Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2016, 10:39 PM   #1
Model A Fan

Default "Blueprints" for Wood Kits-Is there such a thing?

I recently started getting equipment for woodworking and figured I'd combine these two hobbies and make something useful for myself.

Are there any plans out there that I can download or buy to make my own wood kit for a 30-31 roadster? I'd rather be able to make my own than shell out the couple hundred bucks for a kit.
Model A Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:45 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: "Blueprints" for Wood Kits-Is there such a thing?

Yep, the blueprints are for sale at the Bensen Research Library in Dearborn, MI.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:45 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

What Brent is not telling you is that it could cost thousands to obtain the prints. The Benson Center gets money to do the research and then you have to purchase the files that would have several revisions and then there is the possibility that some of the prints might not be readable. You can save money by going to Dearborn yourself but the cost of the trip becomes part of the documentation cost.

Short answer, while the research center has what you need the cost to obtain them would be more than the cost of "a couple hundred bucks for a kit".
Old 01-01-2016, 11:54 PM   #4
Rowdy
BANNED

Not to mention there are restrictions to the use of the prints. You can not reproduce the prints and sell them and you can not use them to make the parts and sell the parts unless you pay a considerable amount more. Unfortunately with some body styles there are not many other options. Rod
Old 01-02-2016, 12:05 AM   #5
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

I recall a fellow witn the last name of "Cabella" who offers Model A wood kits.

Don't know first name or location. I guess tne message is, find the best wood supplier. Maybe othere here will give you better information.

Larry
Old 01-02-2016, 02:01 AM   #6
Model A Fan

Dang, so it sounds like the plans cost more than feasible. I guess I can thank myself for liking the roadster instead of the fordor or tudor...those wood kits are insane!
Model A Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:08 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Fan View Post
Dang, so it sounds like the plans cost more than feasible. I guess I can thank myself for liking the roadster instead of the fordor or tudor...those wood kits are insane!
I suppose it's like the saying that "If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!". Yes, the print copies are expensive but they do not need to be purchased. If you are at the library, you can view the prints and make notes of dimensions onto your own paper. If you are truly seeking to enter into this market as a career, you should strongly consider digitizing all of the prints in CAD and use a CNC Router (-or mill) to make the pieces.

I think the "Cabelas" comment was meant to be Cubels. Do your research first before you make a purchase would be my advice.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:14 AM   #8
fiftyv8

Try these guys.

http://www.classicwoodproductsllc.com/
fiftyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:06 AM   #9
Terry, NJ

I am a former Tool and Die maker and I'm restoring a 30 Town Sedan. So I assumed I could make these pieces, What the heck? It's only wood, right? Uhh! I had guess again and again.
Someone once posted a print of a wooden part and in the info block, they listed the tolerances as plus or minus .010! That's pretty close for wood, in 1930. I was glad I used a Vernier to get sizes and a good angle gauge. There are very few square angles on these parts. The angles are small and easy to over look. No they are important! Getting the wood was easy. I just cut an Ash tree down and had it milled. I've got pics in my album, My A. Just go to my profile and scroll the albums. If you're interested, There are pics of Henry Ford's, wood production center in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where the wood parts were actually made.
I had to buy the top wood and the bottom sills at a cost of around $1600. At the time, The entire wooden parts cost a little over $4000. Today, it's over $5000.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:24 AM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
I am a former Tool and Die maker and I'm restoring a 30 Town Sedan. So I assumed I could make these pieces, What the heck? It's only wood, right? Uhh! I had guess again and again.
Someone once posted a print of a wooden part and in the info block, they listed the tolerances as plus or minus .010! That's pretty close for wood, in 1930. I was glad I used a Vernier to get sizes and a good angle gauge. There are very few square angles on these parts. The angles are small and easy to over look. No they are important! Getting the wood was easy. I just cut an Ash tree down and had it milled. I've got pics in my album, My A. Just go to my profile and scroll the albums. If you're interested, There are pics of Henry Ford's, wood production center in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where the wood parts were actually made.
I had to buy the top wood and the bottom sills at a cost of around $1600. At the time, The entire wooden parts cost a little over $4000. Today, it's over $5000.
Terry
And "they' make JOKES about Old Chebbys having SO MUCH WOOD??????????????????????HMMMN! I'm so surprised that Henry DIDN'T make ALL STEEL bodies.
Bill W.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Fan View Post
I recently started getting equipment for woodworking and figured I'd combine these two hobbies and make something useful for myself.

Are there any plans out there that I can download or buy to make my own wood kit for a 30-31 roadster? I'd rather be able to make my own than shell out the couple hundred bucks for a kit.
A couple hundred bucks !!! Where ???
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:08 PM   #12
Terry, NJ

And..... Don't forget, Henry only used Pyroxylin (sp ?) lacquer as a wood preservative and he painted only the sides that were exposed. When you remove the wood, the side up against the body is the natural surfaces.And there's no paint on the steel where the wood was. Hey it made 80+ years. The Chebbies, from what I'm told, didn't last. Plus they broke their rear axles. My friend Ron has a 29 with modern axles just for that reason. I remember Dad's cousin saying that the late 20s, early 30s Chevies were famous for being axle breakers.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
And "they' make JOKES about Old Chebbys having SO MUCH WOOD??????????????????????HMMMN! I'm so surprised that Henry DIDN'T make ALL STEEL bodies.
Bill W.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #13
Rowdy
BANNED

One advantage to buying the prints instead of using what is out there from some of the people who make the current kits is they do not require as much work to make them fit properly. I know of one person who purchased the kit for his delivery from the only person who has made the kits in the last 15 years and now has a 1/4" gap above his rear door. No problems with this using the prints. With the cost of the kit that has been made the money is working out about the same. This is not true of the kits for the more common body styles. Rod
Old 01-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #14
Cool Hand Lurker

I have never put in a kit but from past replies on this forum by people who know there is still a lot of work making the pre-cut pieces actually fit together well. Either way it is not an easy job.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote