Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
Roadster62

Default "FAMOUS" MARC - MAFCA Restorations

If you have been around Model A Fords for 25 YEARS or more, what were the restorations that stood out as "Trend Setters", you know the ones that set the bar a bit higher. DO NOT LIST any cars that are currently in the system. Just wondering how the system got to were it is and what cars started the trend.
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
peters180a/170b

Default Re: "FAMOUS" MARC - MAFCA Restorations

Marco ,roadster,, Bruce Bone 400A,, Timothy Kelly's [CARS,list is tooooo long] ,, Gary Karr,,tudor,Dave Lopes 'phaeton,,R. Geer's roadster,phaeton,, Ron Avakian ,coupe ,,Arlen B. cabriolet,,Enrique Kline ,phaeton,,Bill Droege AA Service Car ,,just to name a few.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Steve Ciccalone

If you have back issues of the MARC News or the MAFCA Restorer, many of the nicest cars are shown on the cover with an article inside the issue.

IMO, the cars back in the 70's and mid-80's had the best parts, NOS stuff was plentiful in those days so a restorer could choose the best of the NOS. However, there wasn't as much technical information then so the detailing wasn't quite as "correct" as it is now.

If someone is thinking of building a finepoint car, it would behoove them to buy one of these older show retorations and redo it to current technical standards. There are parts on those cars that are made from today's newest material, "unobtainium."

Last edited by Steve Ciccalone; 08-08-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Add additional info
Steve Ciccalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
dlshady

What about Harold Redenbo's Phaeton? That was a bit before my time but I understand it was quite car.

Deron
dlshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Roadster62

Thanks Peter, I remember cars not owners names. Red Grove was an early parts vendor and I think his Cabrolet/Sport Coupe was a an early prize winner. There was a brown '29 Roadster from Ohio that always truned up at Hershey in the front of a horse trailer, back half was filled with NOS early take off parts.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
dean from bozeman

Fred and Mike Gooding's Roadster A241. It was the first known 3 digit car and was the Model A that brought to our attention the features that are now commonly known as AR*. Doc Kalinka was instrumental in identifying and finding many of the early '28 parts for it.

It still is a beautiful car and truly changed the hobby for '28 owners.

*AR is not used by early '28 owners anymore. Cars and parts for vehicles built in late '27 are referred to as ve28 (first four thousand or so) and those built in early 28 (up to 165,00 or so) are referred to as e28 .

Last edited by dean from bozeman; 08-08-2010 at 11:28 AM.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
Ron in Quincy

How about Doug Clayton and his 29 Roadster and looking back furthur David Sorich and his original 30 Coupe.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
Scott NY

Andy's C. 400A from the first world meet
Scott NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
Ron in Quincy

What about Bill & Edie Jones and their Town Car; it also was at the first World Meet; rated as one of the best restored A's; as I recall a total of 5 A's were put in this category at the World Meet.

Guess I'll have to look at my old Restorers to see the other A's.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
Dick So. Cal.

This is interesting. A question for the MARC historians: Is there a list of all the 'Henry' car winners? That list would probably give you a baseline for trendsetting As.
Just a thought.
Dick
Dick So. Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
Ken Ehrenhofer

To me the most inspirational Model A from my youth was Russ Gerrits 31 Deluxe roadster.It won the Nationals in 55, 57, and 59 and was absolutely beautiful. He and his wife Joyce went on to drive the car and enjoy it. It was the first Model A I saw with those crazy metal valve stems on the wheels. This car must be included in any talk of Milestone cars. Of course at that time Red Grows famous sport coupe was influencing the hobby.
Wow I must be old!!!!!
Ken
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #12
JD Miller

Model A Fords that set the "standard" during the period 1955 to 1961 obviously include Red Grows Sport Coupe and Russell Gerrits Roadster. After winning top award at the 1955 MARC National, Russ re-restored the car for the 1957 MARC National.

Other cars from that early era that set the standard should also be mentioned.

Dick Stockton's 29 Phaeton from Urbana, OH. Ken Coulter's 31 Phaeton from Marysville, TN. Dick Frank's 29 Station Wagon from Chesterland, OH.

Any one of these cars would hold their own with today's top Fine Point cars. The great thing about these cars is they were all restored at a time when true NOS parts were available. With the exception of Red Grows Sport Coupe, who knows where these cars are now? To find one of the Model A Fords, that has been maintained all these years would make a great starting point to re-do for fine point.
JD Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #13
Fred
BANNED

[QUOTE=JD Miller;61094]Model A Fords that set the "standard" during the period 1955 to 1961 obviously include Red Grows Sport Coupe and Russell Gerrits Roadster. After winning top award at the 1955 MARC National, Russ re-restored the car for the 1957 MARC National.

Other cars from that early era that set the standard should also be mentioned.

Dick Stockton's 29 Phaeton from Urbana, OH. Ken Coulter's 31 Phaeton from Marysville, TN. Dick Frank's 29 Station Wagon from Chesterland, OH.

Any one of these cars would hold their own with today's top Fine Point cars. The great thing about these cars is they were all restored at a time when true NOS parts were available. With the exception of Red Grows Sport Coupe, who knows where these cars are now? To find one of the Model A Fords, that has been maintained all these years would make a great starting point to re-do for fine point. Ok, In reply, here is one car that was in the company of many of the early west coast meets.. On page #3 of VOL.#1 Issue #4 of THE RESTORER, Published by "Model A Restorers club of Southern California" you can see a 1928 49A Coupe 3rd place with Mr.Jim Cooley.. In 1957 @ a MARC meet in San Diego it given the BEST RESTORED award.. On the Roadster door you can just make out the inscribed S.D.in the brass.. I bought the car seven years later in S/D, went to Viet Nam, came back in late 1965 put all my NAVY SEABEE junk in the rumble seat & drove to RHODE ISLAND.. Used a quart of oil & one head light bulb in St.Louis.. Restored it again using all or most of what was taken off of it..The only big change was to put back in the Multiple Disc Clutch Assy. it needed for the First World Meet in 1986 where it got a MARC Of EXCELLENCE Award..Two years later with no changes done, it got the MASTER RESTORATION Award.. I still have the car today..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAGE1111.jpg (31.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE1112.jpg (40.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE1113.jpg (62.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE1115.jpg (28.4 KB, 20 views)
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #14
mot

Im partial to Marshall Lewis' 29 deluxe delivery
he drove it from california to Seattle and someone creamed the rear and one side of it on the way up ,they judged just the good side
Ward Sherwoods Station Wagon is another great one
and Dave Sorichs coupe
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #15
Keith True

Read the story on the restoration of Russ Gerits car sometime.While I think it is a great car,I bet today it would be considered touring class.In his own article,he describes making the windshield frame out of conduit,welding and brazing galvanized metal in for floors and subframes.I don't think that would cut the mustard on a points car today.I remember reading his story,looking at the pictures and wishing I had as much to work with.I don't know much about show winners,but up here in New England I bet Rich Bell had as much to do with creating and preserving the hobby as anybody did.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #16
Roadster62

Thank you Fred! Nice to know you still have that Roadster.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #17
peters180a/170b

Fred ,Great story on your 28 coupe. You have some nice pieces in your collection. Rich Bell ,,now there's a name i know. Bought some very nice orginial parts from him over the years off the old Fordbarn. A pair of n.o.s. rear fender brackets for my 180A and a mint orginial cross rear bumper brace for my 170b too name a few[super guy to deal with]. Glad you got Bobby's 29 roadster...it was not being taken care of the way it should !
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #18
Earl McMillan

Does anyone remember Joe Leonarde of Gardena,Calif.He housed 5 A's in a garage he
designed for A's.He had 2 for 17&18 years drove one to work everday in 1959 traffic.
My Questions
How long did he continue driving in traffic every day?
Is he and his garage still active and in use'

The article was in Vol.3 issue 5

Thanks

Earl
Earl McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote