Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2019, 09:47 PM   #1
JoeCB

Default Leaking carb float needle

Hello all, I read much discussion about the best float needle, ball type vs the viton tipped. Seems like the viton needle is best for stopping a persistent drip. However is there any reports of the soft tipped needle sticking closed? On small engine applications there is usually a "hair clip" attaching the needle to the float to pull it out of it's seat if stuck. …. just asking

Joe B
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:19 AM   #2
mike657894

Default Re: Leaking carb float needle

I just bought and installed a viton tipped and its still leaking not as bad as the gosen ball valve or the steel on brass. In a small engine it may only have a quart of gas. the model A gravity of multiple gallons should push it open. I wouldn't worry about it until you start your car and it runs out of gas in 30 seconds. And I wouldn't drive my car with out a few tools under the seat. all you need to take the carb off is a 1/2 inch wrench and a standard screwdriver. a little tap would probably free it first. you will run into enough problems with your 90 year old car. don't dream up new ones.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:45 AM   #3
mike657894

its probably just my bad luck. I cant order from macs without something in my order being a junk part. poor machining on the seating surface appears to be the reason for the leak. with my old needle and seat and the gosen ball valve, I had a steady trickle of gas coming out of the carb. With this poorly machined seat and viton needle it is a light wicking off fuel wetting the outside of the carb so im running it. I took these pictures to send to macs and make a complaint. Its hard to see but on the inner seating surface there is a chamfer that is just slightly off center. I test these parts before install by putting it in my mouth and sucking to cause vacuum and sticking my tongue to it. if you have a good seal it will stay put if not it drops off your tongue. I made the mistake of throwing out the steel on brass with that I could have lapped it in. This is a part that has ford officially licensed product on the package
Old 07-02-2019, 03:29 AM   #4
johnbuckley

Yes I've had 2 Viton tipped ones sticking closed. ( out of a batch of about 20)
I don't trust any float valve needle now unless I've tested it!
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
mike657894

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
Yes I've had 2 Viton tipped ones sticking closed. ( out of a batch of about 20)
I don't trust any float valve needle now unless I've tested it!

I'll stand corrected. Do you know why they were sticking? rubber sticking to seat or too tight of tolerance between ridges and tube? I am sorry JoeCB for thinking that this was a non problem.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #6
30 Closed Cab PU

Some insist that one of teh advantages of Marvel Mystery Oil added to the gas helps Viton tips stay pliable, lubricated, not to stick, and not leak. Reasoning is ethanol gas dries out/attacts the tip.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:00 PM   #7
jpcouture

I had sticking problems with a Grose jet ball valve, then alcohol gas turned a Viton tip into mush. Little Dearborn, my parts dealer in Minnesota, had a box with a few NOS needle/seat pairs. Simple change, no more problems. The old parts can be found.

I have heard of many repros that need additional machining or polishing to get a good seal. More work, but still possible. Unfortunate that Ford is only concerned about the licensing, not the part quality.
jpcouture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #8
JD 1931

I use the original type float valve for the Zenith, new one's still available. I reseat them and make sure they are clean using compressed air....
JD 1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #9
wmws
BANNED

I had a Vinton tip that leaked badly. I took it out and inspected where it contacts the float. There was a very tiny mark there that didn't look as though it would have any effect. I smoothed it out anyway with fine sand paper put it back together and now the car can sit for days with no leak at the carburetor. I can't believe the effect that little bit of sanding had.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:24 AM   #10
mike657894

update on my leaking viton tip needle and seat. I had contacted macs about the bad part. they have reviewed photos and are shipping out a new tech inspected part.