Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-02-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
tomcarman

Default Wa State, Nice & Legal

To some this may be a routine transaction, for me it was a new process so thought I'd share with my fellow Washingtonians. Last October I bought a '47 Chrysler for $3000. The car was in Clarkston Idaho with an Idaho title, not a quick trip. I got a bill of sale with the title. My intention was to get a "Forever" collector plate, but in Wa State there is a privision for an "Original Year, Restored" plate for more or less the same fee. I don't like the State issued plate (see attached) so I kept looking on EBay and found a cool # original '47 plate for $5. Today I registered it. Here is a breakdown of the costs, All In:

Title transfer and assiciated fees = $303.00
Ebay plate & shipping to me = $12.88
Shipping of plate to restorer = $7.88
Plate Restoration = $92.00
Collector plate registration = 103.25
Total =519.01
That breaks down to 17.3% of the price paid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200502_130925_resized.jpg (68.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 20191120_183707_resized_1.jpg (66.1 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 20200428_101506_resized.jpg (77.4 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 20200502_115129_resized.jpg (21.8 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 20200502_125622_resized.jpg (25.8 KB, 120 views)
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
5851a

Default Re: Wa State, Nice & Legal

Emergency medical services? Did you faint when they gave you the total?
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #3
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
Emergency medical services? Did you faint when they gave you the total?
It is what it is. Not complaining, just thought I'd share the true cost of registering a collector car in this State.
As an aside, the licensing office was bogged down with 3 people occupying the 3 clerks. All 3 people had some sort of a problem with their paperwork not being in order, particularly the 1 guy trying to get title to a boat that he bought in Montana over a year ago and subsequently got a ticket for having no registration or title in navigable waters on the Columbia River. After considerable wait the rest of us with a simple transaction were complete in minutes. Moral of the story? Get your paperwork in order. Sheesh!
Old 05-02-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
RKS.PA

Tom, you can't put a price on "must haves"!! Looks like the collector plate restoration and WA's cost to register with it, is about 42% of the total. The big item ($303) you would have had anyway with the standard forever antique car plate.

I had one of those WA plates on my '39 when I lived there. The forever plate is a sweet deal. Here in AZ, we have to renew each year. Seems to vary based on the age of the car, but in general, it's about a hundred bucks.

The states get their money one way or the other!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:21 PM   #5
Hal Beatty

There was a proposal in the legislature to make us renew the Collector Vehicle plates periodically; for a fee of course. Don't know if it became part of the code or not...
Hal Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:28 PM   #6
robib

The use tax is is really a sales tax. Just like any other purchase you might make.
robib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:29 PM   #7
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Beatty View Post
There was a proposal in the legislature to make us renew the Collector Vehicle plates periodically; for a fee of course. Don't know if it became part of the code or not...
That was House Bill 2373. It stalled in Committee. I expect it to return.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #8
TJ

California is worse. I think they will soon start charging admission to the DMV office!
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:31 PM   #9
Sparky79

Just think if you lived in lower New York they would charge you a commuter tax for use of the trains to get to the city. That one kills me when I register the motorcycle.
Sparky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:34 PM   #10
tomcarman

Thumbs up Re: Wa State, Nice & Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
California is worse. I think they will soon start charging admission to the DMV office!
Good one! All States are different. Nonetheless, associated costs (license, insurance, parts and such) need to be recognized and budgeted for, especially in this hobby. I've never had any trouble with the law, (never even had a traffic ticket) and intend to keep it that way. If you wanna dance, ya gotta pay the band.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:35 PM   #11
nelsb01

Come to Minnesota -- you can have snow and cold and you can only drive the collector car 4 months out of the year.........well, not really, but someone would comment about it.

So, the title transfer and associated fees are about the same, but....collector plates or Minnesota year of manufacture plates in good condition and the number not already in use will cost you $99. Yup, $99 and then you can drive those 4 months forever. No renewal............yet.
Here are the ones that are going on my 1936 (the picture shows them before to the left and restored to the right)

By the way -- the guy in Michigan did them and they are right on and the service was fast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1936 MN License Plates.jpg (76.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 1936 MN License Plate restored (2).jpg (40.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by nelsb01; 05-02-2020 at 07:49 PM. Reason: adding second picture
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:59 PM   #12
tomcarman

[QUOTE=nelsb01;1882657]

So, the title transfer and associated fees are about the same, but....collector plates or Minnesota year of manufacture plates in good condition and the number not already in use will cost you $99. Yup, $99 and then you can drive those 4 months forever. No renewal............yet.

Nice plates! I just didn't like the State issued plates for a collector car so I found mine on my own. Like you I made my hopefully onetime investment and I'm done. The cost in MN is quite similar to WA. In Western WA we have about 3 weeks of good weather a year, and not all at once. Unless you have a submarine be prepared to get wet from rain. Ha! just kidding, it only rains 9 months out of the year.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:30 PM   #13
KGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsb01 View Post
Come to Minnesota -- you can have snow and cold and you can only drive the collector car 4 months out of the year.........well, not really, but someone would comment about it...

By the way -- the guy in Michigan did them and they are right on and the service was fast.
Bruce, Who is "the guy in Michigan"?
Ken
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:43 PM   #14
50fordcoupeman

Oregon is about the same. Cost was about $100 to register the Ford with year of manufacture plate. Take the plate number to the DMV to get it verified that the plate number is not in use. Only one is needed here. The plate is good forever. The cost of the plate is between you and the seller of course.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:17 PM   #15
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
It is what it is. Not complaining, just thought I'd share the true cost of registering a collector car in this State.
As an aside, the licensing office was bogged down with 3 people occupying the 3 clerks. All 3 people had some sort of a problem with their paperwork not being in order, particularly the 1 guy trying to get title to a boat that he bought in Montana over a year ago and subsequently got a ticket for having no registration or title in navigable waters on the Columbia River. After considerable wait the rest of us with a simple transaction were complete in minutes. Moral of the story? Get your paperwork in order. Sheesh!
OK, so the nagging question here is who gave him the ticket on the Columbia? Since it forms the Washington/Oregon border, he must have been closer to one side than the other.... Of course this could have occured up river a bit. BTW, love those bare aluminum one year issue 47 Wa plates. I have 3 sets in use and a pair or two for backup.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:21 PM   #16
nelsb01

Ken;

Duane Wells of Lansing MI
He places an add in the V-8 TIMES.
He has access ot all states plates and colors.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:22 PM   #17
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
OK, so the nagging question here is who gave him the ticket on the Columbia? Since it forms the Washington/Oregon border, he must have been closer to one side than the other.... Of course this could have occured up river a bit. BTW, love those bare aluminum one year issue 47 Wa plates. I have 3 sets in use and a pair or two for backup.
When I worked as a Park Ranger on the Colorado River, Law Enforcement Officers from either state along the river had jurisdiction regardless of where you where as long as you were in the water. Step on shore and you were under the laws of that state.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:23 PM   #18
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
To some this may be a routine transaction, for me it was a new process so thought I'd share with my fellow Washingtonians. Last October I bought a '47 Chrysler for $3000. The car was in Clarkston Idaho with an Idaho title, not a quick trip. I got a bill of sale with the title. My intention was to get a "Forever" collector plate, but in Wa State there is a privision for an "Original Year, Restored" plate for more or less the same fee. I don't like the State issued plate (see attached) so I kept looking on EBay and found a cool # original '47 plate for $5. Today I registered it. Here is a breakdown of the costs, All In:

Title transfer and assiciated fees = $303.00
Ebay plate & shipping to me = $12.88
Shipping of plate to restorer = $7.88
Plate Restoration = $92.00
Collector plate registration = 103.25
Total =519.01
That breaks down to 17.3% of the price paid.

For everything else their is Master Card!
Old 05-02-2020, 09:49 PM   #19
tomcarman

Quote:
Gary, from what I overheard him say he was on the mouth of a tributary, considered navigable waters by USCG at the Columbia. It was WA DFW. I heard him give his address as right down the road from GrandMound where the license office is. He was likely fishing for salmon and got caught. Maybe on the Cowlitz? IDK. He was trying to present his case to the license clerk who had to recite and quote about every WAC and RCW to try and help him transfer his boat title that he bought over a year ago in Montana. He lost AND wasted those of us in line time. Mind you I have had numerous dealings with that office and the people there are most helpful, but they won't bend the law. If he had taken care of his paperwork when he bought it he wouldn't have been in there in the 1st place. The other 2 people also had similar problems holding up the show for us all. To my mind all of them were trying to beat the system and in all 3 cases somehow it was the States fault. Whoey! I had my S**t together and was done in probably 3 minutes. Yes, the bare aluminum plates were unique to '47. My restored one was actually painted silver to simulate bare metal, but they accepted it.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:29 PM   #20
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
When I worked as a Park Ranger on the Colorado River, Law Enforcement Officers from either state along the river had jurisdiction regardless of where you where as long as you were in the water. Step on shore and you were under the laws of that state.
I'm not in Law enforcement but I know people who are. Park Rangers as well as Wildlife Rangers have full enforcement powers I'm told. Though this thread has become a bit off topic in terms of registering your vehicle, the point I originally wanted to make is get it legal. If not it can cost you dearly in the end. The law doesn't sleep.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #21
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky79 View Post
Just think if you lived in lower New York they would charge you a commuter tax for use of the trains to get to the city. That one kills me when I register the motorcycle.
That's a good one. They want you to use mass transit and then tax you for using it! With government that makes perfect sense.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:28 AM   #22
TJ

Delete..
Old 05-03-2020, 04:04 PM   #23
tubman

Quote:
That's a good one. They want you to use mass transit and then tax you for using it! With government that makes perfect sense.
Actually, it sounds to me that they are taxing you NOT to use it.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:33 PM   #24
cas3

mr nelsb01, it seems you have not done an old car registration for a few years. minnesota was for many, many years about 90 bucks plus a few fees. about 5 years ago the basic cost went from 90 to 150, then the fees with the extra "internet" fee brings you to about 250 by the time you are done. the internet fee is because the state spent 10 million on a new system to upgrade our whole license dept, that was a huge failure. two years of confusion until they finally agreed the new system was a failure, and to fix it they raised the cost of plates instead of suing the company that wrote the program. a couple weeks ago, our Governor was showing videos of himself following the stay at home order when infact he was meeting in Las Vegas with california lawmakers to study they're vehicle emission testing procedures. about 25 years ago they spent millions to build testing stations here, then dropped the program after about 3 years later. i'm sure its coming back , and plates will go up to pay for it
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:45 PM   #25
Sparky79

The idea is to tax you not to use it but on a 40 mpg bike I think I get better mileage than a train. But anyways it's a crazy system nationwide government wants their money. At least the feds havent taken it over.
Sparky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:22 PM   #26
nelsb01

cas3:
Ah yes -- that was back then. But I originally registered the vehicle with Collector Plates....so long ago, I have number 600 079. That was the 79th person in line, back then. When going in to change to year of manufacture MN plates like I just did, the final cost was...............$23.50.
You would have thought......that the powers that be could have stolen Wisconsin's vehicle registration program............but you and I are here, in the state where we had a wrestler as a governor.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:51 PM   #27
cas3

the wrestler was the best thing that ever happened here, he just talked too much. any time you can get someone who is not a career politician, you might have a chance that they work for you, and not the party's goals
Old 05-03-2020, 11:59 PM   #28
tomcarman

[QUOTE=nelsb01;1883209]cas3:
When going in to change to year of manufacture MN plates like I just did, the final cost was...............$23.50.
You would have thought......that the powers that be could have stolen Wisconsin's vehicle registration program

i applaud you for registering YOM plates. Regarding the other issue? SSSHHH! This thread wasn't intended to elicit political commentary, however given the nature of legality take the plate and run. Things can change despite buying your "Forever" collector plate in good faith.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:02 AM   #29
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
the wrestler was the best thing that ever happened here, he just talked too much. any time you can get someone who is not a career politician, you might have a chance that they work for you, and not the party's goals

One of the best things Jessie did was to flat fee registration. (Not saying Jessie was great overall. Got a bit out there after. Deep state weird, moved to mexico.)

He did do a 35$ fee no matter the vehicle on registration/tag. Florida does this. That's gone. Now it's based on vehicle value. Buy a new car, get hit with a 500$ tag registration. Not a fan.

Have some YOM I need to get on the books.

Jessie was a Minnesota's way of saying anyone can be Governor. He did okay I guess. He had merch. haha

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jessie.jpg (42.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Tinker; 05-04-2020 at 12:12 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:03 AM   #30
cas3

i agree, for the price and the life time plate (we hope) its still a good deal. i'll shut up now
Old 05-04-2020, 12:13 AM   #31
Tinker

You should not shut up. All good it's just opinion and we talking on here. Old cars in mn are about 44$ a yr with a 2$ processing fee if done over the web with a credit card.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-04-2020 at 12:19 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:43 AM   #32
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
One of the best things Jessie did was to flat fee registration.

He did do a 35$ fee no matter the vehicle on registration/tag. Florida does this. That's gone. Now it's based on vehicle value.

Similar in WA State. Voter approved majority statewide for $30 tabs last election. Denied by a judge. Now going to the State Supreme Court. Controversial vehicle valuation. When I went to transfer the title on my Chrysler, despite having a bill of sale for $3000 from the seller she looked up current law re value. One of the many sources is Haggerty. Value for a '47 Chrysler Windsor 4 door was $16,500. Yea, maybe fully restored. By coincidence there was one advertised locally on CL for $3500 which she also looked up. The State also uses Hemmings for valuation as well as NADA and who knows else. She accepted my $3000 BOS. (I think she liked me HAHA). I also had cellphone pics showing the condition. They don't bend the law but as I posted earlier, get your paperwork in order and get nice and legal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191012_182209.jpg (62.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #33
Kube

Quote:
They do that in Wisconsin. It's termed a "counter fee".
If you choose to go directly to the DMV office and sit there for God only knows how long, you are charged a counter fee of $3. Yep, so not only do you pay taxes to keep these places operating, wait seemingly forever to get waited on, have a 50/50 chance of everything going correctly, you get to pay for that golden opportunity & experience.

The last time I was there, I had three titles to register. I got about a mile away when I looked at the paperwork and noted one title was in someone else's name and address.
I immediately went back for another golden opportunity... I got to wait nearly an hour (twice the same day) and was actually told "oh yeah, that guy makes lots of mistakes".
Old 05-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #34
rockfla

Glad to know Florida is not the only State that allows us to pay 3 times (or more) for something and take 6 visits to do it. FIRST here in Florida you cannot use a "Restored" tag...it has to be "original" paint or "NO Dice"!! SECOND......any sale of a "used" vehicle I use the "EVEN TRADE" route. I sold my 2001 Yukon to my machinist for "Labor & Parts" for an antique car - EVEN TRADE so NO Sales taxes involved!!!!! Just tag and title transfer fee's.
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:52 AM   #35
38coop

I tried to register a 1949 Fla tag for my 49 Ford car and they turned it down because the vehicle weight was not on the title.
38coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #36
38coop

I should have added that they had no problem letting me register a Fla antique tag for the same car.
38coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 12:30 PM   #37
woodiewagon46

rockfla, as I stated in my original post, New York DMV law is the same as Florida, by using unrestored plates only. The 1932 plates on my friends car were rusty and just about unreadable, but were approved by the state. A nicely restored plate with the exact colors for the year of manufacture, and legible numbers, will be denied by the state DMV. Makes no sense.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 01:20 PM   #38
ssffnomad

Yep. In NY, I have heard of guys wetting restored plates with water, throwing a hand full of light brown dirt on them. Take a picture, send it off and get registered to use restored plates.
Never witnessed myself 🤓
Stretch
ssffnomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 02:53 PM   #39
Zax40

Wow, collector or historical plate registration is free in GA. You just pay for your standard tag and registration and fill out a form and bring the tag in and they will associate it to your registration. The tag on my '40 has a bullet hole and they didn't complain, they just thought it was funny.
Zax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 04:04 PM   #40
richard crow

they keep screwing US & the people keep reelecting them.
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 04:29 PM   #41
jimvette59

I hear Ohio is very difficult . No YOM plates I herd they do not recognize a NY Registration.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 05:50 PM   #42
GB SISSON

I just learned that there was no 1946 plates issued in Wa. A 45 was used along with a windshield sticker. It took a bit of searching but I found that Wa will do YOM license using a 1947 plate. I hope this person was right. I got her name and will ask for her at our very small DMV in the auditors office in Friday Harbor, which is on a different island, an hour away. I transfered the title 5 years ago, so that fee is forgotten by me!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 02-14-2022, 06:03 PM   #43
Cleveland39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zax40 View Post
Wow, collector or historical plate registration is free in GA. You just pay for your standard tag and registration and fill out a form and bring the tag in and they will associate it to your registration. The tag on my '40 has a bullet hole and they didn't complain, they just thought it was funny.
Agreed, Zax40. This is my historical plate for my '39 Sedan. $20 for the current tag registration and no ad valorem tax due to age of car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Historical tag.JPG (303.4 KB, 5 views)
Cleveland39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:15 PM   #44
5851a

Iowa They keep changing the rules and it's hard to have all your ducks in a row sometimes. My local County office has gotten a lot better over the years. I did see YOM on the Iowa site but couldn't follow the trail into the dark side of government departments. Basically here nothing under $50 unless you owned since God laid the egg and you kept it current. Just example, Wifes car has In God we trust on the plate, cost extra $50 plus extra $5 every year. After several years we are told we have to get a new plate, in the mail no less, comes a regular plate. Go to the courthouse and ask what's up with regular plate? Have to buy new In God we trust for another $55 plus of course the regular fees. This round of plates in Iowa are so hideous that the hired designer left in tears, and the state quickly issued a flat black with white lettering for an extra $50. Sorry for the rant.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:40 PM   #45
johnboy34

Quote:
I just learned that there was no 1946 plates issued in Wa. A 45 was used along with a windshield sticker. It took a bit of searching but I found that Wa will do YOM license using a 1947 plate. I hope this person was right. I got her name and will ask for her at our very small DMV in the auditors office in Friday Harbor, which is on a different island, an hour away. I transfered the title 5 years ago, so that fee is forgotten by me!
None for passenger cars, could get them for trucks. pretty spendy today.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39394098935...sAAOSwlnNiDZDi
johnboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 04:37 PM   #46
Lawson Cox

The law doesn't sleep. Right. Only the Judges do that. LOL

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 02:18 AM   #47
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy34 View Post
None for passenger cars, could get them for trucks. pretty spendy today.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39394098935...sAAOSwlnNiDZDi
Holy Crap, more than I paid for the engineless, bedless truck!
They assured me I could use a 47 car plate, but I'm gonna send them a pic of this plate to the email address she gave me, before I take a day off and a ferry ticket to the county seat.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:08 PM   #48
B-O-B

Ha when I lived in Ore I only had to pay $45.00 ea (one time fee)to register the forever plates on my 34 & 32. I am still running the 34 with the Ore plates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008 031 (2).jpg (47.8 KB, 12 views)
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:26 AM   #49
GB SISSON

Well here I am at 10:20 on the eve of goint to Anacortes on the very early morning ferry. Alarm set for 4:35 am....I have a cardiologist appt there. They have a DMV there I have used many times in the past. I called them today and said I was bringing my title to a 46 PU and wanted to be sure a 47 plate was correct. I bought one based on the gal in Friday Harbor's conversation. NO, they say in Anacortes it has to be a 1945.... seriously? So I go to ebay and buy one for 59 bucks or so hoping I can pick it up in person tomorrow. Ebay seller calls me and says I will need a 46 truck plate for umteen big bucks... How on earth do I ever really know? Each DMV interprets it how they see it. At this point I guess I will bring the 47 I bought specifically for this purpose and try my best. Both places say there were no 46 plates made but the license plate man says they Did make them for truck$. And yes they did. I will be over there tomorrow and anybody that can shed some light I would be happy to hear. My cell is three six 0, three one seven, eight zero five one. Thanks, GB
Old 06-09-2022, 01:46 AM   #50
tomcarman

Quote:
Well here I am at 10:20 on the eve of goint to Anacortes on the very early morning ferry. Alarm set for 4:35 am....I have a cardiologist appt there. They have a DMV there I have used many times in the past. I called them today and said I was bringing my title to a 46 PU and wanted to be sure a 47 plate was correct. I bought one based on the gal in Friday Harbor's conversation. NO, they say in Anacortes it has to be a 1945.... seriously? So I go to ebay and buy one for 59 bucks or so hoping I can pick it up in person tomorrow. Ebay seller calls me and says I will need a 46 truck plate for umteen big bucks... How on earth do I ever really know? Each DMV interprets it how they see it. At this point I guess I will bring the 47 I bought specifically for this purpose and try my best. Both places say there were no 46 plates made but the license plate man says they Did make them for truck$. And yes they did. I will be over there tomorrow and anybody that can shed some light I would be happy to hear. My cell is three six 0, three one seven, eight zero five one. Thanks, GB
Gary,
If it doesn't work let me know via PM. Just woke up after nodding off in the recliner and saw your post. I have a personal friend who owns as DMV licensing agency in Chehalis and she'll definitely give you the straight dirt. I'll get in touch with her tomorrow.
Tom
Old 06-09-2022, 09:42 PM   #51
tomcarman

Gary,
Curious how the YOM plate went. My friend who owns the DMV licensing office said if you have clear title a '47 plate will work on a '46. Not sure about the truck thing unless ebay guy is splitting hairs or looking to cash in?
Old 06-09-2022, 10:03 PM   #52
GB SISSON

I have dealt with same gal in Anacortes for 20 years. She told me today I really need a '45 car plate and the '46 truck plate would of course work and it would look cool on the truck but not 330 bucks cooler. Turns out the ebay seller had mailed the '45 car plate this morning so all is good. I don't think he was pushing for a sale, it really was a cool low number unrestored plate that I would love to have if I was in that league......Best part is I still got to license my '46 tonner but with a hideous 'collector vehicle' plate which will come in the mail in July so they gave me a paper temporary 'plate' and when I find a '45 car plate I can swap it over for a small fee. Sooo, I guess I won't ever have to hang the Washington collector plate which is light blue and white with a silouette of Mt Ranier and the digits aren't even stamped, just printed on. Ick. Yay Happy ending.
Old 06-09-2022, 10:20 PM   #53
tomcarman

Interesting break down of events. You're right in interpretation of laws by varying DMV offices. My friend would have licensed your truck with a '47 plate, providing it was an original YOM plate that had been restored per WA state regs(blah blah blah) as I had done with my '47 Chrysler. I agree the collector plates are butt ugly on a patina vehicle but on the other hand a restored YOM plate on a cherried out classic looks equally out of place. I suppose yuz takes what yuz gets and move on. Glad you're legal now.
Tom
Old 06-09-2022, 10:36 PM   #54
expavr

Quote:
Gary
You make reference to DMV. Here in Kitsap County the only licensing done by the state of WA is Driver’s Licenses. Registration, titles, etc is done by a private company acting on behalf of the state. My experience licensing my collector cars as well as annual renewals for the daily drivers has been a pleasure compared to that in CA. When I licensed the Tonner using a 1940 YOM plate the only thing that they checked was to see if it was a “clean” plate. No other questions asked.
Les Williams
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:09 PM   #55
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post
Gary
You make reference to DMV. Here in Kitsap County the only licensing done by the state of WA is Driver’s Licenses. Registration, titles, etc is done by a private company acting on behalf of the state. My experience licensing my collector cars as well as annual renewals for the daily drivers has been a pleasure compared to that in CA. When I licensed the Tonner using a 1940 YOM plate the only thing that they checked was to see if it was a “clean” plate. No other questions asked.
Les Williams
Les,
You are absolutely correct. Drivers Licenses are administered by the State but titles, registration and such are done by contracted companies such as my friend who owns one. The part I don't get is they want a '45 plate to license a '46 when it has been my understanding that US auto production didn't resume until '46. Maybe I'm ignorant on that? I also feel comfortable driving knowing I'm legal as likely like you I live in a rural area where Laws are still enforced. Off topic but a bit related no one's doing much driving around here as yet again the rainstorms continue. Sure hope some of that global warming kicks in soon! LOL!
Old 06-10-2022, 10:47 AM   #56
Pech33

You should have gotten a phony “bill of sale” for $500. You paid about 10% sales tax on $3,000. You could have saved $250. Our governor is quick to tax and spend. We have no “rainy day fund”. They had several billion $ extra this year from “free Covid $”, they spent it all. Don’t be surprised if they make us pay yearly fees in the future, they need money for free needles! The governor is a moron.
Pech33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 11:09 AM   #57
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pech33 View Post
You should have gotten a phony “bill of sale” for $500. You paid about 10% sales tax on $3,000. You could have saved $250. Our governor is quick to tax and spend. We have no “rainy day fund”. They had several billion $ extra this year from “free Covid $”, they spent it all. Don’t be surprised if they make us pay yearly fees in the future, they need money for free needles! The governor is a moron.
Whoa! Dangerous legal advice and political commentary in the same post? Be Careful!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 02:40 PM   #58
Doublepumper

I have a YOM Washington plate on my '46 pickup. It's my understanding, Washington only issued a single plate for trucks in '46 and cars got a window sticker.
Oregon only issued a single plate for both cars and trucks in '46.
The '46 Washington truck plates are scarce...and spendy when you find one. There may be one available from the restorer that did mine...The Old License Farm.
https://oldlicensefarm.com/
Old 06-10-2022, 05:58 PM   #59
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublepumper View Post
I have a YOM Washington plate on my '46 pickup. It's my understanding, Washington only issued a single plate for trucks in '46 and cars got a window sticker.
Oregon only issued a single plate for both cars and trucks in '46.
The '46 Washington truck plates are scarce...and spendy when you find one. There may be one available from the restorer that did mine...The Old License Farm.
https://oldlicensefarm.com/
Yes, I priced a very nice '46 truck plate, but at 400.00 and my licensing agent says the 59.00 '45 car plate works, I'm going that route. Keep in mind I'm the cheapskate that hones my kingpins with my wife's wooden spoon, slotted to accept a strip of discarded sanding belt. While I'm a Washington native, I was raised by a couple of New England Yankees who taught me their old motto... 'Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or do without'.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:10 PM   #60
bobH

Quote:
...... raised by a couple of New England Yankees who taught me their old motto... 'Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or do without'.
Amen. I'm still in what is apparently the past.... Plates found in old antique shops, for 25 or 35 bucks, are more my style. And, I sure as heck don't have them restored. Run 'em with bullet holes & rust, if necessary.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:36 PM   #61
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
Amen. I'm still in what is apparently the past.... Plates found in old antique shops, for 25 or 35 bucks, are more my style. And, I sure as heck don't have them restored. Run 'em with bullet holes & rust, if necessary.
Or add bullet holes where needed.....If I sold license plates I'd definately charge extra for bullet holes.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:11 PM   #62
tomcarman

For those of us in WA State. Here's the official requirements. Somewhere I remember that YOM plates needed to be restored by an established and licensed restorer, I don't remember but the plate I bought for my '47 Chrysler for $5 needed to be restored anyway.
It is registered to that car permanently with no renewal fee. Keep in mind there was a bill on the floor last year that ultimately failed even though one bought and registered their vehicle in good faith under those terms set by the Government. There were those in the legislature that wanted to renege on that agreement to require an additional fee so collector cars would be required to re-register every (x) amount of time (I don't recall) and pay an additional fee. I would not be surprised if that bill were to return in some other form in future legislative sessions.
Addendum: It is not my intention to introduce politics into this thread but merely to state the facts.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.18.220

Last edited by tomcarman; 06-10-2022 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Addendum
Old 06-10-2022, 08:51 PM   #63
GB SISSON

Well, that was fast! My plate arrived in today's mail. One thing for sure, it looks the part! Like it was meant for the truck.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45 plate 1.jpg (148.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 45 plate 3.jpg (123.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 06-10-2022, 08:54 PM   #64
tomcarman

Quote:
Well, that was fast! My plate arrived in today's mail. One thing for sure, it looks the part! Like it was meant for the truck.....
Now that looks nice! Perfect rather than that State issued collector plate on a vehicle such as yours.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:33 AM   #65
deuce lover

Is that a Model "T" tail light?
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:29 PM   #66
GB SISSON

Yes, model T it is! I used them for turn signals on the rear of my home built woodie wagon. Got them from Snyders. I really liked them so I used them on my next two builds. Simple design, no muss, no fuss....