Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
Bill S

Default Transmission repair

Does anyone know of a place or person that does transmission repair in or near Orange County, Calif?

Thanks
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
bobH

Default Re: Transmission repair

We need a 'Joe-Mac'. Did anyone take over for him? What happened to all his inventory (and his cars)?

Bill, I received this same query from our local SoCal Regional group. Here's a couple of ideas to try... Ask your question at...
CW Moss
C&G (they used to do repairs in-house, don't know if this is still true)
Early Ford Store, San Dimas (Bill McGrath or Mike might know someone) 909-305-1955
How about Charlie Stephens - he might know someone.
Don Dexter (San Dimas - he's in the Roster, Baldy View RG88, has a retail shop - or PM me if you can't find him)
Richard Lacy, EV8Garage, 626-338-2282
Jon Roberts, Azusa, 626-969-2646
Just ideas... JMO

Last edited by bobH; 05-19-2014 at 11:53 AM.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
We need a 'Joe-Mac'. Did anyone take over for him? What happened to all his inventory (and his cars)?
I was a good friend off Joe for years. At the end a think he was scammed out of everything by a family he had befriended and lived with him in Corona, California. I assume the inventory went to the scrap metal man. To the best of my knowledge no one took over for him. I attended his memorial service and assume if there was anything left or if anyone took over from him I would have heard about it. It definitely shows the value of planning ahead. Another thing it makes clear is that we should all keep an eye on our older friends to make sure those watching over them are really working in their best interest (which, in the case of Joe they were not).

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 05-19-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
Old Henry

I never wanted to mess with my transmission but couldn't find anyone to do it so got the book and tackled it. It wasn't half bad after getting it out of the car (the worst part). You might consider giving it a whirl.

Good luck.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
Bill S

Thanks BobH. I am a member of the Early V8 Club. Hope to get answers from someone in the club also.

Old Henry. If I had the trans out I also would do the job. But to get the trans out I would have to pull the engine with the trans attached.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
Does anyone know of a place or person that does transmission repair in or near Orange County, Calif?

Thanks
You might try Max Navarro in Santa Monica (310) 774-6723. He is a little far north of you but you might be able to hook up at a swap meet (I would bet you are both going to the LA Roadster show). Although I have not had work done by him (plan some in the future) he was highly recommended.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
mike in tucson

Mr. Navarro usually has a booth outside at the LARS. He knows his poo regarding 39 Ford trannys.
mike in tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
Mac VP

If all else fails, you can always ship it to us here in Ohio. We can handle the rebuild. Or we can help out on the parts if you want to try it yourself.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
Brendan

I had a Falcon with a manual trans, I paid some one twice to fix it for me. after that I figured out how to do it my self its not that hard if I can do it I bet you can too. the falcon trans was harder then a early ford the roller borings for the cluster are not caged that was a bitch pushing the pin in and keeping everything in place

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
I had a Falcon..... the roller borings for the cluster are not caged that was a bitch pushing the pin in and keeping everything in place
Keep the rollers in place with grease. Ya gotta slide the very LAST roller inward from the END. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
Old Henry. If I had the trans out I also would do the job. But to get the trans out I would have to pull the engine with the trans attached.
What kind of car do you have? The tranny on my '47 comes off the back end of the engine after removing the rear axle and drive line. No need to remove the engine.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #12
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
I had a Falcon with a manual trans, I paid some one twice to fix it for me. after that I figured out how to do it my self its not that hard if I can do it I bet you can too.
That was my experience with my '47. The second rebuild all I asked the guy to do was get the syncro working. While he was taking it apart I studied up on it and determined all it needed was a thicker spacer. I ordered the thicker spacer and told the guy to hold up reassembly until I got it to him. He didn't and the syncro worked no better after his work. Drove it like that for a few years before taking it apart myself and putting in the thicker spacer. Since then the syncro works like it hasn't for years.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #13
Bill S

I have a 1950 Ford convt.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #14
expavr

Al Zannino - ATM (his ad is in Early V8 Times magazine)-is located in Garden Grove. His phone# is 714-329-3220. Email address:
[email protected]. You will have to deliver the transmission to him.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:02 AM   #15
Ralph Moore

Get Mac VP's book, makes it easy, I just did a 12 speed eaton trans at work today,with help from a very experienced mech, it makes me feel like I could do a Ford three speed blindfolded!
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:13 AM   #16
deuce_roadster

How many of you used the roller bearings with the soft cages? Van Pelt has the long bearing (7121) that is good but the short ones he has have the soft cages at each end.
Luckily, I had NOS ones when I did my trans but I don't think ANYONE has the short (7118) bearings that are any good right now. Take a file and check any that you are about to use. I would install a good used one before using a new one of the soft variety. This is a big problem, ask when you buy any of those if the cages are hard. If they say "nobody has complained" it is because their transmissions hasn't failed yet.
deuce_roadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:09 AM   #17
Mac VP

Yep, the short roller bearings (B-7118) were not hardened on their end cages. We're still waiting for the next run of the bearings. Last word we had was mid June. In the meantime we are sifting thru our pile of saved used rollers for builds. We'll post when the correct bearings are back in stock.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #18
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
Yep, the short roller bearings (B-7118) were not hardened on their end cages. We're still waiting for the next run of the bearings. Last word we had was mid June. In the meantime we are sifting thru our pile of saved used rollers for builds. We'll post when the correct bearings are back in stock.

Mac, do your records indicate who bought the questionable bearings? I purchased them from you, and would like to know if I'm susceptible.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote