Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Mikeinnj

Default Model A Ford Storage

Does anyone have photos of a storage shed they built for storing a Model A Ford? I don't want to build a full size garage, just large enough to be able to have a few feet in front and the rear and sides of the car. If you could post inside dimensions I would appreciate it.
Thanks, Mike
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Default Re: Model A Ford Storage

My Model A used to live in 10'X22' shed which gave room to allow the doors to open on one side and enough room to walk around in front to work on the engine. My
car was a coupe. You didn't mention whether or not your shed space need was for your sedan in your Avatar picture or another vehicle.

Jack
Old 08-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
CarlG

That kind of storage here is usually just an enclosed trailer or a Conex container, typically 8 ft or so wide by however long.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Mikeinnj

Yes Carl, I would love to uae a container but it would not allow much room to open doors or work on the car a 2 door sedan, and variances prohibit such structures here. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Here's how a guy in our club stored his Tudor. For rain and snow you could hang tarps on the sides.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
jr-41ford

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Costco has some really nice storage units, online, a person can buy and erect. They look really nice and freight is included.

www.costco.com

Just looked at the Costco website, looks like they are out of the two larger ones. It doesn't say whether they will have them again or not.

A friend of mine bought one a couple of years ago, because he couldn't put up a permanent shop.

Last edited by jr-41ford; 08-23-2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Additional info
jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:48 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

I bought a Menards shelter 12' x 20' for about $900, but then I bought additional panels to enclose the sides, and I raised it all a foot by placing it on 2 x 12 green treat boards. I used 3/8" aluminum bubble foil to insulate the inside to keep condensation from forming and dripping on the car. The foil does a much better job than I could have imagined; no drips and the temp stays very moderate compared to the outside temp. I used carpet tape to hold the foil in place while I screwed the panels over it. I wanted an antique store front look to it, so I made the end like this. I don't have a finished picture, but I have 4 posts, and need to add the 2 windows. On the inside I layed down plastic over the dirt and covered it with old carpet. Run the plastic up the 2 x 12's so the rain water can't come in. This has worked well for the past two years.

Two other ways to solve the building code problems with putting up permanent structures. One guy makes fish houses that fit an antique car, and a woman in the hotrod club said she made a large "dog house".
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
Barry B./ Ma.

I have a 10x16 garden shed with a 6ft. door on one end and a ramp to drive in on. The floor is built on 2x6 joists with 1" flooring. Perfect for storing a Model A.

P.S. It is off the ground and being a wood structure there is no condensation problems.

Last edited by Barry B./ Ma.; 08-24-2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: added P.S.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
Richard Wilson

I purchased a 12X28 wooden storage building for some of my "extras" at a local storage building/metal car port dealer. It is custom made for storing cars as it has a 10 foot roll-up garage door on one end plus a 4 foot side door and 3 windows. It is prewired for lights and wall plugs. The side walls are 2 foot higher than their normal storage buildings. It is built on 6X6 wood runners and 2X6 floor joists. Two 13 foot Model A's will easily fit nose to tail with plenty of room on the sides for extra storage. They also had a 12X24 wood building that would be perfect for a single Model A and a bunch of parts and or a work bench. The prefabbed garage was cheaper than having a site built building of equal size when I bought mine. Best thing was the free delivery and set-up in my back yard. I like the wood over the metal because of the metal buildings tendency to catch condensation on the inside.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
Kurt in NJ

I am using a converted screened porch, it is 8X12, the car is 12'1", I made the end wall flexible, back the car in till the wall moves. ---the screen was gone, i used cement board for the walls.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
ronn

18x22 carport installed for 1000. fits 2 cars nicely with plenty of extra room-can close in ends later....

only need 6 footings, 3 on each side.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
sconnors

Started out a couple of years ago with just a carport attached to my house. Decided I needed some storage for my old Buick (which I've since sold) so I decided on a limited budget to enclose the carport and make a pseudo garage. I've done a lot of work and though it pales in comparison to some of the garages on here, it's functional and now fits my 1930 Ford Model A pickup, my 1995 Jeep Wrangler, and my 1995 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Nostalgia. Found an old trunk at a flea mark and threw it up on a couple of saw horses that I use for a work bench. Here's some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carport 001.jpg (7.7 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg doors.jpg (5.7 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg Garage 002.jpg (7.4 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg Garage 003.jpg (6.6 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg Garage 004.jpg (7.2 KB, 333 views)
sconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
29restorod

From my experience any storage building,needs to be well insulated. This cuts down on temperature swings,that cause condensation. I have seen many nice cars damaged by storing them in a trailer,or metal truck body. After a two years there was much mildew,and rust.In just one winter of storage,in a metal uninsulated barn,my 27 "T" suffered rusted chrome and bare metal. That never happened in the previous 7 winters in my home garage. My 32 Ford is stored in a shed that is 11' X 15' 6" inside dementions. I still have room to stand and work at a 18" wide work bench on one side,and shelves on the other side. I can still walk around one end of the car.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
Semper Fi

I keep my Harley in a bubble. They make them in car size too. It has a muffin fan with a filter on the one end. It's light and no condensation at all. Collapses for summer storage to a small package.When I take it out in the spring, it's just as clean as when it went in.

Mine is a Harley brand, but here is the company I think makes them for Harley.

Ernie

CarCapsule: The Ultimate Car Cover

www.carcapsule.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CarCapsule_Hotrod.jpg (8.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Semper Fi; 08-24-2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: add picture
Semper Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
Mikeinnj

Thanks to those that responded, I was looking for a shed photos or dimensions for a 1929 2 door sedan. Would appreciate more replys and ideas.