Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2021, 01:18 PM   #1
39-Ford

Question Ford V8 Distributor 68A

Hello, all. I am hoping I can get some advice on how to install my inner distributor caps on my 1939 Ford Tudor. I have original 221ci 85hp V8. I am installing a rebuilt 68A distributor. When we removed the inner caps from the old unit. They were extremely tight. Had to use a heat gun on low to lightly tap them out. We went to reinstall the inner caps with no luck. One cracked. So I ordered 2 new inner, and outer from Dennis Carpenter. Any advise on the best way to get these in without the same problem happening again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
39-Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #2
Brian

Default Re: Ford V8 Distributor 68A

I always file down the outer diameter of the new caps until they are a nice fit.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:49 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I always file down the outer diameter of the new caps until they are a nice fit.
Me too. The phenolic material used to mold those inner caps will tend to swell and increase in diameter over time, and will require some sanding or filing to make them fit into their normal location in the distributor housing.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:05 AM   #4
Als48

I fully agree that the phenolic caps swell. I was helping a friend with a '54 International B tractor, who could not get it to run consistently and had been fooling with it for months. I soon discovered that the distributor cap was swollen and not seating properly into the indexing notch. This, in my opinion was preventing the cap from seating properly, causing the rotor to be improperly aligned with the cap. This allowed the engine to mis-fire due to weak or no-spark at some of the plug wire connections. I was able to file down the O.D. of the cap which needed to insert into the distributor a small amount and the engine started and ran fine.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:54 PM   #5
38 coupe

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
For future reference, to remove stuck inner caps take the coil off the top and push out on the caps.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote