Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
Grumpy Rick

Default '22 T touring seat mod?

For years I have had a '22 touring that was hot rodded in the mid '50's. It has a '39 V8-60 motor, trans and rear in it. Newest parts are the '40 hydraulic brakes. I guess you could call it a survivor. It was last painted and upholstered in 1973.

I keep it in my carport and have not driven it for a couple years because I am over 6' tall and getting older. I cannot safely get my foot up on the clutch or brake because the front seating is so tight.

To the question...I would love to move the whole front seat back about 3 inches, but the top corners of the seat are attached to the bodywork. It looks like they are only attached by a short weld.

1: Is it a weld, or could it just be leaded in at that point?
2: Has anyone moved a seat like this?
3: Do you think I might be able to carefully hacksaw it apart at this point, and save the seat?
4: Any other advice appreciated.

I would love to sell the car, but the wife is attached to it. She never wants to sell it, so I would like to get it back on the road safely.
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
dumb person

Default Re: '22 T touring seat mod?

Normally the seat is nailed to the body wood but seeing yours is modified they may have welded it.

If you can see the picture i tried to add you may have to get creative and remove the seat cushioning without damaging it (too much) and extend the metal part of the seat back so it sits farther to the rear while still attaching at the original point of fastening.
Then refit seat padding (if any, i imagine it does have some.) and probably extend the wood where the tacks go.
Then again, i am describing how this is done to an original body where yours may have been welded for stiffness.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
29spcoupe

If the seat is moved back, won't it interfere with the rear doors opening and closing? If yours is modified, I might look into adding to the cowl, but then the steering column will not fit. No matter what you do the car's dimensions will be altered. A longer wheelbase car may be needed.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:59 AM   #4
Grumpy Rick

Well I guess it must be modified, since it is definitely attached to the body. It is too nice to risk damaging it, so I guess I will leave it alone. It's a survivor, and the paint is old, but it is not a rust bucket. I would not like to mess up the button tuft seats either.

As far as the rear doors, I figured I could block the front of the openings a bit and they would still be useable.

Thanks for the replies.
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote