Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2020, 08:36 AM   #1
farmerdick

Default Starting The Flathead

In a couple weeks I will start the flathead for the first time since I heard it run on an engine stand. It ran with original intake and single carb. It now has two Stromburg 97`s rebuilt by uncle max. I will set the points and check on the timing. everything seems to be tight and ready to go. I`ve done single and 4bbl carb adjustments but not sure which carb i should start with or maybe it doesn`t matter. Any other suggestions on this start up I should be thinking about? Thank you.
farmerdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:30 AM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Starting The Flathead

On both of my cars with 2 97s, I leave one carb unchoked and half choke the other. When the temp gauge gets to 150 I unchoke it and mine will idle at that point off fast idle setting and then I can drive it and it will go up to temp. My engines don't run that well until they get to 150 degrees. I know all engines/cam and carb combinations are different.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:38 PM   #3
Talkwrench

Run it hard , drive it with plenty of load and varying speeds. Dont stand back taking videos of it of it idling ! run it in..
Old 07-08-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
farmerdick

Sorry for the late reply, been very busy. Thank you for the tips
farmerdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:58 PM   #5
alanwoodieman

did you sync the two carb?
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:30 PM   #6
Ol' Ron

When Uncle Max rebuilds the the carbs, they work. Don't worry about adjusting them. I set the back carb with a closed throttle and the front alittle open for an idle. I also lile the Banjo fuel fittings. They make a fool proof system for delivering fuel to the carbs, and look nice as well. After you get the engine running, with a fast idel, drive it hard for at least a coupls dizen miles or more. Now you can worry about syncing them (waist of time) depending on the cam set the idle so you can drive it in the city traffic. After a while you might want to install an AF meater fo fine tuning for power and economy
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:13 PM   #7
alanwoodieman

then why use an AF meter if synching is a waste of time?
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:45 AM   #8
Mr 42

My thoughts on syncing carbs is.
If you have a fourcylinder or eight cylinder with weber carbs, syncing is a must, since its like one carb for each cylinder. Think of a MC with four carbs.

If you have a flathead with two carbs one side of the two Stromberg carb gives airfuelmix to four cylinder's. and if one is a bit off its no big deal.

AF meter is more important , since it gives you an idea what airfuelmix the cylinder get from the two carbs, and you don want it to be lean or fat,
Mr 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:33 AM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr 42 View Post
My thoughts on syncing carbs is.
If you have a fourcylinder or eight cylinder with weber carbs, syncing is a must, since its like one carb for each cylinder. Think of a MC with four carbs.

If you have a flathead with two carbs one side of the two Stromberg carb gives airfuelmix to four cylinder's. and if one is a bit off its no big deal.

AF meter is more important , since it gives you an idea what airfuelmix the cylinder get from the two carbs, and you don want it to be lean or fat,
Seems to me this would depend on the manifold being utilized.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:59 AM   #10
Ol' Ron

Back a few hundred years ago, when I first sterted into flatheads I had a 2 duce intake with the gen in the stock place. My friebd said I had to Synk the carbs and he had this littel gaget you put on the carbs . We spent several days trying to SINK them. Couldn't Today I know why, I think, However, this synk is only an idle condition and has very little to do with driving around town or atrip to grandma's.
Gramps
Old 07-10-2020, 01:30 PM   #11
Jack Shaft
BANNED

If you idle off of one carb it's impossible to synchronize them with an air flow meter ( a snail)to synchronize them both have to equally share the idle load.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:23 AM   #12
Ol' Ron

Jack, Yes, I know that. Just think it's simpler this way.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:35 AM   #13
Automotive Stud

What intake manifold are you running? If it has the carburetors set back for generator clearance you'll never be able to sync them with the air flow meter, the rear carburetor will have to be so far open to compensate for being so far back that the idle will be racing.

If you have a manifold where they are spaced evenly apart and you are using direct non progressive linkage then they should both have idle speed screws and they should be tuned so it idles nice and pulls the same amount of air through each carburetor.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #14
Ol' Ron

This thread makes a good point. Not everybody has one of these sync devices but would like to go for a ride. The method I've used for years, is to use a block off -late over one carb on the itake, or two if it's an triple intake Adjust one carb at a time for proper vacuum and then put them together. I still crack the front carb, I never use the street intakes they neer work right and are just for show. I use the compition intakes especially the Offy hi rise, it;'s about an inch higher than the Edelbrock unit. In the old days we had to use an offset gen bracket, but now tey make a short 12v unit the sits in front of the carbs. I;m using this on the roadster engine, with the Holly 94 style 1 1/16 venturis on the street. I have a special track intake,