Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
LarryinWA

Default Can spray paint

Have a little surface rust on my trunk interior and after wire brushing it what is the best can paint to protect from further rusting if I can't get all of the rust off? Body has never been off of my 29 coupe and it is basically rust free. CA car. Thanks for any help.
LarryinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Can spray paint

If its black, I would think that rustoleum would be best for rust. After removing the rust as best as possible it would be good to first apply Rustoleum rusty metal primer . This should work OK on mostly hidden interior panels.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinWA View Post
Have a little surface rust on my trunk interior and after wire brushing it what is the best can paint to protect from further rusting if I can't get all of the rust off? Body has never been off of my 29 coupe and it is basically rust free. CA car. Thanks for any help.
"...if I can't get all the rust off?"

That's a bit tougher. Most paints will not stop it if you paint over rust.

I have had good luck with the POR-15 paint in areas where I knew I was not getting all the rust off. In fact, they want you to leave some rust on for the paint to grip on better.

The POR-15 I used is not durable out in the sunlight without a top coat, but you are talking about in the trunk, out of the sun. That's what I would do.

I don't spray it. I brush it. I use disposable foam brushes from Home Depot and small aluminum pans that are all thrown away after painting. The paint is runny like water. A little bit covers a lot of metal.

HTH.

Remember, rust never sleeps.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
5window

Eastwood, and Napa, both sell a spray "rust converter" which basically changes the rusted area into a stable surface. Then you could spray the color of your choice-I prefer Krylon over Rustoleum every day. If you're wanting a semiflat black-go to your John Deere dealer and buy a can of Blitz Black. But, also, lots of auto paint suppliers can provide you with a custom color in a rattle can.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Logan

Any auto paint store will sell a product that will convert rust to a primer. You just knock off the loose flackes, and spray the converter on it. It neutralizes the rust, and then you could paint on top of it. I would get all the rust off that you can, and only use the converter where you have to. I've had good success with products like this. I used it on some of my chassis peices for my speedster. Like the leaf springs and I think I used it on the wish bone too. Afterwards though, I went back and scuffed it and shot my primer on it, then top coated it with urethane enamel. I wouldn't trust letting my top coat sit directly on top of the converter, unless you just plan on using a rattle can for painting the inside of your car.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Terry, NJ

I would block sand it lightly after wire brushing. Google Magnet paint for their "Chassis saver" Just spray/ brush it on it handles the rust. Or get a bottle of Phosphoric acid metal cleaner and use that. Phosphoric acid cleaners are available in any body shop supply. Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
V4F

after you remove the rust , rustoleum paint is good . I use it alot
Old 08-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
Aok

I have used krud kutter must for rust which seems to clean up rust I cannot get with a brush. I think it is basically phosphoric acid. Link to the stuff on amazon I am sure you can get it other places just a easy way to show the item
http://www.amazon.com/KUTTER-MR32-32...ref=pd_cp_hi_2
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i would use rustoleum also with a brush..
watchout for rattle can overspray
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Has the outside of the car been repainted? If you do the trunk, then where next? Pretty soon the whole car will get a repaint. At least that's what I usually see happen.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Any auto paint store will sell a product that will convert rust to a primer. You just knock off the loose flackes, and spray the converter on it. It neutralizes the rust, and then you could paint on top of it. I would get all the rust off that you can, and only use the converter where you have to. I've had good success with products like this. I used it on some of my chassis peices for my speedster. Like the leaf springs and I think I used it on the wish bone too. Afterwards though, I went back and scuffed it and shot my primer on it, then top coated it with urethane enamel. I wouldn't trust letting my top coat sit directly on top of the converter, unless you just plan on using a rattle can for painting the inside of your car.
Good point. I skipped the primer step-too much of a hurry to post. Make sure you stay with the brand-Rustoleum and Krylon don't mix very well. I have found Rustoleum brush on to be very good, the spray, not so much.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
tdlmomowers

Get a bottle of Extend, it's made by Loctite. Brush it on with a disposable brush. Allow it to dry and apply some Rustoleum black. Worked great on my trunk on my 69 Torino. Extend is a rust reformulator.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #13
SeaSlugs

ive tried just about everything on modern vehicles sheetmetal to stop rusting and heres what ive found:

spraypaint anything sucks for rust stopping, i dont care of its rustoleum or krylon or whoever.

spray can rust converters rarely seem to work well, theres always rust that seems to come back and i have NEVER had one turn rust to black primer like they all state.

POR15 i absolutely love and will attest it does permanently stop rust IF done in 2 coats. It is very runny and covers alot but since it is so runny it likes to flow into pits leaving the peaks sometimes thin or barren so it rusts again - 2 coats as they recommend fixes this (follow can carefully, picky stuff)

i have not tried brush on rust converters but i would say thier worth a shot, need to get to the otherside of the pannel and check for rust too.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:52 AM   #14
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
ive tried just about everything on modern vehicles sheetmetal to stop rusting and heres what ive found:

spraypaint anything sucks for rust stopping, i dont care of its rustoleum or krylon or whoever.

spray can rust converters rarely seem to work well, theres always rust that seems to come back and i have NEVER had one turn rust to black primer like they all state.

POR15 i absolutely love and will attest it does permanently stop rust IF done in 2 coats. It is very runny and covers alot but since it is so runny it likes to flow into pits leaving the peaks sometimes thin or barren so it rusts again - 2 coats as they recommend fixes this (follow can carefully, picky stuff)

i have not tried brush on rust converters but i would say thier worth a shot, need to get to the otherside of the pannel and check for rust too.
I think it's more "covers rust permanently" than "stops rust.." There's nothing in it to convert or stop the underlying rust, but it does make an impervious surface that the rust can't penetrate through. Does this stop the problem? Maybe.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #15
PetesPonies

why believe me huh?? But what you should be using is Master Series Silver. It is a moisture cured urethane primer. I have been using it for almost 20 years now. I'm not going to give all the specifics now, but it is what you should be using. Google it and my ID and you will find a lot of info.