppliers today are of a non-original design coming from offshore and are guaranteed to come apart at about 300-500 miles.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:10 PM   #3
Duganw

Tom thanks for the reply. What you mentioned about the baffles is exactly what I found when I tried to use the old style housing so I'm glad I have a newer case with snap rings. Interesting about the roller bearings, I ordered new ones but the old set looks good so I'll take your advice. I appreciate your comments.
Duganw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
Tom Endy

Attached is an article about the poor quality transmission roller bearings that are currently being sold by most all the suppliers.

Tom Endy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trans Roller Bearings-rev-Z.pdf (160.8 KB, 43 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:18 PM   #5
700rpm

I bought my bearings from a local bearing distributor. American made, and quality. My rule for working in the drive train is, "while you’ve got it apart, assume everything in there needs to be replaced, unless absolutely proven otherwise, and proceed accordingly." It’s just too much trouble to RnR to skimp on new parts.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote