Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
Don Cape Cod

Default "41 pickup torque tube help!

Trying to assemble a pile of iron bought as a '41 pickup. Missing stuff, wrong stuff, etc. Biggest problem is identifying what the torque tube should be/have. It was missing radius rods, got a pair via the Barn, correct for '41 but too short and won't fit over axle housing. It's a 112" WB. The Torque tube is 70" long. There is no evidence of it having had a bracket to affix the front handbrake cable and hydraulic fitting. We removed the fitting to mount the front of the radius rods, thinking to reweld to match the length of the short radius rods (99A-4750 now for resale).

So, we need some help from someone with a '41pickup or knowledge of the running gear. Help.....Don
Don Cape Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
jerry grayson

Default Re: "41 pickup torque tube help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cape Cod View Post
Trying to assemble a pile of iron bought as a '41 pickup. Missing stuff, wrong stuff, etc. Biggest problem is identifying what the torque tube should be/have. It was missing radius rods, got a pair via the Barn, correct for '41 but too short and won't fit over axle housing. It's a 112" WB. The Torque tube is 70" long. There is no evidence of it having had a bracket to affix the front handbrake cable and hydraulic fitting. We removed the fitting to mount the front of the radius rods, thinking to reweld to match the length of the short radius rods (99A-4750 now for resale).

So, we need some help from someone with a '41pickup or knowledge of the running gear. Help.....Don
The correct radius rods for your truck should be the same as 39-40 Passenger car. 41 passenger is a different animal.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
55 dude

post some pic's of what you have as pic's always help.
55 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
41ford1

Jerry is correct. '41 pickup running gear is the same as '39 & '40 cars and pickups. Here are a couple o pics of the front radius rod mount on mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03270.JPG (156.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03271.JPG (168.1 KB, 22 views)
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Dennis/Arkansas

Hey Don, 70" is the correct length for your application. There is a bracket held on by the front radius rod bolt (see pic). The brake fitting that splits the brake lines is bolted through the left radius rod, again see pics. Tha hole is located on the top of the rod approximately 7 1/4" back from the front of the rod. The hole should go all the way through the radius rod. If I can be of anymore help, please feel free to ask. Dennis/Arkansas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010006a.jpg (63.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1010007a.jpg (73.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg P1010008a.jpg (54.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg P1010010.jpg (51.0 KB, 10 views)
Dennis/Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
G.M.

I did a Columbia for a friend that was a bunch of parts. This was for a 46 and it turned out the radius rods were for a 41. They were to long or short, I don't remember, bolt that holds them to the drive shaft wouldn't line up and the angle was off. If I recall the part numbers are on the rods and you can look them up. G.M.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis/Arkansas View Post
Hey Don, 70" is the correct length for your application. There is a bracket held on by the front radius rod bolt (see pic). The brake fitting that splits the brake lines is bolted through the left radius rod, again see pics. Tha hole is located on the top of the rod approximately 7 1/4" back from the front of the rod. The hole should go all the way through the radius rod. If I can be of anymore help, please feel free to ask. Dennis/Arkansas
hay is that in your house, your wife must be cool!!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
Dennis/Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
hay is that in your house, your wife must be cool!!
Hey Brendan, Yeah, that's my humble abode. Thanking you for saying it's cool. One reason may be that I just recently got rid of "She who must be obeyed"!! Dennis/Arkansas
Old 05-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Flathead Fever

My 80 year old next door neighbor has a ‘41 Ford Pickup he bought from the original owner 40 years ago. This one is pretty original, it is loaded with every available option, all two of them, sun visors and a column shift. From the looks of it I don’t think the rearend has ever been out of it. I crawled under it and got you some photos of the original rearend hardware and brake lines. In my opinion the ‘41 Ford Pickup is the beautiful pickup ever built. I have dibs on this one!

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '41 Pickup 006.jpg (328.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg '41 Pickup 003 copy.jpg (404.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg '41 Pickup 004 copy.jpg (490.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg '41 Pickup 007 copy.jpg (416.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg '41 Pickup 010 copy.jpg (435.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg '41 Pickup 012 copy.jpg (440.2 KB, 14 views)
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:02 AM   #10
Don Cape Cod

Wow! What great responses! And pictures to boot! We'll probably have to make up the hand brake bracket. Will now have to find a pair of '37 to '40 radius rods. We had a quick response when we asked for a '41 set, which we'll put up for resale. As an aside, the cab has been restored by Dave Simard with just beautiful metal work!

I've got to figure out how to print just one picture and how to get full right margin of text.
Don Cape Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
Dennis/Arkansas

Hey Don, If you'd like a tracing of the bracket, I'd be happy to send it to you. Let me know. Dennis/Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cape Cod View Post
Wow! What great responses! And pictures to boot! We'll probably have to make up the hand brake bracket. Will now have to find a pair of '37 to '40 radius rods. We had a quick response when we asked for a '41 set, which we'll put up for resale. As an aside, the cab has been restored by Dave Simard with just beautiful metal work!

I've got to figure out how to print just one picture and how to get full right margin of text.