Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2021, 05:35 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default The Ace Mechanic Again

So an acquaintance has a 30 Coupe that hasn't run in 30/40 years, We took it to a shop on a truck and had them change all of the fluids, I gave him a 6V battery I had charged up and we spent a bit of time looking over general condition, put MM oil in the cylinders before the oil changes and let it sit there for a few days. This morning the shop called and asked me to come start it up for them. I drove there, pulled my distributor out of my car, cranked his up to the timing mark and dropped my distributor in place, hooked things up and after a couple of tries had it running rather well. Took it about three blocks to check the shifting and brakes, all feel good. The water pump leaks like a water-fall so ordered up a new leakless and will get that soon. While things were draining we had put a pencil filter into the gas shut off valve and drained the glass bowl. Probably should have pulled the carb, but hadn't and it was running before I asked the shop owner if he had pulled it. He told me no. As we were admiring that it was running so well a guy drove in and said he has a 30 Cabriolet that has set forever, though they faithfully start and run it once ever 12 months or so and have changed the oil a few times in the last 40 years, never been off their driveway in all that time. Will go look at it tonight. May have to make an offer if it's mostly like they say.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #2
Cape Codder

Default Re: The Ace Mechanic Again

What a great opportunity that is for you! Wish I could be so lucky.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:12 PM   #3
Chuck Dempsey

Default Re: The Ace Mechanic Again

When opportunity knocks...... Let us know how it turned out.
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote