Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2020, 07:53 AM   #1
bclement

Default '41 Continental Shifter Issues

New project, many MANY things to tackle!! Today's question is this......How or what would cause the shifter tube mechanism to freeze in the back position? Effectively, I have reverse and first gears. I detached the linkages at the transmission, and can move into and out of all gears, but the shifter won't move forward to get to second and third? I took the steering wheel off to see what I could see....not much. Then I thought I'd punch the pin out to pull the shift lever, except it turns out it isn't a pin! It's spring loaded on the top and bottom?! How does this thing work or go together or better come apart!?

Thanks
Brad
bclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:08 AM   #2
big job

Default Re: '41 Continental Shifter Issues

looks like the shift 'rod' is stuck up in first and reverse? something stuck at the bottom,
maybe give the first and reverse a tap at the bottom down I think cause it looks like
the shift is not in neutral thats what the springs do. I think when in neutral "shifter" then
you get 2nd and 3rd. should be grease fitting down there? I don't know about a Lincoln but should be the same setup and a Ford.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
bclement

Default Re: '41 Continental Shifter Issues

Bob

Doesn't hurt or cost to break out the BFH and start beating on things. I've been hosing things down on the bottom and top end with PB Blaster....so far, no change. I forgot to mention that I had disconnected the linkage at the tranny side....which is where I was relieved to find I could manually move the arms into all the gears. Hopefully, not a tranny problem. Just can't figure out the shift tube issue. Obviously I intend to replace all the bushings.....but I have to get movement to get things apart to get to the bushings to replace them. Hopefully to include the top end too. Thanks

Brad
bclement is offline   Reply With Quote