Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2021, 09:16 AM   #1
Ramblin Reck

Default 1939 Ford came with no ignition key

My 1939 Ford Deluxe does not have a key to lock the wheel and starter. It is in the "On" position so I just need to throw the switch and hit the start button. I saw the post where the guy drilled out the set screw that holds the lock in place. However that was off of the car. Can this be done while steering tube is still on the car? Are there other alternatives to prevent theft other than a boot and one of those steering wheel locks which doesn't work well on a Convertible! There is a key stuck in the glove box lock which won't come out but my research tells me that it is not also an ignition key. Ideas?
Ramblin Reck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:36 AM   #2
corvette8n

Default Re: 1939 Ford came with no ignition key

Pull your door lock cylinder, there are YouTube videos on this, read or take a picture of the code numbers and send them to 32Phil on this forum. He can cut you a key for you. I did this on my ‘41.

His contact info.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/member.php?u=1800
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:44 AM   #3
Zeke3

The door lock cylinder on the right side door was the same key code as the ignition lock. You might be able to remove that lock to read the code on the side of it. There should be a small hole on the edge of the door that has a slotted set screw that holds the lock cylinder in. Soak the screw well with your favorite penetrant before trying to remove, you don't want to damage the end.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:52 AM   #4
Ramblin Reck

Thanks Zeke3 and corvett8n for this knowledge. It is invaluable.
Old 10-22-2021, 12:14 PM   #5
Charlie ny
BANNED

Don't be too shocked but if you did get the stuck key out of the glove box it may just
work on the ignition. 2/3 of the keys in my stash will operate my '32 and '41 pickup ignitions and door locks...all are original as are the tumblers. Same story for my departed '37 and '35.

Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:35 PM   #6
deuce_roadster

To answer your question, if you can get a drill and drill bit to line up with the pin holding the cylinder in the column drop casting, you can drill it (until you see brass shavings) out and then pull the cylinder out. On 32s I have had to use right angle drill motor. Once out, you can thread the hole and put an alan head set screw in there. Using the door lock code (if you can get it out) only works if neither of the cylinders has ever been replaced. If this is a concourse car where they can and do sometimes check the keying you will want to make sure you get a new cylinder that looks like the original. There are some that will work that look different where the key goes in. Good luck
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:22 PM   #7
Zax40

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
To answer your question, if you can get a drill and drill bit to line up with the pin holding the cylinder in the column drop casting, you can drill it (until you see brass shavings) out and then pull the cylinder out. On 32s I have had to use right angle drill motor. Once out, you can thread the hole and put an alan head set screw in there. Using the door lock code (if you can get it out) only works if neither of the cylinders has ever been replaced. If this is a concourse car where they can and do sometimes check the keying you will want to make sure you get a new cylinder that looks like the original. There are some that will work that look different where the key goes in. Good luck
What method are you using to pull the cylinder out? I have a spare one I drilled but the lock won't budge.
Zax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:24 PM   #8
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
The door lock cylinder on the right side door was the same key code as the ignition lock. You might be able to remove that lock to read the code on the side of it. There should be a small hole on the edge of the door that has a slotted set screw that holds the lock cylinder in. Soak the screw well with your favorite penetrant before trying to remove, you don't want to damage the end.

1939 Ford Pass Side door lock Set Screw on inner side of door.jpg

1939 Ford Pass Side Door lock entry under handle.jpg

Looks like maybe they are soaked in paint. I will use my PB Blaster. just turn Lefty Loosie with a slotted screw driver?
Old 10-22-2021, 03:31 PM   #9
Ramblin Reck

I will try and get it removed Thanks Maybe the reason it won't come out is that it is the wrong key! Definitely will try your idea.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:40 AM   #10
deuce lover

Careful unscrewing that set screw.Very often the edge of the slot breaks off .That lock was also installed upside down plus its missing the swing away cover.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote