Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
jack orchard

Default Adjustable lifters, L100 cam

I have a L100 reground cam to be used with a 8BA flatmotor. I believe this cam requires the adjusting screw on adjustable lifters to be to be extended farther than normal. Does this lead to unreliable adjustment of valve clearances? Who makes the most reliable lifter for this application? Does anyone make a taller lifter for this use? Thanks to all for your time...jack
jack orchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
flatjack9

Default Re: Adjustable lifters, L100 cam

Use small c---y 1.5" exhaust valves. They have a longer stem, otherwise the same as Ford.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
Kahuna

I believe this cam requires the adjusting screw on adjustable lifters to be to be extended farther than normal. Does this lead to unreliable adjustment of valve clearances?
Jack:
Yes, it does go beyond what I think is an acceptable adjustment. If you are going to be using new valves, then use the GM valves as they are .060" longer. Then use "lash caps" to keep the adjuster in a good (read tight) range. Lash caps are available in different thicknesses. The GM valves are also available in .100" overlength.
JMO
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
Fourdy

Kahuna,
More about "lash caps" please. Where do I find them and what thread do I ask for.

Thank you very much.

Fourdy
Fourdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Kahuna

Ok, before I go any further, I should say that if and when I do another flathead engine, I would NOT use adjustable lifters. I just don't really trust them, especially in an engine that I've invested a large amount of time and money in.
Fourdy
Lash caps are items in varying thicknesses (like .060", .090", etc. they do not screw on, but rather are a very tight fit to the valve stem. They are hardened steel. They are used regularly in high-performance engines. They are available from places like Jeg's, Speedway, Summit, etc.
In my opinion, they are a helpful item, but are just another bandaid.
Jim

Last edited by Kahuna; 12-20-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: added info
Old 12-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Richard in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack orchard View Post
I have a L100 reground cam to be used with a 8BA flatmotor. I believe this cam requires the adjusting screw on adjustable lifters to be to be extended farther than normal. Does this lead to unreliable adjustment of valve clearances?
I have an L-100 in my 8BA using stock valves. I'm using hollow Johnson adjustable lifters.

I don't baby that engine; it regularly sees 4000 rpm. The adjustable lifters have been in there for six years now, and they're as quiet as they were the day I first started the engine.

Parts that have stood the test of time are seldom the spawn of the devil.
Richard in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
George G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Florida View Post
I have an L-100 in my 8BA using stock valves. I'm using hollow Johnson adjustable lifters.

I don't baby that engine; it regularly sees 4000 rpm. The adjustable lifters have been in there for six years now, and they're as quiet as they were the day I first started the engine.

Parts that have stood the test of time are seldom the spawn of the devil.
Same experience. L 100 new adjustable lifters from Reds Headers, Reground valves, 3 years, lots of miles. No issues.

Don't over think things.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
flatjack9

I've got 18 years and 50,000 miles on my adjustables. Don't even know they are there. With the brand x valves, there is no need for lash caps.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:56 PM   #9
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Ok, before I go any further, I should say that if and when I do another flathead engine, I would NOT use adjustable lifters. I just don't really trust them, especially in an engine that I've invested a large amount of time and money in.
Fourdy
Lash caps are items in varying thicknesses (like .060", .090", etc. they do not screw on, but rather are a very tight fit to the valve stem. They are hardened steel. They are used regularly in high-performance engines. They are available from places like Jeg's, Speedway, Summit, etc.
In my opinion, they are a helpful item, but are just another bandaid.
Jim
Showing my inexperience here, but can an extended length chevy valve be used with lash caps to gain length to use original lifters on a re-ground cam? Is it possible to grind the valve stem with blacksmith shop tools (grinding wheel) to the correct length because the lash caps provide the corrrect end? Or is ther a better way to use non-adjustable lifters with a re-grind?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:30 AM   #10
Kahuna

Richard, George, Flatjack: There is no doubt that they work and for the most part work well. For my application I just think the std type would be better. Just my opinion
Jim
Old 12-21-2011, 01:32 AM   #11
Kahuna

40 Coupe
Yes to the first part.
No, to the second. You need something better than a bench grinder to create a flat face on the valve stem
Old 12-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #12
Walt Dupont--Me.

You usally don't need lash cap with Chrvy valve, most of us old timer have valves grinders with butt grinders on the end, you can take off .0005 with them. You really cain't do it with a bench grinder. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #13
Ronnie

Lash caps an a flat motor are more trouble than they are worth.
Do the job correctly with the correct parts and they won't be called for. They are really designed to prevent excess wear on valve tips from roller rockers in a racing application.
If the adjuster screws are in spec and valve tips done properly it isn't much of a task to get it done.

My2¢

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
Ol' Ron

I recommend the use of Chevy valves. I also recommend you remove aprox, 1/8" from the top of the lifter bore. At one time there was longer lifter screws to compensate for hi lift cams. However, all this isn't necessary, it just makes things easier.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
JonC

I have the opposite problem, I was afraid my valves were too long and the adjustable lifters were not going short enough. L100 cam manley chevy replacement valves 10077-8. I need to screw in the adjuster almost all the way down making the lifter .010 or so shorter than the original.
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #16
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
I have the opposite problem, I was afraid my valves were too long and the adjustable lifters were not going short enough. L100 cam manley chevy replacement valves 10077-8. I need to screw in the adjuster almost all the way down making the lifter .010 or so shorter than the original.
JonC, take your valves to a machine shop and them take 15-.020 off the stems, then you won't have to screw your lifters down so far. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote