Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Default Stiff 35 Ford steering

I have a 35 Ford with about 66K. It has a 49 Merc in it. The steering is pretty stiff and an issue for me since I had my shoulder replaced.
I've read several things but would like for some others to chime in and/or reflect.
One said replace fluid with STP ?
Another said to replace with a 37 or later box.
Vega box?

I'm looking for simple types of conversions (who isn't!). The box is pretty close to header too.
Thanks in advance.
Asphalt Outlaw Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: Stiff 35 Ford steering

37 to 39 box can easily be exchanged with your 35 box, either drill a hole or change out the mount. as for lube use 1/2 synthetic grease and 1/2 synthetic doping--makes a paste the consistency of mustard, I use a squeeze bottle to put it in, move the box back and forth to work this lube into the box
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:16 PM   #3
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone. AOH, I've got a '35 and a '36, both stone stock. Well, except... We changed the '36's box to a freshly rebult '37 that my Dear 'Ole Dad sourced from Charlie Schwendler (CharlieNY), and the difference is night and day! My '35 still has the stock box and it's a two handed-deal every turn, same with the'36 before the switch. Just the nature of the beast. Also parking either car straight between the lines was near impossible. The '36 now steers one-handed, is a dream in parking lots, just a really big change.

My personal preference is period correct stuff. So, that's been my experience with the steering. Hope it helps.

Edit to add: I don't have shoulder problems, yet. But I just got back from about 150 miles behind the wheel of the '35. Two lanes. I'm noticing my neck, back and shoulders are tired.

Edit again: How about a steering wheel knob? Ever try one of those, be careful cuz they can bang your hand badly if you're not paying attention, but it could be very low cost thing to try.

More reading: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...0351&showall=1

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 08-06-2017 at 07:11 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:41 AM   #4
Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Thanks for replies. I have located a 40 Box. Significant difference from 37-39 ?
Old 08-07-2017, 06:17 AM   #5
Mart

If space allowed, you could always try a 46 or so type steering wheel. They are an 18" wheel, yours would be a 17".

There is no significant difference between a 37-39 and a 40 box. You might have to work with column length and steering lock placement. But that's the name of the game as soon as you deviate from stock.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:21 AM   #6
deuce lover

If you currently have the original light switch you will need the bracket and bail from a 37-39.1940 light switch was on the dash.The frame bracket might have to be changed.I have heard that you can still use the 35 bracket and just relocate 1 of the 3 mounting holes.I have always replaced the bracket with a 37-40.Drake makes a repo bracket.The worm shaft is the same length.The column drop locking collar will have to be moved down to align with the '35 column drop.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Keep in mind that your original horn/light switch rod will no longer fit through that center hole in '40-'48 steering shaft, unless you convert to an earlier shaft. One way to do this is take your steering box apart and press the worm gear off the 40 shaft and replace with a earlier shaft that has correct size center hole.
In your case, you could use the steering shaft from your '35 box and replace that worm with the '40 worm. Or another option is to find a '37-'39 steering with the correct length shaft. The last conversion that we did replaced a stock '36 box with a stock rebuilt '37 box, and replaced the '36 frame mounting plate with a '37 -'40 plate. After that, everything bolted back in place with no problem. There have been several good posts giving details on how to press these worms off and on without damaging/bending the shaft.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 08-07-2017 at 05:02 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:22 PM   #8
supereal

Be sure that the spindle bearing is on the bottom of the kingpin in the spindle opening for the front axle. Otherwise the steering will be very difficult. I've a lot of the misassembled.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #9
blucar

The '40 steering gear box is a direct replacement for the '36 with a few exceptions. The frame mount has to be replaced (which is also true of a 37-39 box) with a '40 mount, the ignition lock collar has to be relocated and/or eliminated in order for the steering wheel lock to engage.
The steering shaft is hollow so the horn wire will fit, however I don't think the light rod will fit. The 35, 36 column jacket will fit. You also have to use the '40 pitman arm, #21-A 3590.
I installed a '40 steering box in my '36 in 1955, it was like adding power steering.
I used a 40 column jacket because I have a column shift trans, used a '47 steering wheel.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #10
Andy

A vega/525 box will steer with about 25% of the effort required by a 40. I have both and drove them both yesteday. I rigged up a contact with the Vega so the horn button still worked.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #11
Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Is yours in a 35 or later Body? Other than the plate, what other mods did you have to do to get the box in ? Thanks!