Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
jkelsh

Default getting a title

Does anyone know what the process is to obtain a title for a model in illinois is?
jkelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
billwill

Default Re: getting a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelsh View Post
Does anyone know what the process is to obtain a title for a model in illinois is?
Hold on someone here will help you.First get the engine nunber than the chassic number,
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

contact your local DMV office
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelsh View Post
I would think someone would need a little more information.

Do you have an old title for the car?
Do you have a bill of sale?
Did you build it from parts?
Is it stock or modified (non Model A engine)?

This information wouls lead to different routes to take.

Check here as well;

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1670
Old 09-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
MikeK

In Illinois you will need to apply for a bonded title. That will require a certified appraisal and a deposit of 150% of that value. If your appraisal is unrealistic they may wait up to three years and decide your appraisal is invalid. Upon doing so, your title will be revoked. Their average reappraisal of a Model A is $38,000. You will then need $57,000 plus fees, plus sales tax due on the new value, plus late fines to create a new bonded title, unless they decide to seize the vehicle. Then it gets more expensive. So make sure your appraisal is accurate and documented, and capable of standing scrutiny at a hearing. You will pay sales tax on that amount.

If you have an out of state title that is more than 10 years old, or has been generated new within the last 2 years, (one of those 'title' services) you will initially walk away from the DMV with a title and plates, but later you will be notified of reappraisal and/ or revocation of title.

This will get you started, (two pages of reading) then you need the bonded title app.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/sos_dop173.pdf
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
Doug Cox

I'm sure glad that I live in Alabama, where folks employ a little more common sense to the process. We are even allowed to register (one time fee for the life of ownership) an original vintage plate (if it is in good shape). They like old cars down here and promote ownership..
Doug Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post

If you have an out of state title that is more than 10 years old, or has been generated new within the last 2 years, (one of those 'title' services) you will initially walk away from the DMV with a title and plates, but later you will be notified of reappraisal and/ or revocation of title.

Actually a bit different as i am going through it right now. IF you an out of state title, sign and apply for your registration to get you plates and apply for a title transfer, about 3 months later you will get a letter from the Illinois State Title POLICE DEPARTMENT!!!! dont be alarmed.
What you are going to do when you call her is LIFT THE CAR and call them. In other words they ONLY and ONLY ONLY will allow the Frame number to register the car, they do NOT anymore care about the engine number and what it is. In Illinois NOW the car MUST be registered to the FRAME NUMBER...You have NO choice you must lift the car, call them to see it. Now you will NOT have a rush to do this, i have some friends that have waited 2 years to do it. BUT that is it, in the mean time you are going to get a letter from the IRS telling you, that you figured you sales tax WRONG.. and you owe them $$$$.$$ all you need to do is supply a bill of sale, send it in and your done. But that is what you need to do.
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
Actually a bit different as i am going through it right now. IF you an out of state title, sign and apply for your registration to get you plates and apply for a title transfer, about 3 months later you will get a letter from the Illinois State Title POLICE DEPARTMENT!!!! dont be alarmed.
What you are going to do when you call her is LIFT THE CAR and call them. In other words they ONLY and ONLY ONLY will allow the Frame number to register the car, they do NOT anymore care about the engine number and what it is. In Illinois NOW the car MUST be registered to the FRAME NUMBER...You have NO choice you must lift the car, call them to see it. Now you will NOT have a rush to do this, i have some friends that have waited 2 years to do it. BUT that is it, in the mean time you are going to get a letter from the IRS telling you, that you figured you sales tax WRONG.. and you owe them $$$$.$$ all you need to do is supply a bill of sale, send it in and your done. But that is what you need to do.
Please don't tell me that the IRS is collecting sales tax now. I think you meant the state tax board. The IRS doesn't get into your pocket until you sell the car and make a profit (keep your receipts as you work on the car). I got the sales tax letter from the State of California a couple of years back. I sent them a copy of the bill of sale, several photos and a copy of the Old Cars Price Guide with the appropriate number highlighted. I never heard anything more from them.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote