Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2018, 03:27 AM   #241
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

whilst I edit todays story here is some trivia to go on with.

Some people should avoid retail.

Patsy and I were motoring in outback NSW some years ago and arrived in the outback mining town of Cobar. It was breakfast time and we sort out a cafe to have breakfast.Old folks ran one and the service, meals and cleanliness was perfect. Some years later we looked for the same cafe and it had closed. We found a newly built one. Beautiful craftsmanship, local rounded and sawn timber tables and lining. Proper earthen tiles and tasteful decor. Well I asked for coffee and a bacon and egg roll. The bloke serving looked at me like I two heads so I asked if there was something wrong. Yes, we don’t have that.

Okay, do you have bacon and eggs? Yes. Do you have bread rolls? Yes. Well then you have a bacon and egg roll.
No, the bread rolls are for lunch.!

Sometime later I did flood relief flying out of Cobar and asked where that cafe/restaurant had gone.“Well the owner couldn’t make it pay and closed it.

Does that' surprise you?

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-02-2018 at 05:01 AM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:39 AM   #242
woofa.express

Changes to Today’s Working Environment.
Some good and some not so good.
Part 1

In the good old days when paddocks were to be sprayed one used farmers to mark. These people would walk the operational swath width and pilot would fly a straight line between them. Ideally they stood outside the paddock so as both the pilot and they, the markers, did not feel uncomfortable or threatened. One would ask them to walk to the next position before the aeroplane passed overhead. This avoids contact between cranium and wheels plus the marker is not sprayed. We would work into wind that is fresh air and avoid spray drift.
The pilot had a spray pressure gauge and coupled with the experience of spray nozzle selection would know the application rate in gallons per acre. About the late ‘80’s an electronic spray application rate devise became available. Great. Just enter ones speed and swath width and it read rate per acre. What a great advance. Then of course came GPS and farmers marking with flags became redundant. With GPS the electronics knew the ground speed and would vary the flow to maintain the desired application rate. The ground speed does vary according to the head/ tail wind component. Great advance again.
Then came Google maps. Now what happens is the paddock location comes on Google maps and with a computer generated order as well. One no longer chats to the farmer and it has become a lonely and isolated job. These days one can work for a farmer for a long period and never get to meet him. These are just some of the changes and I do miss the old days.
The UHF radio which had become a great aid for communications in the mid '80's became semi redundant with the event of mobile phones. I don’t have a mobile intergraded into my radio system and whilst spraying I turn my radios off. I don’t like distractions. The young ones don’t seem to mind but they are much better pilots than me. They think so anyway.
part 2 tomorrow

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-02-2018 at 03:48 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #243
katy

Quote:
Well I asked for coffee and a bacon and egg roll. The bloke serving looked at me like I two heads so I asked if there was something wrong. Yes, we don’t have that.
Okay, do you have bacon and eggs? Yes. Do you have bread rolls? Yes. Well then you have a bacon and egg roll.
No, the bread rolls are for lunch.!
I had a similar experience one time.
We sat down and the waiter asked if we would like something to drink, I asked for a glass of water, luke warm. He served ice water to my friends and went to the kitchen and came back w/the cook (chef?).
The cook said "We don't have warm water."
I asked: "Do you have hot water?", answer: "yes",
"Do you have cold water?" "Yes",
"What happens when you mix them?". They both suddenly had stunned looks on their faces.

FWIW, I don't normally like to drink cold water. Cold beer or pop is OK, but not water.

Last edited by katy; 09-02-2018 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Addition
katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #244
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
I had a similar experience one time.
We sat down and the waiter asked if we would like something to drink, I asked for a glass of water, luke warm. He served ice water to my friends and went to the kitchen and came back w/the cook (chef?).
The cook said "We don't have warm water."
I asked: "Do you have hot water?", answer: "yes",
"Do you have cold water?" "Yes",
"What happens when you mix them?". They both suddenly had stunned looks on their faces.

FWIW, I don't normally like to drink cold water. Cold beer or pop is OK, but not water.

Yeh Katy, I had a similar experience at a convention in mid winter. Morning tea was tea, coffee and ice water (literally with ice). I asked for water without ice and the bloke looked at me as if I had two heads. He will always be a waiter and not a good one either.
In Wee Waa I went to the bowling club for supper. I was the only patron and there must have been seating for 100. The waitress insisted I tell her where I would be seated. Bet she is now working for the government.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:17 AM   #245
woofa.express

here's todays trivia.

Stupid fashion crazes.

When I was young I had holes and worn thin material in my jeans. This was from picking up bales of hay. Today it is a fashion craze for the trendy kids including the not so young kids. At the appropriate time I enjoy having a shot at these people.
An attractive young girl waiting at a checkout with her dad. Badly cut short jeans otherwise dressed well. When in earshot of her dad I said, so her dad couldn’t miss it,
“you’ve had good wear out of those trousers dear”.
The grin on dad’s face clearly meant my comment met with his approval.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:41 AM   #246
woofa.express

Changes in the Ag industry in the last 25 years, Part 2

A new addition to agplanes is the turbine engine. I say new but I guess it happened25 years ago. Turbine engines. Reliability nearly 100%. One can relax without the continual thought of engine failure. There have been other big changes too. Many farmers talk of the good old days. I do too. Whilst at times farmers marking with flags would drive one crazy but it was nice to work with someone and not in isolation as we do today with all that electronic and computer stuff that us oldies have difficulty in understanding.
Now audits seem to be common and one needs I.D. just to step onto a local shire or government aerodrome. Oldies find it irritating and unnecessary. To get a pilot medical now requires substantial information from the applicant to CASA via internet. Miss a dot and it’s not accepted. The authorised doctors who do medicals have become irritated with it and cancelled their approvals.
If I was to apply for an aerial work licence, like I used to hold, I doubt if I would be qualified because I do not tick all the boxes they now require. Not enough courses. These are worthless courses and ratings. Passed tests on the computer that relate to irrelevant things. It helps to have these approvals and commendations plus courses on macramé framed and hung on the wall of your office. An exampleof stupidity is the fire department. They require pilots to complete a “cockpit resource management course” which is how to communicate well with your cockpit crew. Fire bombers have a small cockpit with only one seat. I can no longer be bothered with such nonsense. Old timer Pat Warburton tells me he too has had enough of this stupidity and retired.

Is this world becoming more stupid and unnecessarily so. I think it is.
What do you think?

Old 09-04-2018, 05:24 AM   #247
woofa.express

Lahad Datu Pirate Attack. Part 1 of 2 parts.

Preamble to story.
I was spreading fertilizer on oil palms in the Malaysian state of Sabah in the North East of Borneo. The Philippines islands were only about 30 miles off the coastand those islands were the home of pirates. They had fast long boats powered by three 150 hp outboards. No other boat could catch them. A machine gun was mounted on the bow. They were renowned as merciless. One of our Pilipino crew had some strange tattoo marks on his cheeks which was apparently a form of brand from his former pirate days.
There were three pilots and an engineer based at alocation known as Sahabat one and our nearest town was Lahad Datu, about 20 min flight or an hour and half in motor car. Our accommodation at Sahabat was a well set up motel style accommodation with a large dining room and lounge. It was purpose built for business meetings and social events for the management of the palm plantations. By Malaysian standards it was pretty comfortable and even elaborate. The complex was fenced in by a man proof fence and at night guards were posted, each equipt with sawn off 12G shot gun. I asked one what they would do if pirates appeared and he said “run”. That would make their purpose solely for the false comfort of us guests. They never did appear during the period that I worked there, ’96 to 2000. Although some motor bikes were stolen and some found abandoned on the beach. Said to be pirates. If they were they were pretty amateurish.
They did serve a useful purpose to our group because they were our source of liquor supply through an intermediary, Razzol,the bloke with the facial markings I mentioned earlier. San Magill beer, good quality lager for an affordable price and Tanduay rum, very affordable and very poor quality. Burnie on the throat. But we still drank it.

part 2, tomorrow night. cheers, gary

Old 09-05-2018, 02:31 AM   #248
woofa.express

Tonights Trivia. Yes part 2 is coming later this evening.

Stupid and foolish common sayings that develop.

Yes, we all know some don’t we. My favourite is when you walk up to a counter in a shop or wait in a cue and make it to the front to be asked “you right there?” After suffering those fools for a long time I have come up with the perfect answer.
With a smileI respond “No, I’m waiting to be served”

Question. Is that the best answer.

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-05-2018 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #249
woofa.express

Part 2.
The Pirate raid on Lahad Datu.

Lahad Datu,or La Datu for short is a grubby town in the south east of the East Malaysian state of Sabah. Population 200K. A commercial centre for the surrounding industries of palm oil and timber. Palm plantations stretch for miles and miles and what timber, good quality hard wood, remains is quickly being plundered for local use and export. This sensible greenie say plundered because there is little or none left for wild life. Monkeys don’t live in palms and elephants pull the small trees from the ground in protest. Electric fences were erected as a barrier to these big fellows. The plantations are owned mainly by the government.
The town has one good supermarket, one good hotel and one good western bank, the Standard Charter. There are no rubbish bins and rubbish is simply dropped when it is to be disposed. The fish market and meat market are on the shore and all waste is thrown onto the mud flats and is disposed by the tide. It's on the nose. The wet climate makes fungus on the buildings. Many people are homeless and simply sit around the streets. One needs to be tolerant to grubby streets and smelly odours. There is no point in elaborating on the filth. I am told the stilt houses in the harbour have been demolished leaving no place for the inhabitants to live. Many new housing apartments have been built but only for Malaysians and not their guest workers who were from other Muslim states, Indonesia, Pakistan and Mindanao in the southern Philippines.
I am going on a bit considering this story was to be of pirates arriving in La Datu. Let me continue.
This happened in ’85 and I started work there in ’95. It is a story that is still a talking point. Well the Philippine pirates arrived in town. The military base emptied and the soldiers fled westward. The police left in the same hurried manner. The pirates went to the bank mentioned above, but not to make a deposit. There are still bullet holes in the wall and now cashiers serve behind thick bullet proof glass. They made two other significant calls. One to the military barracks where they acquired a large inventory of weapons, there was no resistance there. And to the police station where they released all the prisoners and immediately had many more pirate recruits plus more weapons. No doubt they took provisions and other items they thought to be handy. Many injured, 20 dead.
Now here’s where they were smart. They called the police and informed them a boat was left to the east near Sahabat. Two days later the navy arrived along with the media and in coordinated timing filmed as the military shot the boat out of the water, all recorded to be shown on national news on how the military dealt with baddies.
The shots are the resort at Sahabat and myself rolling, -spreading fertilizer somewhere in Malaysia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sahabat resort.jpg (20.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg peninsula topdressing.JPG (49.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-05-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #250
woofa.express

I will be away from internet coverage for 2 maybe 3 days. Maybe someone else can write their story. gary

Old 09-06-2018, 10:15 PM   #251
ursus

Your mention of markers setting the line for the next pass from a cropduster reminds me of my wife's chagrin at always being passed over for what was then a relatively easy and well paid job back then. Two of her erstwhile friends were able secure such desired employment, both having died of cancer in their thirties. The wife still cannot reconcile the irony.

I recall growing up in a house that bordered a large barley field. The wood shingled roof needed replacement and when the crew arrived for work they seemed to hold off after noting an old Stearman biplane working over the adjacent field. They signaled to the pilot and it soon became apparent that it was for him to just barely clear the roof at the end of each pass. The impact of propwash from that low pitch propeller made their job easier as it lifted off and launched a good portion of the shingles into the next field. I still recall the grin of the pilot as he bombed our house.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:09 AM   #252
woofa.express

Well it appears to be true.

I heard a story of kids pranking on a stationary radar vehicle. Mischievous pay back fun. An old timer bus driver told me the same story and said he knew the story to be correct, so here it is.
Strathmerton is a small village about 15 miles south of us here in Tocumwal and has a population of about 1K. The local farming is dairying and a large cheese factory is located in Strathy. The highway runs through the town with a speed limit of 80kms per hour (48mph). The highway patrol (highway men) employ contractors throughout Victoria who set up speed cameras in stationary vehicles with darkened windows; mafia style. Well I suppose the two bodies have the same endeavour. Theft.
A group of town kids went and talked to the operator to distract his attention whilst one removed the number plate from the rear of the vehicle.
They departed the scene and attached the plate to the rear of their vehicle and what do you think they did?
Yes. They made numerous passes past the radar vehicle at speeds exceeding the limit. It is said that the contracting authority sent themselves speed infringement notices.
Good one kids.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #253
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
Love Model A stories. My 30 Cabby was redone in the 60's in NY someplace. Smokey has carried me many-a mile with new stories every trip.
We were someplace and an elderly couple came up to her. The purple haired lady was looking longingly in the Rumble seat. I've seen that misty look before so I sez "Did you ever fool around in a rumble seat. Her eyes watered as she blurted out "YES, but not with HIM"!! Then my eyes watered...
A true examble of a "Jalopy"
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #254
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
A true examble of a "Jalopy"

Do not know what happened, was meant for post 189.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:55 AM   #255
woofa.express

Bill was both Clever and Cunning.

Bill Riley was an astute and enterprising fellow. He had the Australian agency and distribution rights to sell the popular Blanik glider.
Henry gave his Model T customers a choice of colours. There was black in addition to black etc etc. You know the story. Well Blanik did better. There was black and a cacky coloured pinky-red. It was a bit yuk. Black was popular and the cack red-pink coloured one not.
Now Bill had a problem. He had 3 sold. He had 3 cacky and only 2 black. Well Bill fixed that. He let it be widely known that when they were built and flight tested the ones that exceeded designed performance were painted red.
Well, as you might expect each of the customers insisted they had to have a red one. Problem solved.
No flies on Bill. It is said one needs to be out of bed early to beat a yank. I reckon you need to be out of bed even earlier to beat Bill. And such a likeable bloke.

Tomorrow I have a story on Bill and other local blokes here in Tocumwal. All about enterprise and initiative. The Blanik shot is from the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blanik glider.jpg (17.6 KB, 9 views)

Old 09-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #256
woofa.express

Ingenuity, Initiative, Enterprise and Leadership. Recognise these qualities of people in your community.

I was working out of Ingham in far north Queensland spraying sugar cane. This would have been about ’75. A Cessna 182 arrived towing a glider in accompaniment with an engine powered glider that had departed Tocumwal, some 1500 nautical miles to the south. Pilots Peter Menhennett in the Cessna, Bill Riley in the glider and Bert Persons in the powered glider. Little did I realise I too would end up living and working at Tocumwal in ’78 as an itinerant and being here ever since. The first Christmas eve I asked Peter, the bloke mentioned above, if he could fly me to Tullamarine airport (Melbourne airport). Peter said no not really, but he could run me to Essendon airport which was close by and I could take a cab. Why, what be the difference I asked. Well Peter explained he was familiar with procedures of arrival and departure out of Essendon but not Tullamarine. If he messed up at Tulla and an incident report would be created and the aviation authority, CASA, would find out he had no flying licence. It wasn’t worth the risk. Eventually Peter did get a pilot licence. He flew all my planes but didn’t do ag work in them of course. Not that I know of anyway.

My two sons Dennis and Michael’s first job was working at the Tocumwal gliding school with Peter and Bill Riley doing menial tasks and by saving their wages took lessons in flying gliders. Des Russell, Peter’s father in law, was their instructor. The next year I taught them to fly aeroplanes and they towed gliders under the supervision of Peter.They enjoyed working there and were well supervised by all the above mentioned people who provided not only supervision but leadership as well.
. Footnote.
Peter’s father in law was Des Russell. The gliding instructor and otherwise builder. He and Peter built my house near Tocumwal.
Eldest son Dennis accrued some 700 hours towing and second son Michael some 900 hours. Both have progressed on to fly airliners. . They both got their start from Peter, Des and Bill Riley. In the morning Dennis flies Sydney- Auckland- Brisbane and Michael does Hong Kong-New York.
Des had an aneurism and died near Tamworth, I returned him to Tocumwal. That was his last flight and landing at Tocumwal. Now that was sad. Bill too has passed. Sadly I don’t believe they got the recognition from the community that was deserved. And Peter, he remains our family friend and the boy wonder. You have to admire his courage and initiative don’t you.
Extra footnote.
One day Peter’s wife, Maryanne was flying to Darwin on the airliner and Dennis, just be chance was captain. Her seat was upgraded and she later told Peter that never again was she flying economy.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #257
woofa.express

New and stuffed up on a simple job.

Years ago when the cattle price collapsed (1974) followed by the super spreading businesses. Most of the ag pilots went and got instrument ratings. This was payed for by the government. Gough Whitlam was prime minister and he spilt more money before breakfast than the whole nation made each day.
Well silly old gary didn’t get an instrument rating, he went to Queensland and sprayed grasshoppers. A Piper Pawnee using phenetrothion at 6oz per acre. This was out of 6 nozzles, 3 each side. Well that’s so fine it’s not easy to see.
I was working south of Meandarra with a wartime pilot by the name of Gordon Robotham. Gordon had finished his job and was ready to return to Dalby. He asked if he could take my plane and leave me his because he still had a quantity of chemical remaining. This plane was set up with 2 of 9 gallon beer kegs in the hopper, they were pressurised by a bottle of nitrogen and the flow was achieved by turning on a home made tap located on the floor on the left. Two bolts welded to form a “T”.
I sprayed my last paddock. I remember it well. 200acres in a good rectangle. Sorghum for spur throated grasshoppers. Easy job and a big job for an aeroplane that doesn’t fly fast and has only an18 yard swath width.
On route home I noticed I had left the spray system on. Remember it was difficult to see such a fine low volume spray. I bent down and turned the spray tap 90 degrees and the flow stopped. I had flown the whole or part of the paddock with nozzles off but turned them on for the turns.
Well I was a new boy on that job and had no idea of what the company would say. I had no choice but to call the farmer with the boss and all listening. Told him he did not get a good job, didn’t elaborate, and if he was to check it in two or three days and let me know. I’d return and respray if necessary.
He did call back and agreed with me, that is , it was not a good job, however he said the little critters had lost their appetite and he expected they had finished devouring his crop. I surely must have sprayed part of that crop before my confusion with off/on.
Now that was pleasing. Pleasing that is on both accounts. Having some effect and not having to return because it was quite a distance.
The picture is a Pawnee but internet acquired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pawnee.jpg (19.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-12-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:27 AM   #258
woofa.express

Todays story 8 hours away. In the interim here is a piece of trivia.

Stupid and foolish common sayings that develop.

Yes, we all know some don’t we. My favourite is when you walk up to a counter in a shop or wait in a cue and make it to the front to be asked “you right there?” After suffering those fools for a long time I have come up with the perfect answer.
With a smile and in courtesy I respond “No, I’m waiting to be served”
Question. Is that the best answer.?

Sometimes I get a smile when the shop keeper realises their foolish question and sometimes I get a scowl.
Either way I get a smile.

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-13-2018 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #259
woofa.express

The GPS sales team is Lost.

GPS for ag work tracking arrived in ’94. In ’95 I held a meeting of GPS sales reps and operators at my base in Finley. Three GPS teams arrived and operators came from near and far. It was a good day.
About the start of meeting time I had a call from the Trimble sales people who were flying in.They asked where they would they find Finley. As I was speaking to them a Twin Comanche flew past my back fence. “what sort of aeroplane are you flying” I asked. A Twin Comanche they responded. “well throttle back and let your wheels down. You are about to fly downwind runway 05” I told them.
About 15 minutes later Robby Robbilliard walks in. “how did you get here Rob I enquired”. My Twin Comanche he responded. Didn’t you see me fly past your back fence just a few minutes ago? “Yes, of course I did.”
I had figured it was the Trimble GPS people. But they, I later figured, were somewhere down the Barmah Lakes on the Murray some 30 miles away. They eventually arrived and do you know what they said to me. No of course you don’t. Absolutely nothing, not at thing. I wouldn’t have either if I was selling GPS and was lost.
The picture is a twin Comanche and was acquired from the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twin commanchie.jpg (19.2 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-13-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #260
woofa.express

The Biggest Lies of All.

Outside the government’s press releases and parliamentary statements the biggest lies of all are -

About the size of fish particularly the ones that got away.

About the yields of crops including potential yields of crops not harvested for one reason or another.

By reading the Barn I think some contributors dream about the speed of their A’s. Some owners claim such high speeds they are approaching the sound barrier.

About the speed of aeroplanes. At times the story teller adds a tail wind component to indicated airspeed and states ground speed as true airspeed. Sometimes they just lie.

My statement is challenged.

Today’s story is of a challenge issued to me by my ag operator friend Robby Robbilliard who operates out of Griffith NSW. It goes like this.
One day Robby’s dad Bert calls by (early 90’s). A social call enroute to Griffith. I take Bert to my hanger for a look in. I have this horney looking Bonanza and I say to Bert, “go and tell Robby I have a faster aeroplane than his”. Robby has a twin Comanche.

Bert departs. The drive time to Griffith is and hour and 52 minutes. An hour and 53 minutes later I get a call from Robby. “so you reckon your aeroplane is faster than mine. Challenge you to a pylon race and winner takes all”
I consulted several people who own or have owned both types. The consensus I got was the Bonanza would just knock off the twin Comanche. A well known engine rebuilder told me to use an additive, it may have been methanol, I don’t recall. Then I would definitely synch theComanche.
Well I’m not a betting man. I neither wanted Robby’s aeroplane nor did I wish to loose mine. We never did partake of that competition but we did talk about it for years. Who would have won. Still we each claim our respective aeroplane to be the fastest. The Twin Comanche is internet sauced and the Bonanza is mine.
Robby is still my friend. Sometime I must tell you about Robby’s big boat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fwt.jpg (19.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg twin comanchie.jpg (18.3 KB, 9 views)