Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
RockHillWill

Default #6 bracket frame holes

I have a question just for conversation, I guess.

The new judging standards suggest that in the November '30 time frame the latest frame has this number 6 bracket INSTALLED.

I have the archive drawing for that frame and it shows the holes, but NO bracket. I have seen (7) frames with the holes, but NO brackets, I have seen 3-4 frames with the brackets in place. I have not been able to locate an engineering release indicating the application of this #6 bracket.

My question is: Are we going to be judged incorrectly if we have one of those frames, but without the brackets?

I bring this up, because if Mr. Ford was so interested in cost savings that he used 9/32" round rod and 'rolled' the threads (to save that 1/32" material on the rods), and gave instructions not to overspray the edges of painted body areas, why would he spend the money to put these brackets, rivets and the related labor and put them on ALL frames.

My first thought is that this bracket could have been assembled immediately prior to the body being dropped on, and used ONLY on the slant window cars.

Any thoughts