Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2015, 11:30 PM   #1
RalphG

Default 52 Mercury Carburetor

I'm assuming it is a Holley on the stock 52 Mercury. Not too surprisingly after a 30+ year rest the carb has issues. Seems like only one side is working well as it needs a bit of choke to keep running and stalls easily when dropping into gear. When I spray a shot of penetrating oil into the right side venturi it smooths out and picks up rpm briefly so I'm assuming the right side circuit is blocked. I'm reluctant to take it apart for cleaning without a repair kit on hand for the gaskets that will likely break on dis-assembly. Anyone know the model number of this carburetor?
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:22 AM   #2
big job

Default Re: 52 Mercury Carburetor

I think you have a better chance with the gas can put on the cowl so it will get the
pump going (gravity) what you have is the 4 bolt (mount) Holley called a tea pot.
they are easy to take apart slowly without breaking gaskets. I find to loosen screws
and soak in a bucket of gas to soften the gaskets. Running on half a bank sounds like
the venturi's plugged up. Then clean with lacquer thinner keep the acc pump soaked
to swell it. These were used on big truck Y blocks, so theres lots of kits around.
as far as the model I'm not in the shop now gotta look it up. I got rid of those on my
trucks & got an adaptor for a square bowl later 2300 Holley problem over. sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:19 AM   #3
Charlie ny
BANNED

Ralph,
For a no excuses kit try DAYTONA PARTS 386 427 7108. Over the years
things like carbs get switched...you know the story. The HOLLEY back draft carb
is #885-FFC used '49-late '51 and occasionally on some '52's ( I just finished one
on a '52 ) and the HOLLEY tea pot late '51- '53 #1901-FF.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
RalphG

Yes, after extensive online searching I see the Holley 1901 "teapot carburetor" is the style my Merc has. Now I need to get the "list" number off the carb if I am going to go any further with ordering a repair kit. I tried the old trick of removing the air mixture screw on the right side and giving it a shot of air from the compressor but it made no difference. After such a long period of inactivity I guess it is a miracle it works at all. On another note, I am a little shocked at how quick it burns up a litre of gas just sitting still.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote