Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #41
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 49-53 mercury flathead oil pump help

Your oil pressure readings sound about perfect to me!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #42
cas3

is this car in the building stages or has it been on the road for while? if all gauges are reading incorrect i would think there is a ground problem. body and dash all grounded good to the frame and battery?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:50 PM   #43
RandyMettler

Cas3,
In response to your question:
"is this car in the building stages or has it been on the road for while? if all gauges are reading incorrect i would think there is a ground problem. body and dash all grounded good to the frame and battery?"

I am glad you asked that question. The car has been on the road. The battery negative is grounded directly to the body. I found that weird. The body is grounded to the engine. Every time I start the car to test my changes I get a shock from the door when I get out of the car. I think it is a ground problem but cleaned all the connections. I never have owned a car that shocks me every time I get out of it. It does not shock me when I get into and out without starting the motor.

Last edited by RandyMettler; 02-10-2019 at 05:57 PM.
RandyMettler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:38 PM   #44
tubman

The dipsticks may be marked. I have seen them with 8BA and 8CM markings, as well as no markings. I'm sure I haven't seen them all. I have never seen a tube with markings. You may have to get it running with 5 quarts of oil in the engine and filter and mark the dipstick yourself.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:53 PM   #45
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMettler View Post
Cas3,
In response to your question:
"is this car in the building stages or has it been on the road for while? if all gauges are reading incorrect i would think there is a ground problem. body and dash all grounded good to the frame and battery?"

I am glad you asked that question. The car has been on the road. The battery negative is grounded directly to the body. I found that weird. The body is grounded to the engine. Every time I start the car to test my changes I get a shock from the door when I get out of the car. I think it is a ground problem but cleaned all the connections. I never have owned a car that shocks me every time I get out of it. It does not shock me when I get into and out without starting the motor.
Need a ground to the frame as well. 12v really shouldn't shock you, are you sure there is not some leakage from a coil wire or plug wire?
Old 02-10-2019, 09:21 PM   #46
RandyMettler

JSeery,

No, not sure about the coil wire or spark plugs but they seem to be new. The car was recently built from a shell. New motor, interior, glass, etc. Don't know how I would determine the leakage. As far as I can determine there is no ground to the frame. but throughout the entire car you would have to think that would happen at some point intended or not.

Last edited by RandyMettler; 02-10-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:26 PM   #47
JSeery
Member Emeritus

One quick and easy check is to watch the engine running in the dark. Wiggle the wires around a little and see if there is any arcing. Sometimes it looks like an electrical storm under the hood.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:37 PM   #48
RandyMettler

I have heard of that test before. Its dark now and I am going to my garage.

No, no storm all is black, wiggling and all.

My car looks exactly like your avatar right now, only my radiator is installed.

Last edited by RandyMettler; 02-11-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:01 PM   #49
cas3

clean a spot on the frame some place and vise grip a wire there, then attach the other end to one of the screws holding the gauge cluster to the dash board,if its metal, if not then to the body. see if the gauge readings change
Old 02-10-2019, 10:47 PM   #50
cas3

in fact, i would run several test grounds. battery to engine, battery to frame, engine to frame, etc. if this thing has been restored, you have a bunch of painted surfaces and some thing is not letting current thru. i know you would think it has to touch some where, but you have new rubber, new paint, new body mounts etc and some times it just isnt a clean path for current any where. my pickup was burning up a voltage reg every 6 months. i put a big battery cable from the front clip to the motor, right next to the factory one that showed no sign of corrosion, and it fixed it. grounds do funny things
Old 07-28-2021, 03:07 PM   #51
dmar836

This one just died off with no follow up. Hope all is well with Randy. Last active on 6-8-19
dmar836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:36 PM   #52
Bill OH

I have had oil pressure senders go bad giving law pressure readings. New sender solved the problem, What happens when you ground the connection on your sender and the ignition switch on? The gauge is only a voltmeter.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote