Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
DeBordEngineMan

Default Sorry for repeated question but what to use when flushing cooling system out?

Hello guys I was getting ready to go ahead and flush out my cooling system tomorrow have read previous posts just wanted to know what is the best product out there in your opinion? I have read about CLR, Drano, Evoporust, vinegar, muridic acid, simple green, mean green the list goes on and on or just use plain water, if you used a acid based product would you not have to use a neutralizer afterward and what would that be? I have also read to let it set for a few minutes to over the weekend looks like you would have to be careful with it eating away gaskets? Well just wanted to hear from some of you that have done this before I don't want to harm my engine or radiator so if I could get some advice it would be most helpful. Also I thought that I might use pressure washer to help blow anything out if this would not hurt anything? Thanks Robert DeBord
DeBordEngineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
marc hildebrant

Default Re: Sorry for repeated question but what to use when flushing cooling system out?

I used two cups of simple green.

First, drain out any antifreeze and relace with water.

1. Added cleaner
2. Ran it up to temp for 30 minutes.
3. Let it sit for couple of hours.
4. Drained it out.
5. Flushed couple of times.

Worked good.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
skip
Banned

Default Re: Sorry for repeated question but what to use when flushing cooling system out?

Take out about a quart+ of water/coolant/water pump lube/or wetter water...what ever is in there.

As per Hot Rod Magazine;

Pour in a quart of regular White Vinegar from the grocery store. Top up the rad to your regular liquid level [You do have a sounding stick to check the cold and hot water level, right?]

Go for a drive, ohhh about a month of 'in the rad' will do nicely.

Flush her out and mix up your favorite brew and reload the rad.
I always pour the mix through a fine mesh paper paint filter from my local Ace hardware in the bottom of my funnel. [38 cents each].

skip.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Bassman/NZ

A pressure washer will got most of want you want to remove, so long as you can get into the places you need to.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Kahuna

Flathead V8: Drained cooling system, filled with 2 gallons of white vinegar. Ran the car for almost 2 weeks. Drained cooling system, refilled with 2 cups of baking soda (added to water), then refilled system with water. Ran for an hour driving around. Drained system again, refilled with water. Worked great.
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
700rpm

I just used some Prestone radiator flush and it worked great.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
Chris in WNC

I've used Dawn detergent, Simple Green, vinegar, TSP, back-flushing and every other thing suggested.

they all seem to help purge the rust a little.

but NOTHING has ever cleaned a clogged radiator for me except taking it to a shop for a professional cleaning.

"your results may vary"
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
FL&WVMIKE

The EPA has mandated that the commercial radiator flushes, be so weak, that they are almost useless anymore.
I have had great results, on two Flathead V8s, of running straight white vinegar for a couple weeks. On one, I had the radiator off and worked the openings with a power washer. I was amazed at what all that I flushed out. That is the way to go. This was on an engine that sat for twenty years. I, then, had the radiator worked on.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
billwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc hildebrant View Post
I used two cups of simple green.

First, drain out any antifreeze and relace with water.

1. Added cleaner
2. Ran it up to temp for 30 minutes.
3. Let it sit for couple of hours.
4. Drained it out.
5. Flushed couple of times.

Worked good.

Marc
Now you are offical flasher'
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote