Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2021, 01:07 PM   #1
dmar836

Default Flathead Machine shop in Kansas City area?

I'm sure it's been asked before. Need machine shop only. I can cut valve seats and assemble. Just need a crack check and bore.
One in Basehor too busy. Others questionable on flat head experience.
Any solid ideas?

D
dmar836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:41 PM   #2
Krylon32

Default Re: Flathead Machine shop in Kansas City area?

Contact Baxter Ford Parts in Lawrence Kansas to see who does their machine work. Ask for Bob.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #3
dmar836

Thanks, that was always in the back of my mind. Will update.
D
Old 07-14-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
Ol' Ron

Most machine shops can do all the machine work necessary for your assembly. Bake cleaning and magnafluxing, valve jobs and boring, as well. Just don't ask if they want to rebuild one
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:05 AM   #5
itslow

If all you need is a crack check and boring, then any competent engine machine shop can handle that work. There's nothing special about the flathead in that department.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #6
dmar836

I've been told due to the crank offset that indexing incorrectly for boring can ruin a flathead pretty quick. Do they index off the deck or crank?

D
Old 07-16-2021, 01:59 PM   #7
Rudolph

Someone I know sent his block to a shop and the guy didn’t know what he was doing and messed it up, took too much of the deck and put a big chomp in one of the bores
Rudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:35 PM   #8
dmar836

Yeah that sounds like basic ignorance of machining unless it was that centerline shift thing.

I asked on the HAMB and, though there are many posts about the offset crank, nobody will answer as to how this effects boring the cylinders. Do you typically index off the crank C/L thus causing an issue or off the deck? I assumed the decks are perpendicular to the bores.
Any help there?
Old 07-19-2021, 01:59 PM   #9
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmar836 View Post
I've been told due to the crank offset that indexing incorrectly for boring can ruin a flathead pretty quick. Do they index off the deck or crank?

D
Deck.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:02 PM   #10
Pete

There are many different brand machines for boring blocks and several different methods for centering and squaring on the bore. First off, since this is about boring cylinders, we will assume you have checked the main line to see it is on size and straight.

Probably the oldest cylinder boring method was to first determine if the deck was good enough to re-use with slight cleaning with abrasive cloth wrapped over a flat file or straight edge.
Then the boring bar was set on the deck and centered on a cylinder AT THE BOTTOM where wear was a minumum. The block could be set up in a fixture or just propped up on the floor with wood blocks. This method relied on the original factory machining for the cylinder to be square with the crank centerline. For race engines, the deck was surfaced first to assure it was square with the crank. Kwikway, Van Norman and early Rottler's were examples of this type of boring bars.
Next, Rottler was probably the first to come out with a machine that set the block up on the crank centerline. They have an air gauge to determine if the deck is square with the crank. This type of setup has a big advantage in that if you have done any kind of repair on the deck, need sleeves surfaced off or it needs to be squared, the deck can be surfaced after boring the cylinders and be assured it will be square with the cylinders.
Next came the CNC machines that do several different block machining operations all from one setup. (and you can step out for a cup of coffee while the machine does the work)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:52 AM   #11
dmar836

Excellent info, guys. Thank you.

Just so I understand. If one bored the cylinders of these particular engines indexing off the crank C/L, they would cant the bore in relation to the deck? I assume that would also mean a huge cut to account for the mistake.
I have two shops recommended now but not sure how to ensure they know what to do.
Ask what kind of machine they use and that they index off the deck and lower cyl rather than the crank C/L?
Thanks for the explanations,
D

Last edited by dmar836; 07-20-2021 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:01 PM   #12
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmar836 View Post
Excellent info, guys. Thank you.

Just so I understand. If one bored the cylinders of these particular engines indexing off the crank C/L, they would cant the bore in relation to the deck? I assume that would also mean a huge cut to account for the mistake.
I have two shops recommended now but not sure how to ensure they know what to do.
Ask what kind of machine they use and that they index off the deck and lower cyl rather than the crank C/L?
Thanks for the explanations,
D
They are just going to bore the existing cylinders oversize unless you tell them to do something different.

Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 01:26 PM   #13
Krylon32

Bring your block up to Schmidt Machine in Fairbury Nebraska. He's done a lot of both street and high performance flatheads. He's done 6 for me with no problems. 3 hour drive from KC
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:51 PM   #14
JWL
Member Emeritus

I agree with Pete. A basic street engine can be done with simple deck and original bores as locating points. The crank offset is absolutely meaningless for even modern fixturing and machines UNLESS there is the urge to also align the cam during the same setup.

As an aside, one of the engines in my cars I bored with a Kwik-Way of 1936 vintage with the original 1/4 HP motor on it. Yes, it was a elongated job. But, I did it because I could and to imagine what machinist encountered "back in the day". Way before I had powerful(and expensive0 options.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 03:33 PM   #15
dmar836

JWL, I would do that too if I had that machine. I have a Kwik Way line bore setup and a valve surfacing machine. Also New Way seat cutters. Just no boring setup. I would enjoy doing it all myself the slow way.
Krylon32, I might consider that depending what the suggested Wichita shop says.

So, if the bore job is so basic, how do shops screw up flathead V-8s any more than an OHV V-8? What are all the flathead warnings about? I have passed on plenty of shop options(with less flathead experience) as I thought "they had to know flatheads". If there's nothing to be concerned about I wonder what the issue is?

Great help guys. I really appreciate the advice.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:34 PM   #16
JWL
Member Emeritus

Probably those who "screw up" a Flathead bore operation are addicted to the BHJ, or similar tooling, which align the cam line and crank line with the bores being set at 45 degrees. I thought I mentioned that problem?? Locating the block on the crank is not essential, nor has it been used for thousands of re-bored Flathead engines. Only the deck face and the bores are used for satisfactory alignment on a typical engine.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:28 PM   #17
dmar836

Awesome. Thank you all so much.
D