Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
07travis

Default where to start with my flathead?

I recently purchased a 47 ford 1 ton pickup for the flathead that's in it. We got it over to my father-in-laws, and I ran out of time to look it over very much. He's been tinkering with it a bit and I'm just wonder what your guys' thoughts are. heres what we got so far:

1. there is oil in the motor, and it doesn't appear to have water in it.
2. there was antifreeze in the motor.
3. it's been sitting since 71' outside in the pickup with the hood closed, and air cleaner on.
4. it is stuck. My father-in-law pulled some of the spark plugs and said he could see some water in a few of the cylinders. He put diesel in the cylinders to try and free the motor, and it's sitting like that right now.

My plan is to try and use this motor in my 30' model A tudor. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to work on it some more and see if I can't get it free. I'm wondering where to start with this motor and if anyone else has started with something like this and had any luck? Thanks!
07travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
flatheadernie

Default Re: where to start with my flathead?

Most started like this I think, add marvel mystry oil plenty of it too the cyl. to help break it loose. remove oil pressure sender use pump can or pressure oiler to oil the bearings( it will take time)let it soak overnite , longer if you can. then take the motor apart see what u got, running at his stage can hurt more than help MHO. Rember this is a FUN time enjoy whatever You decide to do!!! ernie n tx PS I have been lucky both ways, who knows??
flatheadernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
joel

Tear it down. I bought a car with a fresh rebuilt FH in it . The engine didn't want to turn over, so I tore it down. this engine was machined and reassembled in about '61 and never fired. ( 59A) The rods had new bushings for the wrist pins, but one wasn't drilled for oiling. The block had some residual sludge in the lifter valley. It had new cam and lifters but the cam bearings but they were gouged, even though they were new. I had thought about trying to fire it , but after tearing it down I was glad I didn't.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
Barry WNY

You are going to get it all I would hope? Trans will be a keeper if it's the small one, also center crossmember, pedals, steering, front shock mounts, etc... Don't throw nuthin away.
Barry WNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
Mike in AZ

price of gasket set may be all you need....yank the heads and intake and check things out.....good luck and welcome to the flathead fun....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
flatjack9

If there was water in any of the cylinders, you need to at least pull the heads to seee what kind of damage it has done.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #7
Ronnie

Pull the heads take a peek sitting since 71 it won't be pretty.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
07travis

Thanks for the help guys! hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to work on it a bit. I'll keep you updated as I'm new to flatheads and will probably have a few more questions! Thanks Again!
07travis is offline   Reply With Quote