Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #21
HCO41

Default Re: Flaring Stainless tubing

Thanks woodiewagon46, I read somewhere about the work hardening caused by the rolling tubing cutter and have been cutting the SS tubing with 3" cut off wheel and filing the end square. Seems the ID and OD beveling is important too. I'll see how the Mastercool flaring tool works and let you guys know.
Howard
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #22
rotorwrench

Corrosion resistant steel is a different animal than anything else used for tube, hardware, or even sheet stock material. It's softer than most folks realize but work hardens easily. In the threaded fasteners , it has a tendency to stick to parent material that it is threaded into. This causes galling and makes it a must to use anti-seize compounds. It isn't easy to anneal the stuff and procedures to do so are complicated. The race for better aerospace materials during WWII helped develope most of the procedures for using it today.

Aerospace uses the SS tubing and other materials for high heat applications where it's too expensive to use titanium but neither are easy to work with. SS is easier to drill & machine than titanium but not by much. Most everywhere else, the aluminum or braided stainless covered synthetic rubber hose is utilized for ease of maintenance and reliability. SS has its place but it's also limited by weight too.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #23
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc1941 View Post
You could try taking the annealing out. Not sure it will work, but
Annealing actually makes metals more ductile and improves it's cold-workability. One would not want to "take the annealing out" of a line he/she is trying to flare.

Given that these lines are just low-pressure oil or fuel lines, single flare them and be done with it if you have to use stainless and can't use a 37° AN/JIC type fitting.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #24
HCO41

Rotorwrench, We used to refer to stainless as "gummy" when discussing taps to be used in stainless. I had a brief job experience, (Vermont American), doing special tap specs. for our customers shop orders. When cutting the flutes for stainless and aluminum taps we used a 16-18 degree hook to effectively curl the cuttings into the flute. For comparison, we called for a 0-3 degree hook for tapping abrasive materials like cast iron and bakelite. A higher hook tap used in these applications would prematurily wear out the tap. Our general purpose taps had a 6-8 degree hook. Good info. on this forum.
Howard

Last edited by HCO41; 05-20-2014 at 01:31 PM.
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:48 PM   #25
scooder

I fancy the cutoff wheel may also work harden the stainless a tad. Best very fine hacksaw would do the job best.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #26
Gary in La.

I agree. I spent 40 years in aviation maintenance and all we ever used on stainless tubing was a hacksaw, file and single flares. The helicopter co I was with had a large hose and tube shop and they also used only the same. Pretty much standard practice in aviation.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote