Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #21
PetesPonies

Default Re: Why don't we get a decent mileage from our tires?

I think the most contributing factor is the "rubber" compound used on these old tire designs. I bet they are really soft in comparison to what we are used to in todays tires.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #22
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHD View Post
Compared to a modern tire, the mileage we get from a 21" or 19" is pathetic, considering the high price we pay for them.
What mileage have you experienced?
Your thoughts folks.
Have ran GoodYear tires since 2000, 1st set blackwall 35,000 miles, 2003 GoodYear ww tires ran them until 2006 got 39,000 good mile but ran them till 40,000 miles and they were done not good enough for good spare. may 2008 3rd set GoodYear WW again,ran them until may 2011 mileage around 35,000. HAVEN'T CHECKED MY MILES ON THIS SET. HAVE FUN MODELaTONY LAFAYETTE,LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #23
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
I think the most contributing factor is the "rubber" compound used on these old tire designs. I bet they are really soft in comparison to what we are used to in todays tires.
Do they have to be?
Old 09-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
I started with new tires and since then I've put 68,000 miles on my car over the last 12 years. About 18,000 miles ago, I replaced two of the four. 9,000 miles ago I replaced two again and they still had good useable tread (30-40%) I am also factoring I have two spares that I have cycled in during those miles and they remain on the car as 1/2 worn. Unless my logic or math is in error, it appears I have gotten on average better than 40,000 miles on a set. I do have my toe-in set at a slim 1/16".

Is this making sense? It appears to be on the high side of what most are reporting.

The tires are Firestone...purchased at Snyder's.

They are whitewalls...so they are probably better tires...right? Excuse me...I couldn't help but stir the pot a little!
White reflects heat so your tires run cooler and last longer. LOL

BTW, when I was driving my 65 Corvair I had a pair of snow tires on it that were 50% tread, so I figured I'd just run them through the summer. The soft rubber didn't last a month in the summer heat.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #25
Brother Hesekiel

Just yesterday I searched for the manufacturing code on my Firestones. It's 191, so they were made in the 19th week of 1991, a mere 22 years old, and are still like new with not as much as a hairline crack anywhere.

I'd say if I can get another 25 years out of them, which is when I'll be 81 and probably too old to enjoy any of my old cars, I'll be a happy camper.
Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #26
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
I have put 44,000 miles on my Victoria in the past 20 years. I am on the third set of tires and they have about 50% of the tread left. They have all been Firestone. The first set was made in Australia before the molds were shipped back to the USA.

Front end alignment out of whack will wear out tires in a hurry. I try to rotate mine every 5 or 6 thousand miles.

I drive the car everyday and often put interstate miles on them at 55-60 (in overdrive).

Tom Endy
What Tom said.

33,000 miles before I replaced my Goodyears and they still had an estimated 7 - 8000 left. You should not have to put up with less mileage with quality tires, if you're maintaining properly.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #27
MikeK

Aside from the aforementioned bias construction and increased contact loading due to the relatively narrow profile, there is another factor: Road aggregate abrasiveness. This varies considerably by location. In the USA it is well known that Hawaiian roadways made from blacktop mixtures containing lava and igneous rock grind up tires very fast. Continental US midwest locations that primarily use softer limestone aggregates are much less abrasive.

In all cases cost, materials availability and carefully studied roadway wear (not tire wear) and decomposition analysis determines the road material selected in an area or country. Since you are in New Zealand, you might like to look at this NZ government engineering study: LINK It is obvious durability of the roadway is important, and abrasiveness of the road to tires is not a considered factor.

If your roads contain a lot of sharp igneous rock aggregate your tires will grind up faster than mine do in Chicago, a limestone area.

And then one last factor- do you drive mostly straight flat terrain, or are your tires subjected to curving, hilly paths that surely grind up tires at a faster rate?

Last edited by MikeK; 05-13-2014 at 02:11 PM.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:27 PM   #28
RobertB

If my memory is correct, I was lucky to get 20K on a set of tires back in the bias ply days, and that depended on how you drove the car.

In my teens, I'd be luck to get 10K!

I remember the first set of radials I saw on a car, and he got over 50K and we were all soooooooooo impressed.

Of course, back in the day, I bought used tires and recaps.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #29
Patrick L.

Try and find a set of old Sears/Allstate's. I have no idea of the mileage [ no working speedo], but, they have been on for 30 years and don't show much sign of wear.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #30
quickchange

Les im not sure why you say the vintage tires are expensive here in NZ as compared to modern ones ?? recent purchase on modern tires cost me nearly double what we sell Model A tires for , but they are wider & lower in height , Sure NZ made firestones of years ago did wear out quickly but the new universal ones wera great unless there is a problem with your vehicle. Given the cost to ship from USA the Model A ones in this island are very reasonable in price , Try buying from the other island > Derek.
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #31
barnstuf

In 1954 I acquired a 1929 Model A from the original owner who drove it a bit over 1,000 miles per year. It had a set of 21" Good year tires that he purchased during tire rationing in WWii as he was a farmer and qualified for tires. So I estimate that in 1954 he had probably put about 10,000 miles on the tires. I have added over 50,000 miles to this car and these same tires. In the past couple of years I have begun replacing them one at a time as state safety inspection in my states requires a certain tread depth. Why have these tires gone so many miles? In my opinion it is because they are synthetic rubber as was offered during the war. These tires are very stiff, hard to change, but if you stay away from rubbing curbs or hitting pot holes the tread wears like iron. No sidewall cracks either.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #32
Terry,NJ

Lets not forget that back in the day, tire were good for 20,000 miles or so. We're comparing the A tires with modern radials which have been known to last over a 100,000 miles. Try a set of radial A tires .
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #33
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,NJ View Post
Lets not forget that back in the day, tire were good for 20,000 miles or so. We're comparing the A tires with modern radials which have been known to last over a 100,000 miles. Try a set of radial A tires .
Terry

Totally Correct! Apples to Oranges...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #34
stouchton

X2 on what Terry said.

You guys have jarred my memory!

I used to put bias ply tires on my 67 camaro, and could rarely get 30K on a set.

I put Stratton radials on the car in the early 80's and put about 50K on them. Still easlily passed inspection when I took them off during restoration.
stouchton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #35
FL&WVMIKE

When a tire shop installed a new set of 16" "Firestone" tires, from Coker, on my '35, he was amazed at the poor quality of the tires. The tubes, from China, also leaked.
They just don't sell the quanity, to make a quality tire. With the low production, it would just cost too much to make. We wouldn't want to pay the price.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #36
BlueSunoco

I think you're onto it there. We would gripe about the price of good quality tires and shop for the cheapest. Hard to have quality and cheap price both at the same time................
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #37
Dodge

I have a set of Denmans that have been lasting for ever, but a new set of Firestone
that are cracking and wearing quickly. I have a new set I am leaving up in my loft
getting hot and harder. Hope they last longer.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #38
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,NJ View Post
We're comparing the A tires with modern radials which have been known to last over a 100,000 miles. Try a set of radial A tires .
Terry
Whoa... not in New Zealand you don't!!!!

My Father can get 50K miles out of a set of really good quality tyres on his BMW, no idea how long the A ones will last. He's a bit more conservative than I am (35 vs 65 years of age, I guess!)

I used to get about 13K miles out of a set on my lease/ sales rep cars (Corolla, Pulsar, Civic etc) - lots of open road driving on our winding "country" roads (Which is the best we have where I live).

On my/wifes personal cars (Legacy, Impreza, Accord, Vigor, BMW 5 etc), about 20K miles.

I live in a town of about 60,000 and I have to drive for 2 hours on open state "highway", before I get to a Motorway!
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote