Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
-Big Al-

Default early? deuce frame

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1932-...item27be153217

just spotted this, looks like an early build frame to me. perhaps i am wrong.
Al.
-Big Al- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: early? deuce frame

I agree. No K member. Very interesting. Now you just need the rest of the car.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
-Big Al-

charlie,
i await davids comments also. i am not buying it, might be good for someones early restoration though.
Al.
-Big Al- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
DavidG

That's the second one to show up for sale in recent months; the other was offered here on the barn (it was in Oregon). The k-member-less frames were all supposed to be recalled, but obviously some were missed (four that I know of).

Either it was changed or this one already came with the first revision of the brake pedal (without the tip at the elbow unlike the clutch pedal which has the tip). The pedal bracket is unique to this configuration of K-member-less frames.

The center cross member appears to be the second version, with only one pair of holes for the engine steady rods for fours and flange-block V-8s with the widely-spaced bolt-on brackets. The first version was for the type of steady rod that bolted to the front face of the crossmember; they did not pass through the cross member like the ones used on this eBay chassis.

Ford's records indicate that only about 500 to 600 chassis frames were built without the K-members and all were supposed to be recalled for their installation, but obviously there were some escapees.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
waldo

It was a 4 cyl. model B. I have the engine/trans. and my friend has the bed. The cab I got with it is a '34. Just FYI.
waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
DavidG

Waldo,

Out of curiousity, what's the engine number on the top of the flywheel housing?

Thanks.

David
Old 09-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
waldo

The # is * AB 5046521 * I also got the steady rods and running board brackets. The cab is not a '32. The cab and engine/trans were removed after I got there so it was a complete vehicle at one time. I can't raise any numbers on the side of the engine. No trace at all.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
DavidG

Waldo,

Ford ended it practice of numbering the engine blocks with the Model A. The flywheel housing is the only place it was stamped on '32 fours.

Does that engine number also appear on the top of the frame (on the left side near the front mounting hole for the firewall)?

Thanks.

David
Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #9
waldo

Don't have the frame. It's for sale in the U.P. of MI. per the original post above. Does the vin # show it's a '32 engine?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:24 AM   #10
DavidG

Yes, that's a '32 engine number, but given how early the frame it came out of is, the number seems a bit on the high side hence my curiousity about it being the same as that originally stamped on the frame.

Ford produced over 35,000 four-cylinder engines before any were installed in chassis because of its decision to wait for the availability of its new V-8 engine and there's no solid evidence that when the fours were eventually used that they came out of inventory on a first-in, first-out basis. This particular engine number, however, is well above those of that first group of engines.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:49 AM   #11
jimTN

So, being a truck, that may explain the strange "overload" springs.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #12
DavidG

No. Such springs were added as aftermarket parts; Ford did not offer them. The original rear spring on a '32 commercial vehicle such as the station wagon and pickup had 12 leaves and were pretty strong.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
true blue 32 man

Hi Daves comments on the early frame and associated parts brings up an interesting question. I went and checked my pedals. I have 3 sets, all purchased on ebay in recent years. Set #1 both pedals have points on them , and no grease zerks. hollow shaft with zerk on end & has formed passenger bracket. Set #2 brake pedal has point, clutch pedal no point, both pedals have grease zerks hollow shaft with grease zerk on end.and has BB big truck cast bracket . Also the brake pedal is aprox 1 inch taller from bend where point is to top where pedal pad attaches Why is this different than my other 2 brake pedals Set #3 both clutch and brake have no points at bend and both pedals have grease zerks solid shaft with no zerk on end Bracket is formed steel passenger bracket I assume this late revision 3 setup?Dave can you shed some light on this?
true blue 32 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #14
DavidG

true blue 32 man,

Your #2 set's brake pedal is likely BB-2455-B, given that the pedal bracket is that for the big trucks. Your #3 set may or may not be the late passenger car/commercial vehicle pedal version. That would depend on the length of the brake pedal from the elbow to the shaft axis. If that is the same length as that of the clutch pedal, then it is still a somewhat early version. If that length is 3/8" shorter than that of the clutch pedal, it is the late version (the change took place in late May, 1932).
Old 01-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
earlyv8

Interesting thread.

I have been trying to identify my brake and clutch pedals. The clutch pedal has B 7520 number (32) but I have been unable to find B number on the brake pedal. Length of brake pedal is 13 3/4" from center of shaft to front edge of verticle pedal upright at 90 degree bend.

These pedals look to be matched sets with the X cutout on the pedal pad mount and length seem to be correct. They have grease zerks.

Pedals were not paired when I bought them.

Jack
earlyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #16
DavidG

I'm away from my car stuff so I cannot check pedal dimensions, but perhaps the photo below will be of some assistance. Early '33 pedals are similarly made with the "X" for the pedal pad, but differ in their shape and have either a welded-on or formed tab to activate the stop lamp switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg misc. 051.jpg (29.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #17
John R

David,
I'm guessing the brake pedal in the photo is the late version since it appears to be somewhat shorter than the clutch pedal. Right?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #18
DavidG

Yes, although the difference in height, late versus early, is only 3/8".

I should have mentioned earlier that the absence of a part number is not unusual. In fact, surviving brake and clutch pedals without part numbers are seemingly more common than those with part numbers.