Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #21
Mike B

Default Re: "50 Merc distributor choices?? Stock, MSD, or Modified Chevy

Kinda back on the subject of ingnitions Can a 221 be converterted to Chevy distributot too?

I've seen some internet articles (not specifically for the 221) that use the 8ba timing cover, machined Chevy distributor, 8ba drive gear....what I cannot seem to find is how to adapt to the cam?
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #22
HOTRODPRIMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Yes , i agree beats me what happened here as well.

I really didn’t know what to think when I first read the post on the quality of our ignition products etc. However I felt compelled to just leave it alone and go on. I have always said email needs brakes so the writer can reread what he or she actually said before sending. I am sure we all have sent something in haste and the next day wished we hadn’t said what we said..

However,
Later in the week I felt otherwise and feel like I should respond to the post.

Our reputation and internet presence is everything to us ! And to see someone question our quality is shocking to say the least. We spend a great deal of time on product quality and would like to think we improve each and every day.
Have we ever had a problem,? Sure we have !! However our company policy is “ fix the customer and fix him now”. After shipping 256 of our flathead conversions I can honestly say we have had only a handful of field problems and to my knowledge they have all been fixed to the customers satisifaction .
We not only do ignition but also recondition electronic fuel injectors and ship hundreds of products each and every week.

I did build Ole Ron a distributor , thru a friend of his ( to the friends specifications) as a gift for his contributions to all of us .

This was done as a gift thru the friend and myself at no-charge what so ever!

I asked ole Ron with a PM for, at the very least a explanation of what he meant by poor quality and have waited a few days for a private reply. As a frequent contributor and tech service for any and all that ask i think i deserved a private reply before the first post. ! I would love the chance to rework the distributor to Ole Rons total satisfaction......send her back with a list and i will write a tech article on each and every function that makes you doubt our quality.

After 19 years of providing automotive service, never have I had anyone question our quality! So in the above post using the word “Ouch” is very fitting.

OK, with this said and done at the very least now I feel better !

If I can ever help anyone just drop me a email. Or use our toll free 888-809-3835 and ask for Bubba.

Signed : Wounded in Speedway.......
I would like to hear how this shakes out,, HRP
Old 05-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #23
Ol' Ron

I've been trying to think of a way to reply to these threads and then I got hit with a misunderstanding about the direction about the barn.
As far ad my comments about Bubbas Distributors, here's what I see with my bad eyesight. I've been working with several people developing the perfect ignition system for our Flathead. Unfortunately this requires some consideration about the intake system and the combustion chambet configuration. I didn't want to get into this much detail, BUT!
I recieved Bubba's distributor and have to admit it looked great. I went to install it in an engine and noticed that the body was machined without a stop to locate the drive gear. Noe I have a lathe and making a stop was easy. GHowever most people dont have Lathes. Jim was informed of this and offered to fix it. SOOooo when I said his quality control was lacking, I wanted you to check out the unit.
As for the actual operation of the distributor, I can't say, I havent checked the advance curve yet.
It's important to note that we need people like Jim, because he fills a need for our hobby, but he needs to make sure he keeps his quality up a stay abrest of continuing research in this area.
Keep em runnin
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #24
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I've been trying to think of a way to reply to these threads and then I got hit with a misunderstanding about the direction about the barn.
As far ad my comments about Bubbas Distributors, here's what I see with my bad eyesight. I've been working with several people developing the perfect ignition system for our Flathead. Unfortunately this requires some consideration about the intake system and the combustion chambet configuration. I didn't want to get into this much detail, BUT!
I recieved Bubba's distributor and have to admit it looked great. I went to install it in an engine and noticed that the body was machined without a stop to locate the drive gear. Noe I have a lathe and making a stop was easy. GHowever most people dont have Lathes. Jim was informed of this and offered to fix it. SOOooo when I said his quality control was lacking, I wanted you to check out the unit.
As for the actual operation of the distributor, I can't say, I havent checked the advance curve yet.
It's important to note that we need people like Jim, because he fills a need for our hobby, but he needs to make sure he keeps his quality up a stay abrest of continuing research in this area.
Keep em runnin
Thanks Ron, i will stay on top the game for sure. No harm done!!!
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #25
richard crow

leave it stock. drove my 51 merk cost to cost twice put over 150,000 miles on it never had a dist proulbem just change the points every 10,000 miles put lub on the lobes why fool around with all that mickey mouse stuff you don,t need spend the money on beer & fishing gear
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #26
Krylon32

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
So far I've used 3 of GMC Bubbas converted Chevy dizzys and have had no problems. Cars started right up and ran great.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #27
Da Tinman

I recommend one of Bubbas sbc converts, hooked to msd 6, simple to the point and last forever. Used msd6 boxes arent very spendy anymore and are damn near bullet proof.

No ballast resistor, no load on the points, hot coil, big gaps, win win win!
Da Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote