Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #61
Keith True

Default Re: $$$$ worth $$$$

I think that firewall blanket is one of the best things you can do for a coupe.The difference in heat and noise is night and day with and without it.A layer of thin insulation under the floor mat makes a big difference too.You do NOT have an indented firewall.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #62
Harley03joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_A_Lott View Post
You DONT have the indented firewall. Compare where your fuel line comes through the firewall with the one that BobC posted. Your fuel line shutoff should be on the inside, not under the hood. Nice car, enjoy.
Ok I See It Now Thank You For The Info
Harley03joe
Harley03joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:00 AM   #63
Harley03joe

Smile Re: $$$$ worth $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I think that firewall blanket is one of the best things you can do for a coupe.The difference in heat and noise is night and day with and without it.A layer of thin insulation under the floor mat makes a big difference too.You do NOT have an indented firewall.
Thank You Pal, I'm Going To Do The Firewall And Floor
Harley03joe
Old 06-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #64
Harley03joe

Next Question:
Has Anyone Put An Elec. Fan On The Radiator, And Is It Worth It To Put One On
Like This One It's 6 Volt
Let Me Know Ok
Thank You
Harley03joe

Old 06-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #65
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley03joe View Post
Next Question:
Has Anyone Put An Elec. Fan On The Radiator, And Is It Worth It To Put One On
Like This One It's 6 Volt
Let Me Know Ok
Thank You
Harley03joe

I have never seen a fan like that on a Model A with an original engine. To me it would look terrible. If it overheats you should fix what is wrong, a properly running Model A won't overheat. In case I haven't talked you out of it yet the stock generator probably wouldn't support the extra load from the fan. If you add an alternator to support the fan that you shouldn't need in the first place you will probably but too much of a load on the water pump bearing leading to problems with the water pump. I also do not like the look of an alternator on a Model A.

While we are on the topic of cooling systems you might replace the 4 blade fan (it is actual part number 46-8600 from a 1933-34 four cylinder Ford but was the dealer replacement for 1928-34 four cylinder Fords) with a current aluminum reproduction fan. Buy it new from a reputable supplier as some of the older ones had problems. The original steel 2 blade Model A fan tends to fail slinging a blade into whatever gets in the way. The four blade like you have is better but there have been a few reports of them losing blades. Check yours to be sure there not any cracks starting to form and if there are not put it on your to do list.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 06-26-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:37 PM   #66
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
I have never seen a fan like that on a Model A with an original engine. To me it would look terrible. If it overheats you should fix what is wrong, a properly running Model A won't overheat.

While we are on the topic of cooling systems you might replace the 4 blade fan (it is actual part number 46-8600 from a 1933-34 four cylinder Ford but was the dealer replacement for 1928-34 four cylinder Fords) with a current aluminum reproduction fan. Buy it new from a reputable supplier as some of the older ones had problems. The original steel 2 blade Model A fan tends to fail slinging a blade into whatever gets in the way. The four blade like you have is better but there have been a few reports of them losing blades. Check yours to be sure there not any cracks starting to form and if there are not put it on your to do list.

Charlie Stephens
A agree with Charlie, the fan is just one more thing to go wrong, one more electrical load that is not needed and the fan, if original, should be replaced before something happens.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:44 PM   #67
Harley03joe

Quote:
I have never seen a fan like that on a Model A with an original engine. To me it would look terrible. If it overheats you should fix what is wrong, a properly running Model A won't overheat. In case I haven't talked you out of it yet the stock generator probably wouldn't support the extra load from the fan. If you add an alternator to support the fan that you shouldn't need in the first place you will probably but too much of a load on the water pump bearing leading to problems with the water pump. I also do not like the look of an alternator on a Model A.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie:
That Was A Great Write Up On The Over Heating & The Fan Blade.
The 6Volt Elec Fan I Was Going To Get Was Just A Precaution, I Don't Have Over Heating Problems, Thank GOD

So It No For Me On The Add On 6 Volt Elec Fan.

But I Will Check The Blade For Cracks, Thank You For All The Good Info
How Many Blades Does The New part number 46-8600 Have ???

Harley03joe

Charlie I Found This At Macs

Model A Ford Fan - 6 Blade - Modern Plastic With Steel Hub - Replacement Type - FORD
This has the correct taper on the hub for proper fit. It bolts to the hub using four bolts. An improvement in cooling flow. An ideal choice for the "touring" Model A.

This has a 13-3/4" diameter.
FORD MODEL A 1928, 1929, 1930, 1931
USA made.

Due to clearance issues, this will not work on a Model B ( 1932-34 ) water pump.

Last edited by Harley03joe; 06-26-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:10 PM   #68
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
...How Many Blades Does The New part number 46-8600 Have ???

Harley03joe
The new part number fan that was used from 1933-34 and as a dealer replacement 1928-34 had 4 blades like the one you show in your Post #33. The original Model A fan had two blades and was made by wrapping and welding sheet metal to form the blades. Between rust where the metal for the blades overlaps and fatigue the original fans are prone to fail at the worst time and in the worst way. A slightly improved version was released in late 1931 and carried through 1932. The final version (46-8600) was released for the 1933 Model Year and stocked as a replacement for the earlier cars. Failures of the 46-8600 have been reported (I had one fail ). The current aluminum fan has the same appearance as the original fan unless you look closely. A lot of people, myself included, think the two Model A Clubs (MAFCA and MARC) should accept these aluminum fans for Blue Ribbon judging as a safety issue. As I mentioned earlier be sure to get a new one from a reputable supplier as some of the early ones had problems. I think they come with black powder coat but I saw one on a dressed up engine that looked great after a polish. Just for the record, I don't like the look of the plastic fans (such as you show in Post #67).

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 06-26-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:59 PM   #69
Harley03joe

Quote:
The new part number fan that was used from 1933-34 and as a dealer replacement 1928-34 had 4 blades like the one you show in your Post #33. The original Model A fan had two blades and was made by wrapping and welding sheet metal to form the blades. Between rust where the metal for the blades overlaps and fatigue the original fans are prone to fail at the worst time and in the worst way. A slightly improved version was released in late 1931 and carried through 1932. The final version (46-8600) was released for the 1933 Model Year and stocked as a replacement for the earlier cars. Failures of the 46-8600 have been reported (I had one fail ). The current aluminum fan has the same appearance as the original fan unless you look closely. A lot of people, myself included, think the two Model A Clubs (MAFCA and MARC) should accept these aluminum fans for Blue Ribbon judging as a safety issue. As I mentioned earlier be sure to get a new one from a reputable supplier as some of the early ones had problems. I think they come with black powder coat but I saw one on a dressed up engine that looked great after a polish. Just for the record, I don't like the look of the plastic fans (such as you show in Post #67).

Charlie Stephens
Ok Charlie Good Enought, If I Have Problems I'LL Be Sure To Change The Blade To The (46-8600)
Thanks Again
Harley03joe
Old 06-27-2014, 12:41 AM   #70
Dodge

Nice car, good driver, I doubt you could build it for the money you paid and its done.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #71
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Ok Charlie Good Enought, If I Have Problems I'LL Be Sure To Change The Blade To The (46-8600)
Thanks Again
Harley03joe
You already have the 46-8600 fan on there the best I can tell from the picture (Post 33).

Charlie Stephens
Old 06-28-2014, 02:56 AM   #72
Harley03joe

Quote:
You already have the 46-8600 fan on there the best I can tell from the picture (Post 33).

Charlie Stephens
Charlie I'LL Check It Out Tuesday That Is When I Get It Delivered To Me
I Know I'm Jumping The Gun A Little, O Well Thats Just Me I Guess , I Do Like To Get A Head Of Things , My Wife Told Me That She Will Never Ever See Grass Growing Under My Feet Ha Ha Ha

I Already Bought The Dash Insulation For The In Side Of The Firewall 1930-31 FORD MODEL A EARLY FIREWALL INSULATOR Part # FORD 3031-CT.

The firewall insulator is molded from Chicken Track pattern ABS plastic to
fit the engine and transmission setback of stock metal firewall. Pattern is based on an out of the car/truck original. Ready to install. Can be ordered for restoration (commonly used holes are punched) or Streetrod/custom (no holes for smooth look). Shipped black and can be painted to match interior.
$143.00

Thanks Charlie
Harley03joe
Old 06-29-2014, 01:43 AM   #73
Harley03joe

Next Question:
Has Anyone Put A Radio In There 6 Volt Car ?
If So , Was It 6 Volt And What Brand Was It ? Pictures Will Be Very Helpful Or Any Suggestions
Thank You
Harley03joe
Old 06-29-2014, 03:08 AM   #74
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Next Question:
Has Anyone Put A Radio In There 6 Volt Car ?
If So , Was It 6 Volt And What Brand Was It ? Pictures Will Be Very Helpful Or Any Suggestions
Thank You
Harley03joe
I strongly suggest that you start a new thread so others may locate it in the future during a search. i'll give you my answer then.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #75
Harley03joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I strongly suggest that you start a new thread so others may locate it in the future during a search. i'll give you my answer then.

Ok Mike Done
The Thread Is "Has Anyone Put A Radio In There 6 Volt Car"
Thanks
Harley03joe