Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #1
miff

Default $@&?!..clutch adjustment 2

Well gentleman, I am still fighting the clutch. I did put it in three gear depressed the clutch pedal, hit the starter with the key off. It pulled the car popped and the starter was free spinning and the car stop moving. Great I though the clutch plate had come unstuck. Now I removed the floor boards and flywheel inspection plate. The through out bearing was not touching the pressed arms. Went under the car and adjusted the clutch pedal all the way up to where there as no more adjustment. The through out bearing went in about an inche before it started to In gauge the presser plate. With the
pedal all the way down still it is not releasing the presser plate. Still grinding gears in first and reverse. I saw no metal shavings on the through out bearing. The rpms are between two to four hundred. So it's not idling to fast . The only thing I can see know is removing the clutch and fixing the problem.oh the joy of being a model a er . Before I go through the removal any other ideas or input. Miff
miff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
tmiller6

Default Re: $@&?!..clutch adjustment 2

What's the history on the clutch disc? Is it relatively new? A local AA lost a spring on the clutch this last weekend and it wedged against the flywheel bolts producing the same effect you describe.

I was at a club meeting last night and one member said his car recently experienced a similar problem on a tour.
tmiller6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:57 PM   #3
MAG

Check the lever on the left end of the clutch shaft for cracks or breaks. They are known to break. Replacements are available.* Also the Service Bulletins discuss the shearing of the pin in the Throwout Yoke. I have only seen one that was sheared. If sheared, that is not good news.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Don't know if this is your problem but my clutch arm had a crack in it and would 'give', not releasing the clutch all the way... until one day it wouldn't release at all. Hard to see if you have grease built up in the area.

Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:26 AM   #5
Dollar Bill

Unsure if this is relative to your dilemma but I had serviced the transmission with 90 weight gear oil and began to have a hard time getting into gear without grinding and it would also scrape when shifting. Drained and refilled with the 600W and gear problem went away.

Last edited by Dollar Bill; 06-26-2015 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Correction
Dollar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:06 AM   #6
Wagga A'er

Try starting in nutral
Wagga A'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:23 AM   #7
miff

The car has 1000 miles on it . Yes in the begining the clutch arm did brake and was replaced. The trans has the 600 oil in it . On the broken spring I will check in to it . Thanks for your help. Will keep you informed. Miff
Old 06-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

This thread sounds like a repeat of one from a week or two ago. Is this the same clutch, or is this another one?

To start with it sounds like the clutch arm was adjusted the wrong way. Turn the arm so the trunnion is at the other end of the threads. You want the throwout bearing to be almost touching the 6 fingers when your foot is OFF the clutch pedal. Also look at the 6 fingers to see if they are about 11/16" to 3/4" from the rear face of the pressure plate, and all even with each other. If they are at a greater distance than this, then you may have a clutch disc problem, or badly adjusted pressure plate.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:22 PM   #9
cp5491r

This is a common issue and a similar thread, including one by me last year, shows up often. I guess we aren't driving our cars enough.
cp5491r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #10
1931 flamingo

Miff: After adj the clutch, have you looked thru the inspection hole to visibly see the throwout brg move and touch and push the clutch fingers??
As previously suggested did you spray BrakeKleen thru the inspection hole to try to free up the clutch disc??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #11
miff

Thank you all for your suggestion. I took my digital inspection camera put the prob in the bellhousing. I found the problem.as was stated by tmill6 I have lost a small spring out of the clutch plate. Will do this latter on this summer I will be pulling the motor and replacing the clutch. Put I need to get my 1931 boatail speedster done and on the road first.Thanks for all your help. Miff
Old 06-27-2015, 09:42 PM   #12
RonC

Red face Re: $@&?!..clutch adjustment 2

They say the clutch disk with the upsets around the springs prevent the springs from coming loose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.0 KB, 44 views)
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #13
cp5491r

Thanks for posting your answer! Good luck with the boatail.
cp5491r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:43 PM   #14
miff

Ron C that's what they say , but sitting down on the bottom of the bellhousing there is one of the pressure plate springs . I almost was able to use a magnet to fish it out . Later this summer I will send a picture of the pressure plate after I remove the clutch .Miff