Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #141
Duffy1

Default Re: F150 tranny with overdrive

Will a 4 spd out of a V6 1989 ford ranger work .
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #142
Jim Parker Toronto

Given the right amount of time and money, anything will work. We just try to do things that someone else has done before and done all the engineering. It makes it a lot easier!
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #143
PetesPonies

I think all manual trans were 5 speeds by '89. Those transmissions have an integral bellhousing. That is not the trans you want.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #144
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parker Toronto View Post
Given the right amount of time and money, anything will work. We just try to do things that someone else has done before and done all the engineering. It makes it a lot easier!
I would have never accomplished this if I had to do the engineering and fab work myself. But now that I have it installed, I couldn't be more pleased with the end result.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #145
wensum

Macs Speed shop here in New Zealand makes an alloy bell housing to take the F150 box and this also has the clutch shaft for conventional mounting of the pedals.I believe this is marketed in the States but I'm not sure who by?
Also it should be noted that the spline on the F150 box is shorter than the model A and a special offset clutch plate is require to engage the spline.
I will be running mine with an open prop shaft conversion, but with a hotted up motor and serious driving I believe the diff attenpts to rotate and an arm off the diff is required to counteract this?
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #146
AL in NY

Wensum, I believe if you use the Mac's Speed Shop bellhousing, you don't have to shorten the F150 input shaft by 5/8" like you have to with the "AA" bellhousing. And, like you said, there's a pedal shaft on the Mac's unit, but not on the "AA" bellhousing.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #147
Pete

I installed one of the popular kits for a customer once and have talked to at least 20 people that have the transmission in discussion and EVERY one of them said after driving it that they were not completely satisfied with the ratios. I noticed quite a few on this thread said the same thing.
I have always wondered, why do something you, in most cases, are not going to be satisfied with.
I bought an A several years ago just to resell and it had one in it. I could not sell it as it was because no one liked the transmission. I had to put a 5 speed in it to sell it.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #148
CarlG

The RTS transmission in my PU has the same gears as a stock Model A (gears 1 thru 3) with the added 4th gear 26% OD. I am very satisfied with this arrangement. See Al in NY post #130 above. Anything higher than 26% would be unsatisfactory and for sure you wouldn't like it. Gotta do your homework if you are going to spend that kind of time and money on this.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #149
partridgekelley

I have a friend with a 30 fordor , he had a s10 put in it by a guy who butchered his car. Had to put in a open driveshaft and made a mess of that too. The center crossmember was cut so bad it's a weak spot on the car. I had to work for weeks to straighten out what I could. The owner likes the tranny but I think it wrecked the car. I bought a kit to put an 85 f-150 4 speed o/d tranny in my 29 tudor and it's great. I had to notch the center crosmember - but very little. The kit came with shortened driveshaft and radius rods and used an AA bellhousing so no problems with the petals at all. I have driven both cars and like mine much better - it's my baby! His car is heavier and has more selection of gears in the hills. I also have a 28 closed pick-up I put a set of 3;54 gears in the rear and a Mitchell overdrive(with stock trans) DON'T DO
THAT! I have a problem because it's too high geared. Going to have to put the 3:78 gears back in soon. Check it out as much as you can before you spend your $. Good Luck Gary
partridgekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #150
Bassman/NZ

Aint this forum great! In one post it was stated that the F150 ratios are not right, in the next the owner was very happy! Boy, talk about confusion. Seems to me (I'm guessing of course) that a full bodied A is better with the T5, but a lighter car like a fenderless roadster will be OK with the F150. But what do I know? I'm just trying to arm myself with as much info as possible for when I do a swap later in the year.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #151
Jim Parker Toronto

I love my 26% F150. While it is the same ratio as the A for 1, 2, and 3, the syncros more than make up for any shortfalls. 4th gear is a dream come true! It's installed in a 30 Fordor, so I guess its one of the heavier cars. I have the 3:54 gears and do not find them a problem. I do have a B engine, so power is not a problem........
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #152
bettlesr

I drove a friends Sport Coupe in Florida with the 3:1 first gear and a 37% OD. The car had the smaller diameter 16" tires and a hopped up engine. It ran great on the road. I ordered the same ratio trans for my Sport Coupe again with a reworked engine and 16" wheels. Probably put it in when the driving season stops. I got mine from Sheridan transmissions (616-837-6477). It uses the stock bellhousing, and a shortened drive shaft. He cuts the top bolt off of the universal bell and it just clears the cross member. Just shims the brake cross shaft down about 1/4". I will post some pictures when I finally make the switch. Using the 16" tires with a 3.78 rear is almost the same as the stock tires with a 4.11 rear.
bettlesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #153
Duffy1

bettlesr ;

Six montha ago I purchased a late 31 sw ,B touring engine, LFW ,v8 clutch ,f 150 OD and 16 in wheels.Originally I felt like the O D ratio was to ( still trying to find out what it is as there is no tag on the transmission ) high but mine is suppose to be a Gary Benard conversion and as I understand it he only sells low ration ( 26 % ) conversions . Now that I have the engine properly tuned you can run down the hwy at 55mph with AC on ,no sweat , and if you don`t watch it you will be up to 60 mph and not realize it . Great combination .
Old 07-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #154
chiliman

what ratios do you guys have? Checking the tag I found out the one in my four door is the 37% I
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #155
chiliman

I have a nother one that is going in my rodester pickup and it looks like it is the 41% what ring and pinion should I use? what are you guys running thanks
Old 07-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #156
Duffy1

I have no tag on my transmission . So I am trying to find out . Based on who supposedly furnished the trans it should be the low ratio but I have no way to verify that.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #157
miss victoria

ive done over 140 conversions in 20 + years use the 37 or 26 % o.d. you wont like the 41%.
miss victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #158
bettlesr

By checking the tag on the one I drove in Florida and on mine and actually counting the ratios with the trans out on mine, they are both the 3.00 1st, 1.77 2nd, 1.00 3rd and .725 4th. this is the 37% trans. With the stock trans and the new engine I can easily start in second or go around corners without shifting. A lot better for the car and more fun to downshift though!
bettlesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #159
chiliman

So has any one run the 41% with a 4-11 rear end? what are the results? thanks
Old 07-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #160
miss victoria

your 1st and 2nd gear would be to low 1st would not even be usable.
miss victoria is offline   Reply With Quote