Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Will N

Default installing hogs head- help!

Is there any trick to getting the hogs head to seat squarely on the transmission case? I have the springs compressed between the band ears, the pedal shafts are well seated in the notches in the ears, the clutch bronze throwout is seated in the notch, but I can't get the hogs head to seat. There's about a quarter inch gap all around it. I tried tapping lightly with a rubber mallet, but I don't want to force it. What am I missing?

Thanks
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: installing hogs head- help!

Theres about 3 points to consider. 1. the high speed linkage clear? 2. The 4th main/ball cap loose enough. In position, thats like a ZERO play fit, and 3. The felt seal. I trim mine flush up against the gasket, and put a squirt of sealer in the corner. Did you remove the mag plug? That goes in last.
Id bet on #3. Its fun working left handed through that one door aint it? Make up any new words yet? ws
Old 12-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Will N

I have the his speed linkage disconnected. I didn't loosen the two lower bolts on the ball cap- I was able to remove the hogshead without loosening those, I just removed the two upper bolts- should I loosen them up to install it? I did trim the felt seal flush with the edge of the hogs head. The mag pickup is removed. I'm going to try loosening the lower ball cap bolts. Thanks for your advice!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
bob p

I had this happen to a friends !913, after we repaced the bands it would not fit. We installed new kevlar on newer style bands, between the linings and newer bands being thicker we had to grind off the inside of the hogs head to make it fit, hard to find but that is what is was, we had to grind quite a bit.
bob p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Will N

Bill, You da Man! Loosening the lower ball cap bolts gave me just enough wiggle room to seat the hogshead. I love Fordbarn and the generous people with so much information they're willing to share!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
yachtsmanbill

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
COOL!!! When you get the whole thing back into position, PULL the hogshead back against the ball cap before you pull it down on the pan rails. the VERTICAL joint on the 4th main (ball cap) needs to be flush at the hogshead and the pan face. If not itll put a lot of strain on that 4th main and cause you grief! Good grief... no, BAD grief! ws
Where ya from?
Howz about some pics??