Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2020, 03:27 PM   #1
stude333

Default 1934 pickup frame questions

I havent found any serial numbers on the frame yet. I did notice that the passenger side frame rail has the steering box holes. none on the drivers (left) side;does that mean anything? I looked along the drivers side rail very closely at the spots where it should be, even sanded it down lightly. the numbers on the paperwork start with 189##### which looks right for a 1934 pickup. could the numbers be by the steering box holes on right side? since the frame has been boxed in the front with a lot of grinding maybe the old numbers were ground off. I read somewhere a lot of commercial frames only had the numbers in one spot anyway. also any thoughts on how to check the numbers I have on the paperwork to make sure the numbers are clear(not used on another 32 somewhere here in Calif. . the verifiers i talked to need to see the vin(serial numbers on the frame) any thoughts ideas greatly appreciated FRankie
stude333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: 1934 pickup frame questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by stude333 View Post
I havent found any serial numbers on the frame yet. I did notice that the passenger side frame rail has the steering box holes. none on the drivers (left) side;does that mean anything? I looked along the drivers side rail very closely at the spots where it should be, even sanded it down lightly. the numbers on the paperwork start with 189##### which looks right for a 1934 pickup. could the numbers be by the steering box holes on right side? since the frame has been boxed in the front with a lot of grinding maybe the old numbers were ground off. I read somewhere a lot of commercial frames only had the numbers in one spot anyway. also any thoughts on how to check the numbers I have on the paperwork to make sure the numbers are clear(not used on another 32 somewhere here in Calif. . the verifiers i talked to need to see the vin(serial numbers on the frame) any thoughts ideas greatly appreciated FRankie
The numbers on the paperwork look right (see http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ialnumbers.htm). I would check the entire length of the top of the passenger side frame rail, maybe you will get lucky. If the passenger side has steering box holes and there are none on the drivers side where do you attach the steering box? Maybe it is a foreign frame? How about a picture of where you are looking and the grinding/welding that was done to the frame? Have you asked the person you bought it from where the numbers are on the frame?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Frankie , your frame maybe a Canadian right hand drive some were numbid on the right hand side ,Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 06-12-2020 at 08:15 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:49 PM   #4
DavidG

With respect, starting with the '33 models, the outer frame rails on both sides originally had all of the holes for the steering gear. Unlike with the '32, there was no unique RHD right side frame rail. Hence your frame was modified in the process of it being boxed.

It is correct that commercial vehicle frames were only stamped with the engine number in one location up near the steering gear on the left side, at least that was the edict from Dearborn. And it makes imminent good sense otherwise with some commercial bodies the rearward passenger car number locations would be visible to passersby. And least we forget, Ford sold a fair number of driveaway chassis where the rear two thirds of the frame was exposed when they left the assembly plants.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:29 PM   #5
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Canadian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 box 023.jpg (50.4 KB, 69 views)

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:06 PM   #6
stude333

the steering box holes are in the right rail just like in Ted's photo of the Canadian frame ( but no numbers there). My frame and cab has been floating around Calif for years apparently without becoming an actual truck. there are many names on the paper trail. the front of the frame had been boxed and SBC mounts installed. a pad for a mustang of vega cross steer had been added.. I removed all the chevy mounts. so there is no steering box in it currently. I have a nice F1 box and a stock drop i want to use. i have installed a 4" drop in the front using a unsplit wishbone. I used modified 35/36 motor mounts and complete rear axle. drive shaft shortened 8.44 inches. I found a decent stock 34 bed. so it is coming together this spring and fall. the numbering is the next headache to solve. most everything else is in the works. I appreciate all you guys input so much as you have helped on quite a few hurdles so far. Maybe the serial numbers would look good just ahead of the steering box. I will add a picture real soon
stude333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:09 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Is the frame painted or have some type of coating on it? If so removing it and sanding the side of the frame rail should show any modifications that covered or replaced the original steering box mount.

Frame number can be very difficult to see sometimes, but there are methods to bring them out (even if they have been ground smooth).
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:45 PM   #8
winkster

Hi .. look for the star...Wink
winkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:42 AM   #9
Scott/Mn

My 1934 pickup truck has a notch in the left front fender to expose the serial number. If you have a good fender which looks similar, set it in place and focus on this area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sn 1.jpg (55.4 KB, 52 views)
Scott/Mn is offline   Reply With Quote