Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
36tudordeluxe

Default "40 Ford steering worm condition?

Replaced sector shaft & roller with NOS unit, the old one was badly worn. To me the worm looks to be in good condition and would like any opinions as to whether it's okay to use it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WORM.jpg (42.0 KB, 97 views)
36tudordeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: "40 Ford steering worm condition?

Looks okay to me. If the other side is as nice, use it.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
36tudordeluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Looks okay to me. If the other side is as nice, use it.
I was hoping someone would confirm my opinion. Lawson, thanks for responding.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
Karl Wolf

Nice part... Better than anything you could get new...
Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:50 PM   #5
Russ/40

Appearances can be deceiving. It does look good. No galling which is a great sign. Only way to know for sure is put it together and see how much play you end up with. Good luck!
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:26 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

What was badly worn on the old rolling sector gear and shaft assembly that you replaced? If the rolling gear was badly worn, I am wondering why the worm gear is not also worn? Unless there is enough difference in material, heat treat/hardness between these two parts that might allow the sector gear to wear sooner/quicker than the worm gear.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
36tudordeluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
What was badly worn on the old rolling sector gear and shaft assembly that you replaced? If the rolling gear was badly worn, I am wondering why the worm gear is not also worn? Unless there is enough difference in material, heat treat/hardness between these two parts that might allow the sector gear to wear sooner/quicker than the worm gear.
JM, here's what the old roller looked like; I too was puzzled why the worm wasn't trashed as badly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badroller.jpg (245.4 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by 36tudordeluxe; 02-17-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
NealinCA

I have seen a few like that. The worm may be worn, so like Russ said, assemble it and see it you can adjust the roller to worm.

Here is how I do it...

Adjust screw on side cover until there is no end play in the sector. Count the number of turns of the steering shaft from lock to lock (for a 18:1 it should be 4-1/2). Count back from one lock 2-1/4 turns to find center. Fine tune the sector adjustment at the neutral center position. There should be a very slight drag in the neutral position, as that helps the steering stay straight as you drive down the road. It will feel looser as you turn the wheel off of center. If it gets tighter off of the neutral/center position, then the worm is worn beyond use.

Hopefully the worm is still good, let us know what you find.

Neal
NealinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
36tudordeluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealinCA View Post
I have seen a few like that. The worm may be worn, so like Russ said, assemble it and see it you can adjust the roller to worm.

Here is how I do it...

Adjust screw on side cover until there is no end play in the sector. Count the number of turns of the steering shaft from lock to lock (for a 18:1 it should be 4-1/2). Count back from one lock 2-1/4 turns to find center. Fine tune the sector adjustment at the neutral center position. There should be a very slight drag in the neutral position, as that helps the steering stay straight as you drive down the road. It will feel looser as you turn the wheel off of center. If it gets tighter off of the neutral/center position, then the worm is worn beyond use.

Hopefully the worm is still good, let us know what you find.

Neal
Neal, thanks for responding, will do as you describe and let everyone know how it went.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
Terry,OH

40 Ford, why the horn rod? The worm pictured looks good. many times the sector roller seizes and this can cause rapid ware. There should be no reason why the worm end play can not be shimmed properly Make sure the gasket shims have the center hole large enough for the race to pass through. A new or roller replaced sector adjusted. Take a look at the filler plug and see if is marked "fill with heavy gear oil" or fill with "John Deere corn head grease" Heavy oil is the same weight as the transmission and differential 140W
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #11
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Take a look at the filler plug and see if is marked "fill with heavy gear oil" or fill with "John Deere corn head grease" Heavy oil is the same weight as the transmission and differential 140W
LOL!

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:49 PM   #12
36tudordeluxe

Okay, got it back together. What prompted the rebuild was play in the sector shaft of about 1/8" in rotation in either direction, when transferred to the end of the pitman arm made the car uncontrollable. There is no slop or end play now. My only concern now is the steering shaft may have too much drag; I used 5 of the 6 shims supplied and it seemed to be just right, added Permatex and tightened the 4 bolts. Added John Deere grease & will install tomorrow and see what it feels like with steering wheel on.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:15 AM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tudordeluxe View Post
Okay, got it back together. What prompted the rebuild was play in the sector shaft of about 1/8" in rotation in either direction, when transferred to the end of the pitman arm made the car uncontrollable. There is no slop or end play now. My only concern now is the steering shaft may have too much drag; I used 5 of the 6 shims supplied and it seemed to be just right, added Permatex and tightened the 4 bolts. Added John Deere grease & will install tomorrow and see what it feels like with steering wheel on.
I took a look at that worm gear picture and from what I can see in a picture it does look good. It sounds like you made good progress today based on this post. Hope all goes well when the box is completely installed.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote