Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2021, 04:14 PM   #1
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Harmon Collins build thread ...

This is just the start of a thread on the Harmon Collins distributor build . I have 3-4 of these in the shop and have just stopped just to build these units . I will include a step by step blow by blow as we go over the next couple weeks .
I have done quite a few of these over the years and will include part numbers etc for different stuff.
So lets start with the WHY do you need a Harmon Collins dual coil set up for the flathead ????

And i guess you could answer that with you dont need it .

However there was a time when you could experience a gain from the dual coils etc. Lets pretend its 1944 or so and you have built your 50th flathead and each one you and Jed down at the Esso station had figured out how to make one run a much higher rpm band from stock . Assuming its 1944 there wasnt many options even with a small tow ignition guru with a old allen or sun machine .
I remember hauling a box of parts wrapped in a army blanket to another town and having some top secret work done (early 60s for me), put the heads back in the blanket then taking them back to the station . ( we ran a flathead on a local dirt track and the rules were stock engines , up to 53 ) Years later i began to understand that the out of town shop was flycutting the heads so the valves didnt hit the head!!!
So lets assume you do need it and think they LOOK cool !!
The Harmon Collins dual coil is a pretty simple unit utilizing tow seperate coils and acts as two four cylinder ignition systems utilizing a increased dwell time per coil firing event , ( so there IS a advantage ) Distributor cam is ground to provide four cylinder action thru the bendix aircraft platinum contacts !!! Platium high quality contacts are very reliable and may or may not need replacement .
SO FOR DISCUSSION SAKE LETS ASUME YOU DO NEED THE ENHANCED SYSTEM .......
SO LETS DISCUSS AS WE GO , I WILL ADD AS TIME ALLOWS ........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3794.jpg (57.6 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3796.jpg (43.1 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3799.jpg (61.8 KB, 176 views)
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote