Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2017, 11:04 AM   #1
RB

Default 32 cowl vent fit issue

Received a call from a fellow 32 owner regarding a 32 vent lid that opens fine however will not close flush & as I recall two type of lids were offered but do not recall if they can be swapped. I do recall slightly tweaking the cowl top inner structure & the lid as well to get my 32 to align properly & can only assume that was the first order of business. can anyone comment further ?
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
Karl Wescott

Default Re: 32 cowl vent fit issue

The two lids have very different hinges. My understanding that either lid/hinge assembly will work but the wrong lid/hinge combo would not be close enough to even mount up to the body.

To troubleshoot, first remove the ratchet and spring and see if the lid will fit the opening. If not check for interference with the gasket, then unbolt the hinge from the body and see if the lid will simply fit into the body.

Once you establish that the lid hinges properly and will settle down on the gasket then try the ratchet and spring. The issue could be a bent bracket for the ratchet, this geometry is somewhat sensitive for proper operation.

It would be helpful to know what if any part of the system is reproduction parts, and if this is an attempt to retrofit into a fiberglass body.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
DavidG

The early and late '32 cowl vent lids are not interchangeable unless the hinge is also changed to the appropriate version.

There is a small amount of adjustment available via slotted holes in the hinge where the lid attaches. Start by installing the lid without the weather seal in place. If you get a good fit, the problem is with the seal. I've found that the firmness of at least some of the reproduction seals is too hard and won't compress properly when the lid is installed. I solved that by resting a couple of shock absorbers on top of the lid (unattached to the hinge) for a couple of weeks to overcome the molecular memory of the rubber. In other examples of reproduction seals, they're too thick and I've had to cut them in half in order to get a proper lid fit.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
DavidG

Karl poses a good question. My comments above refer to original lids, hinges, and bodies. I have no experience with fiberglass, Brookville, or United Pacific bodies or cowl vent reproduction parts other than the rubber weather seals.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
RB

Thanks guys, will forward the info. I'm certain it is an all steel car & the lid is is an original. I see an n.o.s. original early style is currently advertised this A.M. on e-bay as well, good pix for i.d. if nothing else.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #6
rbullockv8

Funny. Mine opens slightly higher on one side--looks a little lopsided from the front. But it closes perfectly. Guess they were a challenge.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:55 AM   #7
4dsrus

I want to thank you all for your posts. Very helpful. My car turns out to have early hinge & late cowl lid . Purchasing correct hinge & all should be well. Frustrating but car people usually have an answer to a problem, we didn't have to reinvent the wheel to fix the problem. Thanks again. 4dsrus
4dsrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:29 AM   #8
RB

Smile Re: 32 cowl vent fit issue

Glad it worked out Doug, this is an awesome site with great input