Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
skawars1

Default 1929 4dr?

Hey All,
A buddy an I am looking at what we think is 1929 4dr to restore. It's a sure cool car. Runs rough, little rust, bad interior. The seller thinks it's a 29. Not knowing allot about these types of cars are there certain things we should be looking at and what would be a good offer?
Thanks
skawars1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Steve Wastler

Default Re: 1929 4dr?

The fordors have a large amount of wood in the body, can get very expensive, for the kit and if you have to pay someone to install it.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
Hicktick

The main thing I would look at if buying it would be the title.

I am not trying to be a smartass .
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
skawars1

Are titles even available for these cars? And what is a general price for an unrestored one?
Old 08-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
1930artdeco

Yes there are titles and if it doesn't have one, then be VERY carful! Since this is a fordor and runs a bit rough here is kind of what to expect in restoration costs:
wood:$4K
paint: $2-3K
Interior: $2K
engine: $3K

These are numbers I found looking for prices for my car, so you can get a rough idea of what to expect.

Mike
Old 08-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
skawars1

Thanks. What would be a good offer?
Old 08-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
Hicktick

Most cars have titles , check with your state DMV

Tell us where you are and im sure someone will help you from a local club.

As for the value ??? post some pictures of it in detail or get some help from an A club member .
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
skawars1

This is the only pic I have at the moment.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawars1 View Post
Are titles even available for these cars? And what is a general price for an unrestored one?
skawars1,

Couple of things. It would be nice to know at least know your first name. Mr. skawars1 just doesn't have a nice ring to it (did you mother hate you when you were born and actually name you that?). Next it would be nice to know in general where you live. Are you asking about a title in Afghanistan or California? And your second question about the price. It is good to see the picture. It looks a lot better than what I expected. Without looking at it up close about $5000 might be a good price. The devil is in the details. You should contact someone that is familiar with the Model A to look at it. Go to MACFA.com or modelaford.org and find a local club (probably none available in Afghanistan). I would strongly recommend if you are just getting into the hobby that you buy one you can drive. You could very well lose interest in one that is a monumental task. I know that I am not motivated enough to tackle a '28/'29 Fordor with all off its wood. You might find the following web site interesting. I wrote this and Jim Mason was kind enough to post it on his site.

http://jmodela.coffeecup.com/wherestart.html

Best of luck and welcome to the hobby,

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 08-15-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
skawars1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
skawars1,

Couple of things. It would be nice to know at least know your first name. Mr. skawars1 just doesn't have a nice ring to it (did you mother hate you when you were born and actually name you that?). Next it would be nice to know in general where you live. Are you asking about a title in Afghanistan or California? And your second question about the price. You haven't even posted a picture. It is very possible that free might be too much, or a couple of thousand reasonable. I would strongly recommend if you are just getting into the hobby that you buy one you can drive. You could very well lose interest in one that is a monumental task. I know that I am not motivated enough to tackle a '28/'29 Fordor with all off its wood. You might find the following web site interesting. I wrote this and Jim Mason was kind enough to post it on his site.

http://jmodela.coffeecup.com/wherestart.html

Best of luck and welcome to the hobby,

Charlie Stephens
My name is Brent. As this is the web I normally do not give out my real name. Anonymity and web safety are wonderful things. I should know since I work in IT. I am located in the Chicagland area. That car is downstate and will be sold tomorrow. Last month I sold my 1958 Buick Roadmaster and am looking for a new project. I think this might be it if the price is right.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

From the looks of that picture I'd leave it as is and drive it. That looks like good paint and what little I can see of the inside I don't see the headliner hanging down. Depending on the wood condition I'd say $5,000 might be a good buy.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
Terry, NJ

Are you sure it's a 29? Some things I se in the picture suggest to me that it's 30/31. I wish I could see the radiator. That's the ndefining thing for me, but The wheel look as though they're 19", not 21". The 30/31 are 19". Another thing, are there holes in the cowl, at the top, where something has been removed? Does it have a dome light in roughly the center of the cart or is the light in the back, over the window. Is there a folding arm rest between the two passengers in the rear seat? These are defining characteristics of models. Judging by what I can see it looks like it might bbe a $5000 car. Good luck!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawars1 View Post
My name is Brent. As this is the web I normally do not give out my real name. Anonymity and web safety are wonderful things. I should know since I work in IT. I am located in the Chicagland area. That car is downstate and will be sold tomorrow. Last month I sold my 1958 Buick Roadmaster and am looking for a new project. I think this might be it if the price is right.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
ronn

I bought one like it last year here on the barn- it ran perfect and the interior was nice original
bought it for 4000. It was for sale here for almost 2 months with no bites....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Are you sure it's a 29? Some things I se in the picture suggest to me that it's 30/31. I wish I could see the radiator. That's the ndefining thing for me, but The wheel look as though they're 19", not 21". The 30/31 are 19". Another thing, are there holes in the cowl, at the top, where something has been removed? Does it have a dome light in roughly the center of the cart or is the light in the back, over the window. Is there a folding arm rest between the two passengers in the rear seat? These are defining characteristics of models. Judging by what I can see it looks like it might bbe a $5000 car. Good luck!
Terry
Terry, What picture are you looking at ?? 100 % a 1929 including the wheels..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Terry
Everything looks 29 to me except the later headlamps. Small hubcaps on 21" wheels and the front fenders hug the wheels, where the 30-1 fenders drop down much more gradually.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
Semper Fi

I blew the picture up to 400% and it does not have a 28/29 cowl. I agree the wheels look to be 21 inch , but that cowl goes straight down like a 30/31.

Ernie
Semper Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #17
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
I blew the picture up to 400% and it does not have a 28/29 cowl. I agree the wheels look to be 21 inch , but that cowl goes straight down like a 30/31.

Ernie
Yep, Briggs and Murray built bodies are like that. Ford built bodies in 28 and 29 had that neat antique looking offset, including the 4 door taxi.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #18
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post

Ernie
You need to read up on the cowls that some (all?) of the 4 doors had. I know where you are coming from since that is not the usual '28-'29 cowl found on most body styles but that cowl is correct.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 08-15-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #19
WTSHNN

The Taxi Cab was the only enclosed four door Model A with what is commonly refered to as the "Coupe Pillar."

(Image linked from gwcmodela.org)

The car that Brent is talking about is not a '30 or '31.

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #20
Charlie Stephens

Brent,

Now that I have your location I know that I can't help on the title question. Hopefully someone in the same state you are in will answer. My suggestion would be to contact your state motor vehicle department. In most states cars without a title are a real mess and the purchase price is usually reduced accordingly. Usually if the person just lost the title and it was registered in their name they can easily request a duplicate title.

Charlie Stephens