Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2022, 05:37 PM   #1
Kube

Default 10" clutch ID?

Recently removed this plate from the back of a 59AB.
The flywheel appears to be stock. There are no extra holes drilled / tapped for this bolt pattern.
I can no longer recall how many clutch R&R's I've done. I'll state "many". I have never seen this bolt pattern / pressure plate.

The six holes are evenly spaced. Center to center is about 5 3/4".

So, any idea what I have here?

thanks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100855.JPG (160.5 KB, 115 views)
Old 09-10-2022, 06:09 PM   #2
42merc

Default Re: 10" clutch ID?

'49 '50 Mercury pressure plate. 10" Borg & Beck.
Commonly seen on 8ba's in early Fords.

Last edited by 42merc; 09-10-2022 at 06:16 PM.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 06:20 PM   #3
40cpe

It does appear to be a Borg and Beck pressure plate found on 8CM Mercury engines. The issue is that the 8BA/8CM flywheels aren't compatible with 59 styled crankshafts. I'd be interested in how that flywheel came to that engine.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 06:35 PM   #4
petehoovie

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 09-11-2022 at 01:15 AM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 09:25 PM   #5
rotorwrench

The flywheel could have been drilled to take it. It uses the same spline as early Ford if it has the right number stamped in the periphery of the center port where the fingers are. The late 51 thru 53 Merc had longer fingers due to the use of the 1-inch 10-spline input. The 49 thru early 51 still had the 1 3/8" 10-spline same as early Ford. The later type Mercury transmission had the new gears and an all new bell housing plus a different throw out bearing for late 51. The Borg & Beck numbers are different for them.

Let me know what the numbers are and I can tell if it's Mercury 8CM stuff. I send mine to Fort Wayne Clutch to get them rebuilt. The numbers are in the Hollander Interchange manual.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 10:17 PM   #6
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
It does appear to be a Borg and Beck pressure plate found on 8CM Mercury engines. The issue is that the 8BA/8CM flywheels aren't compatible with 59 styled crankshafts. I'd be interested in how that flywheel came to that engine.
Lord knows, me too!
Old 09-10-2022, 10:18 PM   #7
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The flywheel could have been drilled to take it. It uses the same spline as early Ford if it has the right number stamped in the periphery of the center port where the fingers are. The late 51 thru 53 Merc had longer fingers due to the use of the 1-inch 10-spline input. The 49 thru early 51 still had the 1 3/8" 10-spline same as early Ford. The later type Mercury transmission had the new gears and an all new bell housing plus a different throw out bearing for late 51. The Borg & Beck numbers are different for them.

Let me know what the numbers are and I can tell if it's Mercury 8CM stuff. I send mine to Fort Wayne Clutch to get them rebuilt. The numbers are in the Hollander Interchange manual.
I'll look carefully once again tomorrow. i thought I had looked carefully earlier today. Perhaps not.

Just to add... this was in a running, driving '36 for well over a decade.
Old 09-11-2022, 01:16 AM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Recently removed this plate from the back of a 59AB.
The flywheel appears to be stock. There are no extra holes drilled / tapped for this bolt pattern.
I can no longer recall how many clutch R&R's I've done. I'll state "many". I have never seen this bolt pattern / pressure plate.

The six holes are evenly spaced. Center to center is about 5 3/4".

So, any idea what I have here?

thanks...
Many of us know that even though an early, OR a late (8BA Ford/8CM Merc) flywheel will bolt onto any flathead crank, it is still imperative to use the flywheel that matches the block for the OPERATION of starter TO BE 100% SUCCESSFUL!

The OP did not note whether or not this came off of a "Known-to-run-GOOD" engine. In other words, even though it was glued-together that way doesn't necessarily mean that it worked GOOD that way!

Most folks know that you can swap a 4" Merc crank and rods into a "59" or earlier block, and it'll all work if you use a '48 and earlier flywheel. It's possible this guy didn't know about the differences between early and late flywheels and used the Merc flywheel & clutch 'cuz it was easy to glue-on, and 'cuz he had it laying there.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 09-11-2022 at 03:46 AM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 07:48 AM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Many of us know that even though an early, OR a late (8BA Ford/8CM Merc) flywheel will bolt onto any flathead crank, it is still imperative to use the flywheel that matches the block for the OPERATION of starter TO BE 100% SUCCESSFUL!

The OP did not note whether or not this came off of a "Known-to-run-GOOD" engine. In other words, even though it was glued-together that way doesn't necessarily mean that it worked GOOD that way!

Most folks know that you can swap a 4" Merc crank and rods into a "59" or earlier block, and it'll all work if you use a '48 and earlier flywheel. It's possible this guy didn't know about the differences between early and late flywheels and used the Merc flywheel & clutch 'cuz it was easy to glue-on, and 'cuz he had it laying there.

Coop

I can only hazard a guess here... most likely this was "laying around" and as such, utilized.
This vehicle has been operated just fine for at least the past dozen years. Crank? No idea what's in there.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:17 AM   #10
Bored&Stroked

Just to add some more perspective. About the only issue I know of, is that when you use a late flywheel on an earlier engine the starter engagement can sometimes be a problem. Folks have mentioned that due to the ring-gear being in a different location, that this issue can happen . . . and I'm sure it has.

Personally, I've never had the problem and I run a Fidanza billet aluminum flywheel (49-53) on my 42 Merc engine. It seems that in the case of Kube, the later setup has been in the car for many years - without any issues.

From a clutch and clutch-disc perspective, I can't see an issue. Whether it is a Borg and Beck clutch plate or a Ford Long plate really shouldn't make any difference. They both do the same thing and the throw-out bearing actuates them in the same manner.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:52 AM   #11
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Just to add some more perspective. About the only issue I know of, is that when you use a late flywheel on an earlier engine the starter engagement can sometimes be a problem. Folks have mentioned that due to the ring-gear being in a different location, that this issue can happen . . . and I'm sure it has.

Personally, I've never had the problem and I run a Fidanza billet aluminum flywheel (49-53) on my 42 Merc engine. It seems that in the case of Kube, the later setup has been in the car for many years - without any issues.

From a clutch and clutch-disc perspective, I can't see an issue. Whether it is a Borg and Beck clutch plate or a Ford Long plate really shouldn't make any difference. They both do the same thing and the throw-out bearing actuates them in the same manner.
I very much appreciate your advice as well as the advice from others.
I won't be able to inspect this vehicle until this evening. I am very eager to look at it once again and eventually figure out exactly what I have here to work with.

Thanks guys....
Old 09-11-2022, 11:14 AM   #12
19Fordy

Gentlemen,

Will this help clarify?
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...lutch.1095611/

It looks like the same 50 Merc. 10 in. pressure plate and clutch I have installed on my 8BA using a 1950 Merc. flywheel. I used stock 40 Ford throw out bearing bearing with stock 40 transmission.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 12:55 PM   #13
theHIGHLANDER

This is the place for clutch work.

https://kyclutch.com/

Fast, friendly, knowledgeable. They turned around a 41 Cadillac rebuild and balance in 2 days, $140, yeah shipping is $50 each way, but still 1/2 what others quote. The job was perfect, it never did better.
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 02:04 PM   #14
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHIGHLANDER View Post

Fast, friendly, knowledgeable. They turned around a 41 Cadillac rebuild and balance in 2 days, $140, yeah shipping is $50 each way, but still 1/2 what others quote. The job was perfect, it never did better.

Address
KY Clutch and Performance, Inc.
250 Gun Club Road
Brooks, KY 40109
(502) 955-9173

Hours of operation
Monday-Friday: 7:30AM – 5:00PM (EDT)
Saturday: 9:00AM – 12:00PM (EDT)

Payment Methods
We accept VISA and Mastercard

Looking for a clutch kit?
Need a rebuild? You're in the right place.

Whatever you're looking for, we have it in stock.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 09:24 AM   #15
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHIGHLANDER View Post

I'm gonna chance this place per your advice and experience. I'll let everyone know how my experience turns out.

Thanks to all!
Old 09-13-2022, 11:50 AM   #16
cas3

This is a similar place, small shop, good service. They rebuild your parts. The clutch Doctor. https://www.chamberofcommerce.com/un...-clutch-doctor
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote