Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2014, 05:44 AM   #1
scooder

Default 1942 woody question.

I have seen in a number of posts mention of concourse correct. If I could trouble you all for some of this knowledge please. I have an engine here for rebuild that's going in a 1942 Ford station wagon. This he wants as per factory. What I'd like to know is the colors of the various parts. Block is a 21A, carb is a 21-29 numbered 94, crab type ignition. 81A heads. I believe we're good on these parts. Block/heads/inlet all green? Generator/ starter/ air cleaner black? Water pumps and pulleys?
Nearly forgot this bit, inlet manifold, did the 42 have the same style as the 59A engines?
Any help you can give me in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:26 AM   #2
scooder

Default Re: 1942 woody question.

Somebody gots to know.
Many thanks
Martin.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
Ford46

41 &42 Fords have 81A engine blocks must pass "shelf test" and are painted Ford Engine Green, Oil pans and dip stick tubes are black, heads are 81A-6049-A (right) and 81A-6050-A (left) raised single letter A on heads and Ford in script on top of head near center. Right cylinder head was altered to provide a second threaded connection to the left of the radiator hose outlet neck for the right hand temperature bulb. head nuts are cadmium plated without washers. Intake is engine color, bolts are cadmium plated as are carburetor nuts and washers, generator and carb studs are bare metal. Exhaust manifolds are left as castings, or painted with black or dark gray heat resistant paint. Brass nuts and S-2 washers hold on exhaust pipes to manifolds, manifolds use S-2 bolts and washers to connect to block. Air cleaners are black wing nuts are cadmium, maintenance instructions on drivers side. use 91A-9600-A dry type air cleaner. or accessory 11A-18205-A oil bath air cleaner (early engine) 21A-18025 oil bath air cleaner (later 42 and 46 engines). Fuel pump is the 11A-9350 (no glass sediment bowl), plugs are Champion H-10 (black base). Generator is black, as is starter (rear plate is unpainted to insure electrical contact). Fan is black has 4 blades and is 16inches in diameter (put decals on fan hub for judging), water pumps and pulleys are engine color, bolts and washers are cadmium (use stainless inside pump to minimize corrosion). Plug wire conduits are black as is the oil filter canister. I think I got that right, hope it helps.....LouB.
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:14 AM   #4
trainguy

I have been told that the station wagon was considered a commercial and the blcks were dark blue.
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:22 AM   #5
scooder

Cheers guys, exactly what I'm after.
The shelf test, the pencil resting on the block behind the timing cover? Is this what you refer to? Cus I have an odd little engine here, not the woody one, another one in for rebuild. Description as follows.
Shelf test, yep exactly same in this area as the 99A 81a And 78 type blocks here. 3 1/16 bore, small (2") rod journals. Slinger in the rear main, no rope seal. Now it gets odd, large 59 cast in the bell and valve angle is same as 59, in that the valves are approximately. 100-.125" further away from the cylinder bore than 99a And such. Round holes in the center of the deck surface.
An odd bean for sure. Nothing is cast in stone (iron) when it comes to these old Ford's.
Thanks for your info.
Martin.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
wga

Ford 46, some great info. What are s2 washers and nuts?
Old 04-13-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
Ford46

Scooder, you are correct on the "shelf test", check vanpelt sales website for engine specifications. Key is proper casting numbers o0n block and heads if this is for a "Concourse Judged" vehicle.

wga, S-2 finish is raven black
S-7 finish is Cadmium
See Roy Nacewicz at www.fordbolts.com for proper bolts, nuts, fuel lines and various other parts. Hope this helped....LouB.
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #8
Vic Piano

Phil, Ford Station Wagons were considered Commercial vehicles through the '39 production year. In '40 they were reclassified as passenger cars.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #9
rotorwrench

The 41A blocks were replacement blocks that were made towards the end of WWII (hence the prefix 41A for 1944). These were using the outer casting shells for the 59A and the inner cores for the older prewar 221 cid blocks. They have the 59 on the bell housing but are 221 engines in all other respects. FoMoCo continued making these for some time after the war but I don't know how long.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #10
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Cheers guys, exactly what I'm after.
The shelf test, the pencil resting on the block behind the timing cover? Is this what you refer to? Cus I have an odd little engine here, not the woody one, another one in for rebuild. Description as follows.
Shelf test, yep exactly same in this area as the 99A 81a And 78 type blocks here. 3 1/16 bore, small (2") rod journals. Slinger in the rear main, no rope seal. Now it gets odd, large 59 cast in the bell and valve angle is same as 59, in that the valves are approximately. 100-.125" further away from the cylinder bore than 99a And such. Round holes in the center of the deck surface.
An odd bean for sure. Nothing is cast in stone (iron) when it comes to these old Ford's.
Thanks for your info.
Martin.
The "59" cast on the bell would not be correct for 1942. (grind it off! )
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:04 AM   #11
scooder

[QUOTE=rotorwrench;858374]The 41A blocks were replacement blocks that were made towards the end of WWII (hence the prefix 41A for 1944). These were using the outer casting shells for the 59A and the inner cores for the older prewar 221 cid blocks. They have the 59 on the bell housing but are 221 engines in all other respects. FoMoCo continued making these for some time after the war but I don't know how long.[

But the outer shell has 59 on the bell, swoops sided to the exhaust ports, like a post war, but a shelf on the front like the pre war. So was the front a seperate part of the casting shell? And the innerds, small bore with corresponding cylinder walls, like prewar Ford. Valve angle is post war, the valves are farther from the cylinder bore.
It really is a mix up of patterns.
Martin.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:05 AM   #12
scooder

The 59 ain't going in the woddy.
Martin.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #13
Barn find

Martin: Check out my '42 Marmon Herrington Wagon on my web-site at
classicmilitaryautomotive.com
the best picture of the engine is in the middle of the front page under Marmon Herrington Woody restoration. Look at the engine section. Also look at the first page and click on "Current Restorations" where you can read about my car. You can always call the shop that is building it and get the color codes from him.
Terry
Barn find is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #14
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford46 View Post
41 &42 Fords have 81A engine blocks must pass "shelf test" and are painted Ford Engine Green, Oil pans and dip stick tubes are black, heads are 81A-6049-A (right) and 81A-6050-A (left) raised single letter A on heads and Ford in script on top of head near center. Right cylinder head was altered to provide a second threaded connection to the left of the radiator hose outlet neck for the right hand temperature bulb. head nuts are cadmium plated without washers. Intake is engine color, bolts are cadmium plated as are carburetor nuts and washers, generator and carb studs are bare metal. Exhaust manifolds are left as castings, or painted with black or dark gray heat resistant paint. Brass nuts and S-2 washers hold on exhaust pipes to manifolds, manifolds use S-2 bolts and washers to connect to block. Air cleaners are black wing nuts are cadmium, maintenance instructions on drivers side. use 91A-9600-A dry type air cleaner. or accessory 11A-18205-A oil bath air cleaner (early engine) 21A-18025 oil bath air cleaner (later 42 and 46 engines). Fuel pump is the 11A-9350 (no glass sediment bowl), plugs are Champion H-10 (black base). Generator is black, as is starter (rear plate is unpainted to insure electrical contact). Fan is black has 4 blades and is 16inches in diameter (put decals on fan hub for judging), water pumps and pulleys are engine color, bolts and washers are cadmium (use stainless inside pump to minimize corrosion). Plug wire conduits are black as is the oil filter canister. I think I got that right, hope it helps.....LouB.
These are the kind of replies I enjoy. LOTS of USEFUL information.
Thank you!
One exception (correction): the generators were painted as an assembly. Thus, the entire unit is black sans the terminals of course. the rear brush plates seen in their natural condition are service parts.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:07 AM   #15
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn find View Post
Martin: Check out my '42 Marmon Herrington Wagon on my web-site at
classicmilitaryautomotive.com
the best picture of the engine is in the middle of the front page under Marmon Herrington Woody restoration. Look at the engine section. Also look at the first page and click on "Current Restorations" where you can read about my car. You can always call the shop that is building it and get the color codes from him.
Terry

Details on your M-H woody, please.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:31 AM   #16
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy View Post
I have been told that the station wagon was considered a commercial and the blcks were dark blue.
As I understand it, the last year for Station Wagons to be designated as "Commercial vehicles" by Ford, was 1939.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #17
scooder

Once again, thanks for replies.
Much appreciated.
Martin.