Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #21
Flathead

Default Re: Mmo

I've used MMO as a top oil for my Flathead powered vehicles for a long time and I feel that it is beneficial. I wouldn't load up the crankcase with it though. Modern oil should be sufficient but MMO does smell better.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #22
Terry, NJ

MMO, Marvel's Mystery Oil has been around since the 1920s (23 I believe) ATF Auto. Trans. Fluid was probably developed in the late thirties (36/37?) for GMs new Dynaflow transmission. MMO is particularly good at unsticking bound up engines. But so is a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. It's good at freeing stuck valves or keeping them from getting stuck. Or cleaning diesel injectors. but will it make a clean engine cleaner? Trust your HD oils and filters (If you have one) To do that.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:32 PM   #23
40 Deluxe

In 1953 I had 3 bachelor uncles who bought and shared a new '53 Ford. They used MMO in both oil and gas faithfully. As I grew up and started messing with old cars, sludged up engines were considered normal. They put well over 100,000 miles on without having heads or pan off (rare back then). Finally it started smoking pretty bad. A wrist pin lock had broken and gouged a cylinder wall, but that engine was spotless inside and the crankshaft was still is spec. I attributed it to the use of MMO.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #24
Tom Endy

A number of years ago a club member had the habit of pouring several ounces of MM in his gas tank each time he filled up.

On a club tour one time the route from Los Angeles included a pit stop in Barstow. When he pulled into a gas station in Barstow he was almost out of gas. The first thing he did was pour several ounces of MM in the tank and then he gassed up.

One hundred yards down the road the engine quit. For the next half hour all the kings horses and all the kings men messed with the car trying to get to run. This included changing out the traditionally required condenser, among other things. Nothing worked. On a long shot they changed out all four spark plugs and the car started.

Moral to the story, put the gas in the tank before pouring in the MM.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #25
bunnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
put the gas in the tank before pouring in the MM.

Tom Endy
Good tip, as I also have been putting the MMO in first before gas.
bunnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #26
Step-down

Been using MMO for 40 year or so in all my flatheads and OVH Harley's in the fuel. Some of my buddy's can't believe how long the top end last without putting in new rings .