Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
dlfrisch

Default "A" Selling or Marketing Interest

There was a recent Post, by Jupiter Bandit, about selling his “A” roadster. There were many comments on owning, buying and selling. We are in the process of relocating our residence and have to many vehicles to move. One of our vehicles is an excellent 1930 Model A coupe, that is for sale and I can’t seem to excite any interest. It is a completely re-stored frame up, inside and out, plus totally rebuilt engine. I have near $25K +/- in it. Perfect condition and I have been asking $20K. It has rousted very little interest to date. It will be advertised in the Model A - Restorer Magazine this coming issue. If, anyone on the Ford Barn knows of anyone, that my have an interested - pass the word on.

I have owned a few Model A’s over the years. Both my wife and I, love to work on our Model A’s together and we surely enjoy touring around and getting so many thumbs-up and discussions with a lot of people. Hopefully, when we get relocated, we will find another A to work on and enjoy.
20150203_135426 (640x360).jpg
20150203_135650 (640x308).jpg
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:40 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: "A" Selling or Marketing Interest

Why take a 5+k loss and then buy another after relocation? You could put your A in storage and retrieve it after your relocation much cheaper.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #3
2935ford

^^^^
x2
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
CarlG

I was wondering the same thing. (You could park it at my place for a couple of years if needed!)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
1931 flamingo

I think you're going to have to face reality and prepare yourself to take a larger than 5K loss... JMO
Paul in CT

BTWay: nice looking coupe.
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:54 PM   #6
2manycars

Asking prices for model As are higher than the market will bear. The amount one has spent restoring a car has little to do with it's market value. Our generation is dying off, and not buying cars like we did 10 years ago. All of this has hurt the resale price of the model A.
It might be better to keep the car.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #7
dlfrisch

Thanks to all....CarlG in Alaska, my grandson (by marriage to my wife) is coming in from Fairbanks to be married in Tennessee, next month. Maybe, I'll have them drive my A back to your place for visitation and a temporary home for awhile.

To all, I'm not in dire need to sell or get rid of my neat "A". I just think it would make a nice home for someone interested in a restored Model A with only about 3,000 miles on it since being reborn..
Old 10-19-2015, 06:35 PM   #8
dlfrisch

woops....wife's family
Old 10-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #9
Barry B./ Ma.

Nice car but the market probably will only bear 14000. If I were you I would test the waters with the ad you mentioned but set the price around 16500 and see what happens. A dealer may be interested but he needs to make a profit of 2 -3000 on a sale. I just went through that with my 30 roadster.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

Stupid Internet, TV Car Auctions, trumped up Car Restoration Shows, etc, have convinced the public that anything OLD, CLASSIC, HOT RODDED, RESTORED, ETC, is worth a small FORTUNE!!! Get REAL!!! Many asking prices are BEYOND BELIEF!
Bill W.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #11
monto

For maybe less than the amount of loss in a hypothetical sale, the car could probably be stored in a climate controlled environment and when desired, be shipped first class to it's new home. I may be out in 'left field', but just a thought...........
monto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:27 PM   #12
eagle

Sometimes an auction is a good way to get top dollar, but can be a gamble too.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #13
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
Asking prices for model As are higher than the market will bear. The amount one has spent restoring a car has little to do with it's market value. Our generation is dying off, and not buying cars like we did 10 years ago. All of this has hurt the resale price of the model A.
It might be better to keep the car.
I totally agree, a lot of common sense in a few sentences! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #14
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Stupid Internet, TV Car Auctions, trumped up Car Restoration Shows, etc, have convinced the public that anything OLD, CLASSIC, HOT RODDED, RESTORED, ETC, is worth a small FORTUNE!!! Get REAL!!! Many asking prices are BEYOND BELIEF!
Bill W.
If you think this one is bad, if you can imagine last week a guy at Hershey was trying to get 20 thousand for a Tudor !!! Wayne
Old 10-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. View Post
Nice car but the market probably will only bear 14000. If I were you I would test the waters with the ad you mentioned but set the price around 16500 and see what happens. A dealer may be interested but he needs to make a profit of 2 -3000 on a sale. I just went through that with my 30 roadster.
I dunno Barry. Just last Friday I sold a non-running '30 Coupe for $13k that was amaturely restored about 20 years ago. We pulled it out of my storage building (where it had been setting for about 3 years) and said "There it is." He recognized it at a nice car that just needed a full weekend's worth of labor and some parts (battery, tubes, hoses, etc.). He had been looking for about a year and was looking at cars priced about $5k more that he felt were poorly restored. I honestly feel that buyers are more knowledgable about the cars they are looking at. There are some folks who will see Mr. Frisch's Coupe as a value. It just needs to be at the right place at the right time!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #16
mshmodela

Some of the best "things" in life are not free and owning an A is just that... not free but very enjoyable.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #17
2manycars

Brent, the key phrase in what you said is "the right place at the right time". Here in the northeast, prices are not real high. I suspect that down south the prices are better, and also on the west coast. The middle of the country has always had lower prices than both coasts. I know a man who is trying to sell a coupe with a new quality rebuilt engine, great paint, and new firestone tires, and he can't get $12,500. The interior is substandard, but the rest of the car is nice.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:31 PM   #18
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Sometimes an auction is a good way to get top dollar, but can be a gamble too.
Try to get it into a televised auction, the cars there seem to bring stupid money, do a search for Barrett Jackson, Reno Tahoe 2014. There was a 1930 coupe restored in the '70's that went for 42,900.00.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archi...T-COUPE-174750

Between the average Joe, you will have to wait a while (IMHO) to get the 20K you are asking.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:41 AM   #19
ronn

Brent, as a top quality restorer, I believe you have a different market. People trust your advice and I believe, will pay a bit more.
I agree with Barry on pricing, here in the northeast, coupes are very reasonable, as are most A's.
Keeping the car is the best option, unless you want to go onto a different model or just plain downsize.
I was offered a fully restored 29 coupe a little over a month ago-had a new Schwamms engine-paint needed to be redone, but car looked nice-8k. It was tempting
but how many can you buy?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:00 AM   #20
Rex_A_Lott

I checked the Greenville,SC Craigslist, I didnt see your car. So where are you trying to sell it?
The ones I usually see there dont last very long...I "assume" they are selling, or maybe the owner changes his mind.
Goodguys car show in Charlotte this weekend, might be worth it to load it up and haul it up there if you are serious about selling it off.
Also the Mountain Moonshine Festival this weekend in Dawsonville, Ga. Typically an older, slower crowd there...maybe more nostalgic for an older car.
Good Luck
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #21
dlfrisch

Rex A Lott....I had the "A" on or in Craigslist, a few weeks ago ( Greenville/Spartanburg). No interest, no sale. I will look into the Charlotte Goodguys car show. It would be a nice Model A trip. I have to look up Dowsonville, Ga - not sure where it is.

Like most of the Barn's people say and are probably right on ....keep the car. My wife and I love it, we use it and we are not going to give it away. I can have it and our two Harley's shipped to Florida from here for $1K dollars.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #22
CarlG

No more distance than it is from SC to FL, I'd just drive it down there.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #23
mrtexas

Just sold my 29 roadster for $18k with Hemmings online. No other 29 roadster with fresh restore out there for anywhere near my asking price. Also had it on craigslist and ebay. Only had one response in 3 months. It looked very nice and had brand new mechanical brakes, fresh paint and interior. Everything gone thru except motor. It will be in the upcoming Model A mags. I got lucky though, it had lots of bondo. Buyer didn't check for bondo.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Have you noticed, there seems to be LOTS & LOTS & LOTS of ROADSTERS for sale? Wonder why???????????----Are they slow sellers????????????
Bill W.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #25
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Have you noticed, there seems to be LOTS & LOTS & LOTS of ROADSTERS for sale? Wonder why???????????----Are they slow sellers????????????
Bill W.

People can't afford the Roadsters and they are buying the base Model A ( Tudor ) which is obviously much cheaper! Wayne
Old 10-20-2015, 12:02 PM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
Brent, the key phrase in what you said is "the right place at the right time".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Brent, as a top quality restorer, I believe you have a different market. People trust your advice and I believe, will pay a bit more.
Maybe so (-and Ronn I appreciate your compliment! ) but I get many calls asking if I know of a good this/that for sale. For the most part, I just do not sell cars (--or many parts of mine for that matter! ) simply because I do not have the time or desire to do so. Below are some pix of the one I just sold. Again, it was a nice older restoration but it had sat for the 3 years I owned it, -and as you can tell by the pictures that it was not totally authentic. I say all of that to point out this, ...most true buyers outside of the clubs or Fordbarn really do not care about authenticity. Instead they care about pretty aesthetics ...and that it is not going to leave them stranded. The heavier emphasis is on buying 'shiny'.

AND, what I believe that most folks here do not realize is, ( from my experiences) the majority of Model-A owners out there in the world are not MARC/MAFCA members, and as such do not get caught up in the club's mindset regarding low appraisals. In other words, these folks typically value a Model-A higher than what club members do. In a nutshell, I think the only thing wrong with both the previously mentioned Roadster, and Mr. Frisch's Coupe is they are not being conveniently marketed to the right audience. IMO, someone is not really thinking about purchasing a Roadster in the Northeast during this time of year however someone in sunny Florida likely has a different perspective about driving an open car this time of year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00482.jpg (77.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00481.jpg (86.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00477.jpg (78.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00475.jpg (97.6 KB, 54 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #27
700rpm

As a retired marketing guy, I would suggest to any seller that if you're going to post photos of your car, pick a setting like Brent used with the coupe he sold. It's called romancing the stone, and the setting enhances the perception of the value of the car.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote