Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2016, 07:28 AM   #1
Safewiz

Default MMO use ?

After reading many tips on the forums, I noticed quite a few post of people using MMO in their fuel. Wanting to do all the best things I can to keep my A in the best shape I can, would like to know the best amount to put in. I have used in the past on occasion, but not as a regular thing. Thanks in advance for your help here.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: MMO use ?

I use 2oz to about 3/4 tank I never fill all the way up
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:43 AM   #3
inex01

Thumbs up Re: MMO use ?

MMO Main liner.jpg

My Car is "Main Lining" MMO!
Old 07-20-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I use 3-4 ounces per tank full. I find it makes a significant difference in performance ! Pay no attention to the Barners that refer to it as snake oil! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #5
eagle

Automatic transmission fluid is also good. Couple Oz per fill.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
iverson

My thought is if nothing else mmo or any light oil will help protect the tank from rust
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #7
1931 flamingo

I usually go "glug, glug, glug" and then put in 10$ worth of gas. Not going to hurt anything.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:42 PM   #8
Royce P

You have to be the type of guy who believes all science is bunk, and that anything that you hear in a trailer park is factual. Once you have achieved those goals Marvel Mystery Oil will protect you for life!

Of course you could simply use gasoline in your gas tank and oil in the in the crank case with exactly the same results.

Marvel Mystery oil is a mystery in that anyone can take the claims of any benefit whatsoever seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safewiz View Post
After reading many tips on the forums, I noticed quite a few post of people using MMO in their fuel. Wanting to do all the best things I can to keep my A in the best shape I can, would like to know the best amount to put in. I have used in the past on occasion, but not as a regular thing. Thanks in advance for your help here.
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce P View Post
You have to be the type of guy who believes all science is bunk, and that anything that you hear in a trailer park is factual. Once you have achieved those goals Marvel Mystery Oil will protect you for life!

Of course you could simply use gasoline in your gas tank and oil in the in the crank case with exactly the same results.

Marvel Mystery oil is a mystery in that anyone can take the claims of any benefit whatsoever seriously.
Life must be very sad when everything you believe in must be proven by science. Many scientists have ended up in institutions. There is so much in life that scientists have not been able to figure out. I will continue to believe 50 years of MMO testimonials. Wayne
Old 07-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #10
tbirdtbird
BANNED

what is the extent of your automotive mechanical background......how many vintage cars have you worked on and what type of work have you done to them?
Have you ever done a valve job? Encountered sticky valves? Stuck valves? If so , how did you deal with the problem? The archives are full of very specific reasons that MMO in fact does assist with several problems created by today's overly dry fuels.... should you choose to read and comprehend them
Old 07-20-2016, 04:01 PM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
what is the extent of your automotive mechanical background......how many vintage cars have you worked on and what type of work have you done to them?
Have you ever done a valve job? Encountered sticky valves? Stuck valves? If so , how did you deal with the problem? The archives are full of very specific reasons that MMO in fact does assist with several problems created by today's overly dry fuels.... should you choose to read and comprehend them
Well said for sure, now we await the answers! Wayne
Old 07-20-2016, 04:23 PM   #12
Safewiz

I have quite an extensive background in antique cars from the 50s and 60s era. Been into model a fords for about 7 mths. I don't use ethanol fuel, as I know the effects of that. I have built and rebuilt my share of engines, transmission, and rear ends. Have also done a few ground ups. But as stated only had an A for 7 mths. Again, just wanted to know if it would need it on a regular basis, or just on occasion. And I have never in 40 + yrs had a problem with sticking valves on any of the engines I built. But was curious as to why some say you should, and others say not.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:25 PM   #13
captndan

Four oz. per ten gal. In both A's. Same ratio in the Kohler rider to stop excessive start up smoke. The mechanic that overhauled the Kohler at 350 hours because of stuck rings said 'you should have used MMO'.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #14
Royce P

I own a lathe, a Souix valve grinder, Souix seat tools, hydraulic press, small drill press. I do have to get Babbitt poured and blocks bored by other people since I don't own the tooling to do that myself.

I have restored several Model T Fords, Model A Fords, 1960's Mustangs, a few Pierce Arrows including a 1905 Motorette, 1919 series 38 Roadster, 1936 8 cylinder sedan, a Shelby GT350, several W code 427 Mercury Cougars, an R code Mercury Cougar, a '71 396 (402) El Camino........

I don't ever encounter sticky valves so long as I do my job properly. I certainly have had a sticky valve or two over the years. Adding oil to the gas or oil to the oil is a useless idiotic thing to do from my experience. The "archives" (whatever that means) ????

I am an FAA licensed A+P / Inspection Authorized mechanic with 38 years in the industry. My aircraft work primarily has been involved with Avionics and management over the past 20 or so years. I did quite a bit of turbine engine and APU work in the late 1970's / early 1980's.

One of my favorite things to ask when I take my IA annual refresher every year is when the aviation fuel expert finishes his presentation. Then I ask him what he thinks about Marvel Mystery Oil. Of course it is not legal for use in aircraft and has been linked to fatalities of those poor misguided souls who believe in such nonsense.

As you might imagine there is little respect for things that don't work in the aviation community, as well as within the circles of machinists and automotive restoration experts.

Quote:
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Old 07-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #15
Royce P

I just noticed that you live in Dallas - you need to come over and see if there is a solid knowledge base here in my shop. Send me a PM. My current customer projects include a 1909 T and a 1966 Corvette.

Quote:
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Old 07-20-2016, 06:13 PM   #16
mshmodela

As a newbie, 100% gasoline made a big difference for my car... 4oz/10gal of gasoline... And most important, drive the car at least 3 times a week --helps clean things out..

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:39 PM   #17
tbirdtbird
BANNED

The world of aviation is very different than vintage cars, which were designed to run on real gasoline, which was not anywhere as dry and non-lubricating then as it is now, especially mixed with ethanol.

As an example, most civilians are not aware that AV gas has no ethanol at all, and still has some lead. So, you live in a very different world. I would not be surprised if you are running AV gas in your vintage cars if the valves have never gummed up. This is like comparing apples and oranges.

I will agree to stop using MMO if you will agree to fix my valves.

Advice given here needs to be appropriate for the masses who try to have their Model As as dependable as possible, and many of these drivers are not able to do extensive repair on their own.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #18
Safewiz

There seems to be a lot of different views on this subject. Having built more than a few flatheads, not As, but 40s, I never had a problem with valves. I will not run ethanol fuel for various reasons, one being alcohol is to dry for the older engines. Not good for the new ones either. But I am learning more about the A engines, and will continue to learn as I did with others. I want to thank everyone for there responses to my inquiry, an as always I take away a little more than I came in with.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

Good gas without ethanol and 4 ounces of MMO to 10 gallons works fine for me.

Corn crap with no additives has caused my carbureted engines many problems.

Believe as you like, but when something works I stick with it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #20
George Miller

I will keep using mmo with the crap gas also. The crap gas causes all kind of problems. We can not always get good gas when on tours.

By the way my 1966 Vette is running fine with the MMO, It has over 200,000 miles, have owned it 46 years.

Last edited by George Miller; 07-20-2016 at 07:48 PM.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote