Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2020, 10:45 PM   #1
Deuce Man

Default 46 ford misfire

My 46 ford flathead v8 has a faint misfire at 40 to 50 miles an hour obviously this is at a very low throttle setting. The misfire goes away if I pull the choke out about one third. My motor is quite sound, has a Bubba's distributor, a Charlie NY carburetor and fuel pump, fresh plugs and wires, I even had Charlie down here in Florida go thru my carb He said " I hate going thru a carburetor like this" I asked why? he said" I couldn't find anything wrong with it" I am sure I don't 'have a vacuum leak as it idles like a kitten. I even have an electric fuel pump in line, makes no difference whether it is on or off still sounds like the motor is running too lean at cruise speed. I would run with the partial choke setting but when I stop for a light or something I have to push the choke in or it idles at a couple thousand or so! I am out of ideas, any help from you guys will be greatly appreciated, Thanks Rich by the way the motor is completely stock
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:52 PM   #2
TomO

Default Re: 46 ford misfire

It sounds like you have a restricted fuel line or a vacuum leak on the input to the fuel pump. Try replacing the flex line to the fuel pump. Use a correct flex line, not a rubber hose with clamps. Your electric fuel pump could be restricting fuel flow also.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:00 AM   #3
Norris McCarty

I’d replace the condenser 1st. Cheap and easy. Sounds like a similar situation I had some years ago.
Norris McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #4
Deuce Man

Norris, just did that a few weeks , thanks
Old 12-20-2020, 08:24 AM   #5
G.M.

Try some Marvel Mystery oil. Down the carb and
in the tank. Sticky valves. G.M.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
Deuce Man

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Tom O I am going to try running my car off a temporary tank, maybe one of my boat tanks. Take the tank, inline fuel pump lines etc. out of the loop. thanks for the idea.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #7
GB SISSON

Had a very similar situation a couple months ago. Chased it for months. Mine went like this... It finaly broke down 5 miles from home. Got towed. the rotor had shorted to ground. Replaced it, but it still had the miss. The miss continued to worsen. I found one cylinder wasn't firing, and sometimes two. I discovered my plug wires that I had taken off a scrap motor years before were of the carbon type. Not real wire. I run 12 v and a bosch super coil. I bought a set of universal copper wires and made them up. My woodie has never run as well as it does today. Of course during the investigation I had tuned, adjusted and tweaked every system in the process, but in my case the problem was the bad wires.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote