Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #41
Binger

Default Re: $$$$ worth $$$$

Coupes and roadster bodys were built by Ford. Murry and Briggs built Sedans. Great looking car. have a great time with it!!!
Binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #42
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley03joe View Post
Like These
Yes , those are roadster top props. It has always been a dressup item for coupes with rumble seats and a handy grab handle as well .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #43
DougVieyra

Roadster top rests over trunk/rumble area are indeed necessary for resting the roadsters top, while it is laid down.
As has been said previously, they are not correct nor original to the coupe with a rumble seat. Also as has been said earlier, when they are used, it is as a 'dress up' enrichment. However, as a practical matter, they are a 'pain in the butt' (or more accurately - the ankle) and act as a hindrance and safety risk when anyone over twenty-five tries to act young and climb into the awkward-accessing 'Rumble Seat'

That not withstanding, I see a lot of potentially 'nice' features on this car, which indicates that the restorer built it for functional driving in today's fast and crowded streets and highways. And who know what other improvement features have been added that we do not see.

But to answer the original post - how much is it worth ?
My grandfather bought one new in '31, for about $500. So, I figure that this one (with 80+ years of depreciation) ought to go for about $100.

Of course, some would argue that depreciation is more than countered with the U.S. Dollar's INFLATION ! And then too, some would argue that 'improvements' also raise the price : 'C' engine, Mitchel transmission and Over-Drive, electronic ignition, Stromberg Carb. with down-draft manifold, exhaust headers, Aries s/s muffler, Flat-head Ted brakes, water/oil gauges, Roll-down rear window, etc., etc. And then there is "paint jobs", and then there are paint jobs; Ford metal (fenders, etc.) verses after-market.

I went for the 'real deal' (all of the above + side-mounted spares, trunk behind Rumble Seat, etc.) - basically a 'Show Car' that had been retro-fitted for touring. It looks like the photo (Ford Maroon) that Jerry Kzoo posted above. I paid $18,000 for mine. So depending on 'what is under the hood' and how she drives, I would join the majority of other who posted here previously and say $10,000 - $12,000 should be in the 'ball park' for this yellow coupe. Of course, the answer may lay somewhere between the $10,000 at the low end, and $18,000 at the high end. It depends on 'what is under the hood' and how she drives - and how much of the car was put together with Henry Ford parts and how much was not. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but not necessarily a thousand dollars. It takes much more than a photo to tell the whole story. That being said, it sure 'looks' like it ought to be worth $10,000, maybe more.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 06-24-2014 at 06:11 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #44
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
No The Owner Said It Was On The Frame, And Had Tpo Remove The Cab.
I Was Told That Vin # id Not Come Out Till The 50's And The Mod A Ford Used Body Numbers ?
Is That Right
Thanks
Harley03joe
The use of the term VIN did not come out until the fifties but prior to that they generally used the engine number or for some makes a serial number on a plate or a number stamped into the frame for a vehicle identification number. The Model A used the engine number. If you changed the engine you were supposed to notify the DMV. They did not use body numbers. The body numbers were only assigned to bodies that were not built by Ford and I believe your body style was built by Ford. Ask the seller to show you the body number that matches the title and sees what he does. Do not do anything with the car that involves investing money until the paperwork is straightened out. The owner was right about the number being on the frame (you have to lift the body to see it). This number should match the original engine serial number unless it has been replaced.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #45
Harley03joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
The use of the term VIN did not come out until the fifties but prior to that they generally used the engine number or for some makes a serial number on a plate or a number stamped into the frame for a vehicle identification number. The Model A used the engine number. If you changed the engine you were supposed to notify the DMV. They did not use body numbers. The body numbers were only assigned to bodies that were not built by Ford and I believe your body style was built by Ford. Ask the seller to show you the body number that matches the title and sees what he does. Do not do anything with the car that involves investing money until the paperwork is straightened out. The owner was right about the number being on the frame (you have to lift the body to see it). This number should match the original engine serial number unless it has been replaced.

Charlie Stephens
Ok I Want To Thank You All For The Info You All Posted
It Is A Briggs
Thank You
Harley03joe

Last edited by Harley03joe; 06-25-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Harley03joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #46
Harley03joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Coupes and roadster bodys were built by Ford. Murry and Briggs built Sedans. Great looking car. have a great time with it!!!
Thank You , I Will Have Fun With Her
Old 06-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #47
swo4rd

$14K,
Indented firewalls came out in June 31. The changed was occasioned by the breaking of the welds and rivets that held the steering column flange to the bottom of the tank, and then leaked gas. The complete change included the valve mounted on the recess in the firewall which was designed to take the fuel directly out of the tank into the fuel line, side bowl strainer on the carburetor (see your 31 Owners Handbook) , a new steering column support arm that fastened to the stronger cross bar above the gas tank. The service bulletins contain the note for the update kit and I believe instructions for modifying an earlier gas tank installation and finally, the safer fuel system (and that is relative) does not add any value to the car unless one wants the perceived security of not being doused with dripping gasoline from a leaking tank.
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:05 AM   #48
insomniacshotrods

Briggs built the 2 window 4 door sedans and both Briggs and Murray built the 3 window 4 door sedans from what ive read. 2 door sedans where made by ford as with coupes ,pickups,roadsters. Please correct if im wrong.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:11 AM   #49
Harley03joe

Smile Re: $$$$ worth $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by swo4rd View Post
$14K,
Indented firewalls came out in June 31. The changed was occasioned by the breaking of the welds and rivets that held the steering column flange to the bottom of the tank, and then leaked gas. The complete change included the valve mounted on the recess in the firewall which was designed to take the fuel directly out of the tank into the fuel line, side bowl strainer on the carburetor (see your 31 Owners Handbook) , a new steering column support arm that fastened to the stronger cross bar above the gas tank. The service bulletins contain the note for the update kit and I believe instructions for modifying an earlier gas tank installation and finally, the safer fuel system (and that is relative) does not add any value to the car unless one wants the perceived security of not being doused with dripping gasoline from a leaking tank.
Question ?
What Is A Indented firewalls ?
Is This A Indented Firewall ?? Is It Early Or Late Mod.
Thank You For The Info
Harley03joe
Old 06-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #50
gweilbaker

FYI

http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/cpe-logo.htm

gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #51
Bob C

This is an indented firewall.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valve.jpg (88.3 KB, 53 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #52
Harley03joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilbaker View Post
Thank You I'LL Look For That Stamp
Old 06-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #53
Harley03joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post

Bob
Thank You Bob
Old 06-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #54
gweilbaker

That stamp could show up anywhere, could have been ground off on a previous repaint or even buried in the primer coat. I didn't notice mine until I striped the paint.

Your car looks like a keeper, enjoy.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #55
Harley03joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilbaker View Post
That stamp could show up anywhere, could have been ground off on a previous repaint or even buried in the primer coat. I didn't notice mine until I striped the paint.

Your car looks like a keeper, enjoy.
Yes I'll Keep It For Sure I Live In South Florida So It's Hot Down Here.
What Do You Think Of This Installation Pad

"Just what you need for touring in those hot temps! Mounts to the inside of the firewall. Has a black plastic facing that has mold marks to resemble the old original firewall. U.S.A."

Snyder’s Antique Auto Parts, Inc. 12925 Woodworth Rd., New Springfield, Ohio 44443
Toll Free (888) 262-5712

Old 06-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #56
bobpo1

I have a friend who recently listed his 29-30 (not sure) pick-up for sale a got $24,000.
Driven quite often and looked great. Buyer was from down South, my friend lives up North. So it goes back to being worth whatever a buyer wants to pay. I also know a lady who has an immaculate 30 sedan with a trunk and she wants $18,000. A local guy is seriously considering that one.
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #57
Harley03joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpo1 View Post
I have a friend who recently listed his 29-30 (not sure) pick-up for sale a got $24,000.
Driven quite often and looked great. Buyer was from down South, my friend lives up North. So it goes back to being worth whatever a buyer wants to pay. I also know a lady who has an immaculate 30 sedan with a trunk and she wants $18,000. A local guy is seriously considering that one.
Well $18,000.00 Immaculate ? He Should Buy It , If He Don't It Might Be Because He Wants A Coupe, The Coupe Is More Desirable , Thats My Thinking, But What Do I Know , I'm New To This 31 Car Stuff .

What Did You Think Of The Fire Wall Insalator I Found ??

Thanks
Harley03joe
Old 06-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #58
Harley03joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post

Bob
Ok Bob So I Have The Indented Fire Wall ? Right

Bob Look At The Dash Fire Wall Pad I Found, What Do You Think ??

Must Have Been A Recall Back When Ha Ha
Thanks
Harley03joe

Old 06-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #59
Harley03joe

Some FYI
Enjoy
Harley03joe

Old 06-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #60
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Ok Bob So I Have The Indented Fire Wall ? Right

Bob Look At The Dash Fire Wall Pad I Found, What Do You Think ??

Must Have Been A Recall Back When Ha Ha
Thanks
Harley03joe

You DONT have the indented firewall. Compare where your fuel line comes through the firewall with the one that BobC posted. Your fuel line shutoff should be on the inside, not under the hood. Nice car, enjoy.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote