Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2020, 02:20 PM   #21
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Changed The Weight Of My Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
The heavier oil would certainly quiet things. I used to run straight 30 in florida. So I guess my engine is ready for the strap yard. Last change was just 10w-30.

On a rebuilt motor I wouldn't think a thicker oil would be idealistic. Maybe once the bearings are worn. Just a thought. Flatheads are not a high oil pressure engine. It can be harmful but does have a gratifying gauge viewing.
Wouldn't think you'd have enough temperature change to be an issue!

Car/trucks ran straight viscosity oil for years, modern multi-viscosity oil is just a better option IMO.

A lot of people don't seem to understand the oil viscosity ratings, there are two different temperatures they are tested at high temp (212 deg) and low temp (0 deg). The low temperature rating is indicated with a W for Winter.

As far as I know 25W is about the highest Winter rating that is used. To me using the term "weight" with oil is confusing because it gets mixed up with "winter".
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:34 PM   #22
TomT/Williamsburg

I have used conventional 20w-50 oil for quite a while now in my avatar, no oil filter of any kind, and I change it often. I add STP once in awhile too and I can remove my intake and show you a super clean lifter valley. An old Flathead racer once told me flatheads need heat to run efficiently, and run best between 2000-3000 rpm. I set my car up to run 2500 rpm @ 75 mph (running a 5-speed) and with temps from 170-180 degree temps no matter how hot it gets outside. I have also been across the country 3 times with many other trips in between and so far, no problems.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:58 AM   #23
FL&WVMIKE

15w40 diesel oil is pretty good stuff. It has plenty of additives for long engine life, and should be thick enough to allow your engine to run quietly... without being too thick for warm up. I consider it perfect for old flatheads.

If it is still not thick enough to keep the engine quiet, consider a conventional 20w50. Just be careful with warm up, and allow the engine to get some heat before running it very hard at all.
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:37 AM   #24
38 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
15w40 diesel oil is pretty good stuff. It has plenty of additives for long engine life, and should be thick enough to allow your engine to run quietly... without being too thick for warm up. I consider it perfect for old flatheads.
I agree with this. My understanding from reading a lot about engine oil is that oils intended for gasoline engines no longer are made to deal with contamination. This happened since electronic fuel injection has made flooded engines and the like a thing of the past. Diesel oil still is made to deal with contamination, which our carbureted engines will do. If you are running an electronically fuel injected engine this advice is irrelevant to you.

Also, please don't think that whatever was recommended in the 1930s is still relevant. Oils and rubber are two areas that have changed to unrecognizable levels from where they were when our Fords were built. I don't see anyone recommending going out and finding natural rubber inner tubes, so why are some still looking for oils that haven't been manufactured in decades?
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:27 AM   #25
Holeshot

I run whatever is on sale at wally world. Motor oil is motor oil.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:21 PM   #26
Bill OH

Correction: Not 10W20, but use 5W20, Mobil 1. I want quick flow on startup and good flow thru the bearings for not only lubrication, but also cooling of the bearings.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:59 AM   #27
Drbrown

Its often an individual situation. My engine is stock with about 30,000m after a rebuild. There's a pressure relief ball/spring in the valve chamber which allows for some adjustment in maximum oil pressure. MY engine runs at 70 lbs cold and about 20-25 lbs hot. Pressure when hot varies slightly depending on driving in winter vs. summer. The engine has NO oil filter, change the oil every 1000m, so it stays relatively clean change-to-change. It doesn't burn oil. I use a detergent 10w-30 year round.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:24 AM   #28
miniceptor86

That’s it? Only two pages?
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:47 AM   #29
tubman

Yep. I think most people on here are smart enough to know that anything available today is light years ahead of what was around when these engines were new. It really does come down to personal choice. (My criteria is cost.)

Just don't use non-detergent.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:35 PM   #30
Ford Freak

I use 20W50 from Family Dollar.
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:12 PM   #31
Jack E/NJ

Bill OH>>>use 5W20, Mobil 1. I want quick flow on startup >>>

Absolutely. I used to use Motorcraft 5w20 synblend for this reason. But when Walmart 0w20 synthetic debuted at $15 a jug, I switched. 20psi ice cold. 20psi luke warm. 20psi scalding hot. Better than Ice cold 20w multivisc that pumps about as well as ice cold molasses.
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:18 PM   #32
tubman

WOW! I would have never thought of using 0W20 in a flathead, even a fresh one. If it worked for you, I might try it.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:58 PM   #33
woodiewagon46

As far as oil additives are concerned, don't waist your money. A test with 75 New York City taxi cabs showed that additives such as STP, etc. had no significant help with engine wear after 4.5 million miles. The test involved 20 different brand's and types of oil and all were rated about the same. Synthetic proved no difference than conventional oil against wear.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:23 PM   #34
backrodebob

same here vr1 20w50
backrodebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:28 PM   #35
Zax40

Not to open a can of worms, but does anyone have experience with the Lucas 20w50 with zinc?

https://lucasoil.com/products/hot-ro...w-50-motor-oil
Zax40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:17 PM   #36
Jack E/NJ

>>>Not to open a can of worms, but does anyone have experience with the Lucas 20w50 with zinc?>>>

With a name like Lucas, I'd be wary & worry. 8^)
Old 10-23-2021, 10:41 AM   #37
JayChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Just don't use non-detergent.
I'm using detergent oil. Last couple oil changes I slowly emptied the drain pan and examined the residue in bottom of the pan. Seeing bits of sludge and lots of tiny silver flakes. This is scaring me!

This 51,000 mile original engine runs strong and sounds fine. Only driven 400-500 miles between oil changes. Can't believe what I am seeing is normal wear in that short time. Thinking it is old sludge and bearing wear being released into the detergent oil. Previous owners probably used non-detergent oil. I'm worried releasing that old stuff could cause a blockage/damage. What do you all think?
JayChicago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:26 AM   #38
Jacques1960

Rotella 15-40 because, as someone else said, I have it (tractor, marine diesel, gen set, etc)
Old 10-23-2021, 12:30 PM   #39
Jack E/NJ

JayC>>>Seeing bits of sludge and lots of tiny silver flakes>>>Only driven 400-500 miles between oil changes>>>

How many times have you changed it and saw these tiny flakes? Are they magnetic?
Old 10-24-2021, 11:25 AM   #40
JayChicago

Jack
I saw the flakes last year but thought maybe my drain pan had been contaminated on the shelf in the garage. But then saw it again this year.

The tiny silver flakes are not magnetic, do not stick to a magnet. The flakes are all flat, like the finest, thinest silver leaf.

OK, here some weirdness: When I lift or poke at a flake with a tweezers, it will seem to disappear, seems to dissolve in the oil residue. Maybe its my old eyes. But with handling the flakes seem to disappear. What the Heck???
JayChicago is online now   Reply With Quote